New resource ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New resource ideas

I would like a collection of ideas about new strategic resources.

I have included a proposed tech, lifelength and terrain for each resource.

Timber (Iron Working, long, Forest/Jungle) - needed for wooden ships and some buildings
    Elephants (none, static, Jungle/Plains) - needed for War Elephants (weaker, earlier and not limited to India) and the National Zoo.
    Titanium (Atomic Theory, short, any) - needed for spaceship parts and some high tech units

Less conventional resources:
    Shrine (Monotheism, static, any) - needed for some religious buildings and maybe certain units. Allows the Sacred City when inside city radius.
    Fly agaric (none, short, Forest) - allows Berserkers
    Alien Artifact (Very advanced tech, static, any) - when inside the city radius it allows the Artifact Dig, which in turn allows really advanced stuff
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Mercenary Camp - pops up when barbarian camps are destroyed. Allows colorless units.

Comment

i often play mods with copper as important ressource.

copper needed in early game for bronze (means no spearman without copper and in late game copper needed for any building and unit which has to do with electricity.

Comment

my resource list:
        original are thre but ivory is strategic, and wheat and cattle are luxuries so they can be traded.
        added:
        timber [strateg for early naval units]
        marble [strat.for buildings]
        palm [luxury] [goes in deseerts, jungle, floodplain, maybe grassland /plains]
        amber [luxury]
        wool [luxury]
        salt [luxury even though it's needed to live not for units or buildings]
        jade [strategic neededfor fancy buildings]
        cobalt [modern era]
        camels
        olives [luxury with farming]
        copper[appears with bronze - i add mining here, too]
        opium strategic [req for hospital- appears with medicine]
        cotton [luxury with farming]
        pearls
        Attached Files
        -whatever...

Comment

What happens when there are more than 8 luxuries? Wouldn't it make keeping your people happy too easy? Or are they all replacement luxuries?

I do like the idea of timber though.

Comment

If you have more then 8 luxuries in 1.29 and have a marketplace the extras generate four happy faces. I find that more luxuries does help but it doesn't make it to easy.
            For your photo needs:
            http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

trading food items like wheat lets you get it to other cities that may be otherwise starving, too
              -whatever...

Comment

actually, in test runs making timber requirement for most early naval units [in addition to other requirements they had] makes it harder. you could trade for timber but then you have to meet them first and no navy makes that hard. in ancient greece they had to build with stone; it was illegal to build a land structure with wood [reserved for ships].

making marble requirement most improvements and wonders means that even though you may get ceremonial burial free, you can't build that temple until you find marble...

i added marble AND olives [olive oil] to light house because the marble was the building itself, but olive oil was the most common ancient light source.

i made opium and marble need for hospital.

i made the harbor wood requiring timber, then in qa test run found that an island without timber could never be connected... need non wood dock as well for water trade... thought of having lighthouse give every city harbor, but my only source of olives on that run was on the unconnected island...

having an option of caravan and mameluke that need camels for resource as mounted unit helped. had to add horseman sounds though as neither had sound in file. cropped their icons from units 32 file. anybody got a single pcx of one squid or one spider or one mech spider? [i'd replace salt with calamaris]
                -whatever...

Comment

i forgot to mention having copper as requirement for bronve stuff made it way harder. if i replaced salt or palm with tin it would really hurt those units... those are early units. opium and cobalt are easy by the time you need them you found some
                  -whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by hahntsak
                    anybody got a single pcx of one squid or one spider or one mech spider? [i'd replace salt with calamaris]
                    The units may have the single Units_32.pcx, my Crawler (mech spider) does, there is also UnitSmall.pcx that may work.
                    Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
                    in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
                    3D Unit tutorial
                    My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

Originally posted by Level

The units may have the single Units_32.pcx, my Crawler (mech spider) does, there is also UnitSmall.pcx that may work.
                      yeah, that unit was why i was think of spider and squid, a civ or 2 that used nature then made mechspider later to improve [upgrade] spider. mech spider has to only add some sounds [not sure what...]

[for caravan and mameluke copied horseman sounds and it works. ]
                      may use horseman again or tank sounsfor crawler.. galley or would ironclad swoshing be better for that squid?
                      -whatever...

Comment

Timber should not be required for the primitive ships. If you start on an island, you should always be able to get out of there.

Another thing that I have done is to make Gold a luxury together with Gems, make them appear in any terrain and make them disappear frequently.

Comment

hahntsak,

Do you have the graphics you posted available for download anywhere ?

I keep thinking that there are too few trade goods in the game especially compared to CTP2, and that a few more would help the AI Civ's with trade.

BTW, I really like your idea of trading wheat and cattle as luxury items is outstanding. Shipping food stuffs around was big business through all the ancient civilizations, until the advent of iron plows in the early medieval era.

D.
                          "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
                          leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
                            hahntsak,

Do you have the graphics you posted available for download anywhere ?

I keep thinking that there are too few trade goods in the game especially compared to CTP2, and that a few more would help the AI Civ's with trade.

BTW, I really like your idea of trading wheat and cattle as luxury items is outstanding. Shipping food stuffs around was big business through all the ancient civilizations, until the advent of iron plows in the early medieval era.

D.

i just used other resources and cut n pasted my choices in the 36 [6 x 6] slot pix

these are my choices:
                            added :
                            timber
                            marble
                            Gas [helium for the airship/Zeppelin]
                            Amber
                            wool
                            Tin
                            jade
                            cobalt
                            camels
                            olives
                            copper
                            opium [required for hospitals]
                            cotton
                            pearl

i chose these to not be tradable:
                            game,
                            fish, whale,
                            gold

everything else can be traded:
                            cattle and wheat because civ2 food caravans are no longer around... [main reason] so i main empirewide food trade so various granary equipped cities could subsidize starving ones. with these changes i get less commentsabout starving cities unless they're not connected - just build the road/harbor and presto....
                            Attached Files
                            -whatever...

Comment

btw i had trouble w/ graphix transparent setting.. look in creation custom resources thread
                              -whatever...

Comment

Working...
                              X