Suggestion for new type of fortress graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for new type of fortress graphics

As we all should know by now, when building fortresses side-by-side, (diagonally in your monitor), the enemy units cannot go through to the other side. And when you build them in corner-by-corner (vertically and horizontally in your monitor), the enemy units can go through to the other side.

Now I tried to make a try-out of a fortress that graphically shows these 'passable holes' and 'unpassable walls'. Please, tell me what do you think about this.

Here is a sample of the terrainbuildings.pcx. I've changed only the second fortress (medieval). I know, it's not that great, but just to get the idea.
    Attached Files
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Here is a sample picture of the new type of fortress I'm talking about.

It looks pretty odd, but who cares..
    Attached Files

Comment

A little big and clunky for my particular taste, but nice job anyway.

Comment

The only negative I can think of is that the fortress will completely cover the roads. better hope you build all your roads before fortresses.
        badams

Comment

Oh, so it does cover the roads... well - the 'wall' could be replaced with pieces of wall. or make the fortress look like the city walls in the city wiev screen. A huge octagonal wall. On monday I'll show you what I mean.

Comment

You can 'see' the presence and absence of roads in a given tile by the roads in the tiles around it, so I don't think it's a problem unless you intend to carpet the land with fortresses. I wouldn't change a thing.

Good job, aaglo!
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Looks good. Did you change them by era?

I don't have time at the moment, but I will download it later.

Comment

I like it!
                Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Ok, Here's something I did last weekend.

The original idea I had doesn't seem to work very well, when you put the fortress next to a river. The river goes allways on top of the fortress... Like this. (so, this is a failure ).
                  Attached Files

Comment

So what I did next was to just shrink the fortress a bit, and make something interesting to the middle of it. I think this looks pretty good. For a medieval fortress.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And yet something had annoyed me in the fortresses of the game: the modern times fortress. It just doesn't look cool (no offense, firaxians ). So I made my own version of it. Not necessarily better, but different.

Comment

Bah! I hit the wrong button... Here's the pic...

oh... +1
                        Attached Files

Comment

And finally, here's the terrainbuildings.pcx with replaced medieval and modern fortress... also the barbarian camp is changed - thanks to the person who made it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

this looks great... I like the first "cross" Idea actually, I'll probably use that idea in my mod.
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

But if you use that cross idea, the rivers start running over your fortresses...

Comment

Working...
                              X