Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just need some freingly editing advice ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just need some freingly editing advice ;)

Hey all, just some small editing questions to help me with my work...

1.) Is there any way to restrict the production of units to a few cities (a la the way the army can only be built in the city with the Academy)?

2.) A while ago, I was browsing through the CivII site and something that struck me was the symbols most of the units had with them (usually within the shield but not always). Added some color to the game, which I think CivIII lacks. I attempted to do this, Willem I don't know if you remember but your comments helped a lot, but for some reason every time I put the graphics in the game I would just see a distorted rendition of the graphic and the game would freeze. I did my work in PSP7 and Animation shop (both trial verisions), and everything looked fine in those programs. Any ideas on what might be happening?

3.) How do you change the visual range of a unit, i. e. how far it can see?

4.) Trying to make two kinds of sea transports, landing craft and freighters. Landing craft would only opperate in coastal and sea squares and carry light units. Freighters operate in all squares and can carry all units. The trick is, I want landing craft to be able to unload into any square while I want freighters to need a port facility (city). I figured that to get the LC to only carry light units, I would take the unload flag from "heavy units" so that they could only roll off a LC if it was in a city. I can't think of a way to keep them off LCs entirely. This of course would mean the freighters only advantage would be its increased capacity (LC capacity would be 2). Anyone have any comments on this (the reason for this is to have a more involved Battle of the Atlantic).
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

1. Create a new resource with no appearance or disappearance values and make it so some units can only be built with that resource. Now whoever builds cities on that resource can build the unit (this is only way I know of. There is no way to have a unit require a building).

2. No Idea

3. Radar ability adds some more visual range.

4. No way to do what you want here.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Thanks Shiek, I appreciate your advice.

As to my question number 4, I think what I just said may do it. Since my "freighter" idea was to make the Battle of the Atlantic more realistic, while it would be possible to just use the Landing Craft as the only sea transport, since I said it would sink in ocean it wouldn't be useful to ferry units from America to Europe. Not exactly what I wanted but I guess it will fullfull the purpose close enough.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

As to what you said about number 1, that would restict the unit to being built in one city, that city would have to say permenantly seperated from the supply network. Well, you can't always have what you want.

Comment

True. Hopefully we will get more abilities with the next patch.
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I know it's not much help to you at the moment, but the Firaxis team have said, on a number of occasions, that the ability to make some units dependant on the presence of an improvement and/or wonder is definitely on their Wish List!
            eg. making infantry dependent on a munitions plant, for instance!
            As for no. 4, I can't think of a way to completely limit transports to coastal water, but you could make oceans have a VERY high movement cost, and then have freighters ignore that movement cost (IMC=Ocean). That way, even though transports can still, theoretically, cross the Atlantic, the amount of time it'd take would make it not worth anyones while (thus making Freighters more useful for ocean transportation!)
            Anyway, I hope that at least some of the info is useful.

Yours,
            The_Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Thanks for the help, appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker

As for no. 4, I can't think of a way to completely limit transports to coastal water, but you could make oceans have a VERY high movement cost, and then have freighters ignore that movement cost (IMC=Ocean). That way, even though transports can still, theoretically, cross the Atlantic, the amount of time it'd take would make it not worth anyones while (thus making Freighters more useful for ocean transportation!)
                There is a way with PTW. You could set both Ocean and Sea squares as impassable by wheeled units, then select the wheeled flag for the coastal ships.

PS If you set the "Carries Foot Units Only" flag for the light transport, you could restrict the movement of machinery to only the heavy transport.
                Last edited by Willem; February 25, 2003, 14:11.

Comment

Re: Just need some freingly editing advice

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  I attempted to do this, Willem I don't know if you remember but your comments helped a lot, but for some reason every time I put the graphics in the game I would just see a distorted rendition of the graphic and the game would freeze. I did my work in PSP7 and Animation shop (both trial verisions), and everything looked fine in those programs. Any ideas on what might be happening?
                  It's possible that Animation Shop isn't rendering the graphics the way the game likes it. You should try working with Flicster. It shouldn't be a problem working on the units, since you can export the storyboard, make the changes in PSP7, then recreate the new animation afterwards with Flicster.

Comment

Working...
                  X