Natural Wonders of the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Wonders of the World

Has anyone tried making some of the Natural Wonders of the world to Civ3 by using Resources? Just the images.
    People who design their mods can decide how valuable they are (if at all). Set the Resource to Strategic & set the Appearance ratio to 10 (or less so only 1 appears).
    Knowing you're fighting for control of the Great Barrier Reef or Grand Canyon (or their version in another world) might make things more interesting.
    Last edited by Pyrodrew; November 3, 2002, 03:23.

Thats a good idea. When I get PTW and start making a new mod then maybe I will add some natural wonders.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

You can make Small Wonders that can only be built if the natural wonder resource is within the city radius.
      The difference between industrial society and information society:
      In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
      In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

That's true, but no civilization built the Great Barrier Reef or Grand Canyon... they were just there.

Comment

I got a question: How much resources can you add to the game? (In PTW)
          be free

Comment

With v1.29 (or was it 1.21) there was no limit to the number of resources you could add (previously the icon limit was 24). Despite that change there was still a limit because of the number of icon spaces in the city view. If you had too many resources and luxuries and you opened the 'wrong' view the game crashed.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Excellent idea, the wonder build time could be the time it takes to explorer and research the wonder.. I was thinking in my original game(not civ), I would have natural wonders that would give extra research/abilities to a research camp/city nearby.

Comment

If you can create an infinite resources, then you could construct infinite terrains too.

So if you wanted the grand canyon or the Great Barrier Reef. Then all you need to do is create that image, then break it up into tiles, then you need to save each of those images as a resource. When you create the map, you just have to put the pieces of the puzzle back into order again. - This is great, this is how we can make Civ3 look totaly natural and make Earth look like Earth.

You could create Mount Everest, Deep canyons in the ocean, those stepping stones found in ireland or was it scotland? the whitecliffs of England, you could go on forever.

This would only work for scenarios, since the map generator wouldn't know how to put the puzzle together. But if you wanted a proper Earth scenario, then you could have the Pryamids in Egypt, The Great Wall of China, etc.

When I get PTW, I am gonna attempt this. I think I'll use Marlas World Map.

Edit: I said When I get Civ3, but I meant PTW, lol
                Last edited by FrostyBoy; November 5, 2002, 16:40.
                be free

Comment

Oh and if say you wanted to make the Great Wall of China hard to pass, then all you need to do is make the great wall resource pics available only on mountains. Then lay down the mountain tiles first, then place the great wall resoure files on top.

You can design it so that the resource pic covers the entire terrain pic, so that the terrain doesn't show up behind it (unless you want it to of course).
                  be free

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
                    That's true, but no civilization built the Great Barrier Reef or Grand Canyon... they were just there.
                    I guess you could build the gift shop.

"Great news, sire! Tokyo has completed the Mount Fuji Gift Shop."
                    Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

WOW, this idea totally rocks!! I would love to see this, as long as it's done in an elegant, non-buggy way.

Wish I'd thought of something like this

Snoopy, it's in Ireland and Scotland. The rock formation goes under the sea, and is visible at both ends.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

this idea has worked in Civ II. I hope it works in the civ III also, I'm gonna test it some day.

Comment

IW:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic cuz you made natural wonders for CTP2 or not.

Comment

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

can't tell if you're being sarcastic cuz you made natural wonders for CTP2
                              I've never played CTP2, but I've seen people's work for transferring CTP2 fish to Civ3 fine... does anyone want to think of the idea of transferring over CTP2's natural wonders to Civ3's resources?

Comment

Working...
                              X