• Show
Clear All

• Nationality resource

I just got an idea for historical scenrios, and i want to try it out:

There are three ways to restrict who gets what units:
    Restrict by tech: the old, civ2 method.
    Restrcit by civ, like UU's
    and restrict by resource.

The last one is seen as a universal- any civ can build any unit anywhere as long as they have the resource, But what if in historical maps we create "nationality" resources? Lets say one has a map of europe, and whats to be able to build 'french troops' simply as long as one has control over some city inFrance? well, in making a map, we could crrat a Gallic resource, and place it on the map in every plave we plan to have a city in france. That way, if any civ owns a 'French' city, they won this Gallic resource, and are thus able to build units of frenchmen. This could be useful perhaps in scenreios were someone wants to lump many states together in one civ, but doesn't want chinese conscripts in lest say, Brazil, so one limits the ability of this civ to move its resources around- buy denaying it harbors and our airports in key places, then placing 'national' resources in certain places, and allowing the 'minor allies' civ make 'Brazilina troops' in Brazil and Chinese conscripts only in china.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Very good idea. You occupy their land, so what they can make you can, too.

Comment

this the idea we have implemented into the forthcoming Alexander the Great Scenario. The idea is courtesy of Kryten (actually, 99% of ideas ).
      [size=1]"As night fell she emerged with a box under her arm that held her pledge of allegiance and her uniform. She laid it at the gates of the General's embassy and her whisper echoed into dawn as she disappeared: The truth will set my people free."
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Visit my personal civ3 page here.

Comment

FYI: You can create a civ-specific resource by creating a tech in the "None" era, making it required for the resource you have in mind, and only giving it as a starting tech to the civs you want access to the resource. For the full lowdown on this go here.
        Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
        Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

This is the method I'm using in creating my FantasyMod, by making Elven, Human, and Dwarven villages. One thing to note is that you need to set the occurence of the resource so that it doesn't disappear and pop up somewhere else!

Comment

I just go this idea too. In my translation of the Civ2 Rome scenario I've put Uranium under one Egyptian and one Carthage city (to prevent trading, each only has one). I've named the resource "Numidia" and it will let these two civs build Impi warriors, mostly just to give a bit more variety to the game. I've kind of done the same with Elephants; anyone can build war Elephants, but you'll have to get them from the Egyptians or the Carthaginians. I'm also considering doing the same with swordsmen and the barbarians. But a special resource that allows either "Barbarian (a 2/2/1 swordsmen to replace their typical warriors) or "Celtic Swordsman" (Basically an Immortal - 4/2/1 - but with regular swordsman graphics) and put these resources underneath barbarian camps, or in Celt cities. I'll probably even give the Celts a few extra for trading to their good friends. From what I understand there wer significan numbers of Celt soldiers fighting for Carthage in the Punic Wars. Perhaps this could be a sort of form of unit trading; give your friends the resources to build your special units.
            You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

This system would indeed make it tempting to conquer the other civs' capitals.
              The difference between industrial society and information society:
              In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
              In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Yeah, and make holding the enemy cities very worthwhile. I think it would also nicely represent making a conquored nation part of your empire.
                You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

posted by: Andrew_Jay
                  Perhaps this could be a sort of form of unit trading; give your friends the resources to build your special units.
                  Good thinking! It'd be just like mercenaries! I really like this idea. Someone HAS to make a mod for it, and not just for one scenario.
                  "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Then it would really make sense for the Indians to have Gurkha as their unique unit - when India was English, England got access to Gurkhas.
                    The difference between industrial society and information society:
                    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

The only problem in this is that the AI really wouldn't know what it was doing regarding it.

Comment

I'm not sure if they will. I have a scenario where I've made a new resource (Elephants for War Elephants) and I'm still now sure if the Egyptians and Carthaginians bother to connect to them.
                        In the same one I wanted to give a tradeable nationality resource to the Celts (they make the most sense of anyone in the scenario) but they're so spread out it's hard to do without littering the terrain with "Celt" uranium.
                        You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

I'm using this in my Rome scenario as well.

silly me for thinking I was original
                          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Working...
                          X