SCENARIO: 20th Century Mod – set in 1930

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCENARIO: 20th Century Mod – set in 1930

This is a scenario set in 1930 (you’ll have to ignore the game year) on an original, huge world map. It features 20 new resources (with Harlan’s resource mod,) 3 new and 3 renamed (for the era) civilizations with Civilopedia entries and 6 new units, all of which have new entries in the Civilopedia. There are also 6 leaderheads, (3 of ccm01’s and 3 of sween32’s) 4 of them are animated. The A/D/M rates have been reset for a large map and some units have acquired new properties.

As you can expect, file size is large (16.5 MB ace file) and the first turn takes a while, once the AI gets a grip on what it has, the speed does pick up.

I’ve set up a web page with more information on the mod and the download but any questions, comments or critique should be directed to this thread.

Here’s the link: http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/the20thcenturymod.htm and here’s a look at the map.

Edit: Subject

Edit: You wil need Win Ace to decompress the file if you don't have it it is available (shareware) here: http://www.winace.com/cgi-bin/getfil...nace&width=628
    Attached Files
    Last edited by miccofl; September 9, 2002, 08:55.

Here is a look after 20 turns of play. That stupid Hitler manged to get all 20 of his submarines sunk in the first four turns. (It took me that long to get a spy in place, he could have lost them in the first turn for all I know.)
    Attached Files

Comment

This look very interesting and I am now downloading it. This must have been a lot of work.
      For your photo needs:
      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

looks very interesting, but i don't like playing huge maps (too slow PC, not enough time).

could you imagine doing the same on el mencey's world map (standard 100x100)? that would be great
        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by: Sheik
          This must have been a lot of work.
          It was, I lost count after 200 hours (that was two weeks ago.)

Originally posted by: sabrewolf
          looks very interesting, but i don't like playing huge maps (too slow PC, not enough time).
          Turns do take some time, but at least it won't take you weeks to get to this point. If I were to do the map again, I would want to go bigger, not smaller - It was hard enough to get shapes right (or at least close) with a map this size a smaller map would make for far less detail. The best way to play a big map is to get yourself a good book to read between turns. I've found Tom Clancy's books are great while playing Civ3, he breaks up the chapters so even if you are not finished with a chapter, you usually don't have to stop in the middle of something to take your turn. (Although some turns go a chapter or two.)

Comment

After three days the server reports 149 MB of bandwidth were used, that means five brave souls have downloaded the scenario. (I get 6 GB per month - come on, get me my money's worth for a change )

Turn 21; a world war breaks out. It's the Russians, the Germans, the Chinese, the Eithiopians, the Iranians and the Egyptians vs: The Americans, the English, the French and the Brazilians.

Turn 22; Joan switches sides when I wipe out Cleo (what a "Can't Understand Normal Thinking" - {it's an anagram.} )

I hope all of you are having as much fun with it as I am.

Comment

I haven't had time to play it yet but can't wait. I am working on a way to install it without messing up the current mod I have installed.
              For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

It should not affect your current game. The only change you would see would be Harlan's Resources and the leaderheads, and only those you are using, playablity would be unchanged. But to be sure just back-up your Art and Text folders. The mod does not alter civ3mod.bic.

Comment

Alright.

BTW Miccofl, If maps can get this big could you convert the map to something like 400 X 400?
                  For your photo needs:

Sell your photos

Comment

If maps can get this big could you convert the map to something like 400 X 400?
                    The biggest map size the game will allow is 256 X 256 If I could have made it bigger, I would have (only to make it look better if nothing else.)

Comment

It's time for this scenario to move on...

Do you have any 200px width image for the directory?
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by miccofl
                        That stupid Hitler manged to get all 20 of his submarines sunk in the first four turns.
                        Hitler??? In 1930??? Take a look into your history book!

Comment

Hitler??? In 1930??? Take a look into your history book!
                          Would you have prefered Bismark? I gather you don't have a problem with Churhill and Ike.

Wherever possible I got leaderheads that were close to the time period, "Era Specific," not "Date Exact." (Also, there had to be a leaderhead available to use as I am not an artist.) It was intended for fun, not for a history lesson.

Comment

Hmmm...
                            Appears to be a very good scenario.

I'm downloading it now!

Just a correction: I'd saw in your site that Brazil's leader name is Julio Vargas. I don't have played it yet to know, but the correct name is "Getulio Vargas".
                            In fact, he was one of the Brazil's greatest leaders. Perfect choice.
                            Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

but the correct name is "Getulio Vargas"
                              Sorry, but spelling permutations from language to language plagued me throughout the creation of this scenario. Unfortunately there is no set rule when altering names, place names, etc. from one language to the next so that type of error will occur. At least I was able to get a leaderhead for him, thanks again sween32.

I see from your flag you are Brazilian. If I were to issue this scenario with Brazil as the human player, what would you suggest for a UU?

Comment

Working...
                              X