Final Solution (Govermants thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw,

If anyone is taking offense to this thread, and I hope they aren't, just remember that it is an attempt to acomplish some level of realism. That in itself is a good thing.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Japanese Death Boats and the Thai-Burma Railway

Also keep in mind the Japanese and their attrocities during the late 1930s and early 1940s.

The Japanese enslaved many Chinese, British and French in the late 1930s in their invasion of Manchuria (northern China) as well as when they occupied Thailand and most other southeast Asian countries.

Japan built a railway from Thailand/Burma to China which carried many natural resources.

The Allies bombed this main supply route heavily, but the Japanese employed the P.O.W.s as slave labor to constantly rebuild the railyway and bridges.

In fact, the movie Bridge Over the River Kwai was about a group of British P.O.W.s forced to build a bridge for the railroad and the harsh suffering they endured at the hands of the merciless Japanese and Korean conscripts.

One feature you could have would be that the Japanese get free workers for building railroads, but the workers die off frequently.

Comment

Wow, an American whos seen Bridge over the river Kwai.

Its the only prouf we British can offer to prove to those "We won the war"/"Would be speaking German" people who deny Britain was in the Pacific and deny we did anything to help in the war effort!

They always show that film here in Britain at VJ-day/V-Day, and it seems most of the Men and boys take time out to watch it, the women don't seem interested!!!

Well, very nice replys you guys! Should be good if we can ever get this thing to work!
        Help negate the vegiterian movement!
        For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

An (Edited) Repost From A Long Time Ago ...

First off, certain terms -- "Final Solution"; "Holocaust" -- obviously carry enormous emotional weight, so why use them? I believe the very contemporary "Ethnic Cleansing" covers all (and here I speak quite literally) sins from deportation to genocide.

Note that this thereby takes into account Stalin's pogroms; recent horrors in the Balkans; etc. and so is useful beyond only Nazi-specific atrocities.

As I agree these barbarities certainly can and perhaps should be incorporated, I would suggest "Ethnic Cleansing" be an "improvement", carried out locally, rather than a minor wonder, with the attributes "Resistant To Propoaganda" and "Reduce Corruption" AND generates 1 Unhappy Face.

Also, it should be Government-type specific, thereby vanishing with a change in Govs.

Humbly,

Oz
          ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

Attrocity

If I recall correctly, Civ3 has a concept of attrocity which is to raze a city or use a nuclear weapon.

Perhaps if a civ discovers that you had an ethnic cleansing wonder or improvement, global opinion of your civ goes to the bottom immediately. Civs will ally against you, etc.

Also, you can only use it in a city that you've taken over from another civ.

The city ultimately benefits (jeez, did I just say that) because you'll not have any previous civ residents, the city will become native so you won't have unhappy people when you attack the previous owning civ.

Also, it would good if you got a free ride to nuke a civ that was using ethnic cleansing. IOW, the other civs wouldn't hold it against you if you nuked a country that was found to be using ethnic cleansing.

Comment

For one, nations normally align against a state participating in ethnic clensing to end the act, not use it justify their own use of ethnic clensing. Two negatives might make a positive, but to wrongs don't make a right . Then again in civilization games you are suposed to make a new world, and just because slavery/ethnic clensing/deportation is a modern moral taboo, for a good 2500 years of history most people had no problem with it. So to make ethnic clensing an automatic bad thing isn't in the spirit of the game. Hell, we have the Mongols as a civ now, and anyone who knows Indian history knows the whole "waste of life" story.

As far as the name, my work is strictly for my WWII scenario, so all my suggestions should be viewed in that light
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                For one, nations normally align against a state participating in ethnic clensing to end the act, not use it justify their own use of ethnic clensing.
                Tell it to the Kurds ...
                ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

Working...
                X