land mines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• land mines

I know that for PTW they will be adding airbases, but they really need to include mines too, not as a unit, but as a terrian feature.

Having them be immobile units is a really sloppy solution that unfortunately is the only way to go right now. But really, land mines shouldn't be units. I think It would be cool if Workers/Engineers could place Landmines, the same way they can place forts and, in PTW, airbases. They would cause artillery-like damage (I.e. non-leathal) to any enemy unit entering the square, but every time this happenes there is a chance that the land mine will dissappear. Or, perhaps it will only function a set number of times. This would be more realistic than a unit that blocks movment and totally kills enemy attackers, unless it is killed.

Plus the mines can heal which seems stupid. They are really more like defensive turrets right now than land mines.

The programmers have really restricted our creativity by hard wiring so much!!!

Workers shouldn't be able to lay land mines but a mine layer unit would be a cool addition. Or maybe a mine layer could work faster than a worker.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

BTW I know it is frustrating that the programmers have restricted a lot of things but most computer games leave little room for modding if any.
      For your photo needs:
      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

why shouldn't workers/engineers be able to lay mines? There would be an appropraite advance of course. Mines Would take a long while to lay, and maybe when completed they might cost some gold ?

remeber, they don't restrict movement or act as defensive units, just cause damage (over and over again). This means that the attackers attack power won't make any difference, after all, why should a tank be more able to resist mines than mech. inf?

Comment

Re: land mines

Originally posted by Gregol

Plus the mines can heal which seems stupid. They are really more like defensive turrets right now than land mines.
          Have you tried giving them the cruise missile flag? That should cause them to blow up when they're used.

Comment

in current mine mods, its best to have healing mines, as they are being paid for from support, so you don't want dozens(lots). just think of the minefields being replenished by minelayers.
            Maybe make the mine have 1 hitpoint, and a high defence like 25. You can make minelayer vehicles that hold the mines and drop them off, i tested this.. though ai's don't use this probablly?

Comment

Mines should cause a heavy production penalty to the square where they are laid. They should require a lot of effort to clear away, too.
              The difference between industrial society and information society:
              In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
              In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Land Mine Unit

I created a land mine unit way back in January.
                You can download it here:
                Customizing Civ is even more fun than playing it! :) :)

Comment

Realisticly, land mines could be laid by just about ANY ground based military units. Now, a special unit might be needed to clear land mines, say, some sort of military engineer. Mine layers are usually ships. Naval mines would be really cool since it might actually make blockading enemy ports feasiable.
                  Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
                  http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

Anaximander, I have a naval mine unit too.
                    You can download it from:
                    http://pesolocociv.tripod.com/units.htm

Comment

Thanks Pesoloco, I'll have to download it. BTW, does the AI use the unit correctly? The AI is seriously lacking when it comes to Naval tactics so it would be cool if it used somthing like this effectivly.
                      Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
                      http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

The AI doesn't use the mines properly because their is no built-in feature for mines. I have seen people mark them as explore to keep them out of cities.

Comment

Working...
                        X