Sid in Entertainment Weekly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid in Entertainment Weekly

American pop culture magazine Entertainment Weekly interviewed Sid Meier about the release of Civilization: Revolution. For the benefit of his non-gamer audience interviewer Matt Cabral asks Sid to explain what Civilization is, following that up by asking why he decided to port the franchise to the console:

This new generation of consoles can do amazing things, especially in regard to graphics, connectivity, and multiplayer modes. We're also seeing that consoles are being played by a wide range of ages: it's not just for kids anymore. Plus, it just seemed like the right time to introduce something a little bit different for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Sid talks more about why he thinks CivRev will appeal to a casual gaming audience, the differences between the console and Nintendo DS versions and how this is the first Civ since the original he designed himself. When asked how making a Civ game has changed since the original game, he says:

Obviously the technology has come an incredible distance; we're able to bring the game world to life in a way we couldn't back then. The original had 16 colors, and it was a top-down map. There was no such thing as 3D. We didn't have multiplayer back in the 1990s, and that adds a huge dimension to the gameplay. Revolution looks, plays, and sounds a lot better than the original because of the great technology.

The article further discusses translating the mouse-and-keyboard controls to a controller, the possibility of porting the game to Wii and PSP, moving other Sid Meier titles to console, other games he admires and more. The final question is about what games Sid himself plays:

I think it's important as a designer to be current in terms of what other games are doing. I really like driving games, so I'll spend lots of time with those. I definitely try and take a look at everything. As a designer you're always saying ''Well, I would have done this or that a little differently...'' Because of that, I probably can't enjoy games as much as other people. [Laughs]

You can read the full three-page interview on the Entertainment Weekly website.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Any plans to bring Revolution to the Wii? I think the Wii is a cool platform, and there are other cool platforms, like the PSP, out there. We'll need to see what happens going forward, but for the kind of game we wanted to make and the resources we had to make it, the 360 and PS3 and DS made the most sense for us.
    I really wish he didn't have to be so coy. With sales in the black, I'd like to think they're considering to finish the Wii version of CivRev.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

I think the decision to dump the Wii had more to do with the Wii third-party software sales being absolutely abysmal than anything else. Maybe if the sales on the other platforms are absolutely through the roof they'll reconsider the Wii port, but more likely it depends on how other third-party games sell on Wii, and that's looking only marginally better now than it did a few months ago when they halted development. We can always hope though...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I love how people ask him 'why did you port Civ to console?'

Has everyone forgotten that Civ1 was written for consoles???? It got ported to PC well after console versions.

Comment

Yes, Dale, they have.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
            I love how people ask him 'why did you port Civ to console?'

Has everyone forgotten that Civ1 was written for consoles???? It got ported to PC well after console versions.
            Well, Entertainment Weekly isn't a gaming news site, and the journalist's job is to inform his viewership (or readership, whatever). So, the journalist may know/remember Civ1 on a console, he still needs to ask the question.
            I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."

Comment

It's the wording of the question, not the question itself which I find ignorant.

The wording should have been "return to consoles" or something like that. Not "ported to consoles".

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                It's the wording of the question, not the question itself which I find ignorant.

The wording should have been "return to consoles" or something like that. Not "ported to consoles".
                Correct, I see.

Comment

Working...
                X