No announcement yet.

A list of things never to do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that in civ2, the AI would build more of a particular unit if you made two of it. (A viking scenario benefited quite a bit from this idea.)
    http://www.ststs.com/CGI_BIN/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=cut
    Dan Severn of the Loose Cannon Alliance
    ------------------------
    ¡Mueran todos los Reyes!

Comment

Don't make the online modder unit graphics completely new unit upgrades in between the old ones. Make them a flavor unit or something compeletly different (exchange a defence for an attack or visa versa keeping the older unit still buildable, and then have them both upgrade to the next level). Having an extensive unit upgrade ruins the game, and ruins the advantage of being technologically advanced.

Comment

Don't add a whole bunch of things at once, then go play everything out. There's a number of things that can cause the game to crash, and if you make alot of changes or improvements without testing each one first, it's going to be difficult trouble-shooting in order to find the problem.

Comment

dont make workers population cost more than 1.. if it's worth more than 1, whenever a worker is caputered it ill split up into new workers (ie if your worker cost 6 pop points, it would split up into 6 other workers, each worth 6 pop points).

Comment

can you split them up into another 6 workers each?
            Help negate the vegiterian movement!
            For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

didnt try it. when I saw the problem i quickly quit the game. What I wanted to do was make workers more expensive to build. The splitting thing made that a bad idea

Comment

i lowerd the cost of settlers to 1, i'll get back on yous if i find problems! (And sombody get in contact if they've found a problem with that!)

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
                  i lowerd the cost of settlers to 1, i'll get back on yous if i find problems! (And sombody get in contact if they've found a problem with that!)
                  I haven't tried that myself, but I'll bet you're going to end up with a bad case of Settler diarrhoea!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                      I haven't tried that myself, but I'll bet you're going to end up with a bad case of Settler diarrhoea!
                      A good solution for the settler diarrhoea if settlers cost 1 pop each - raise the shield cost for the settler to 40 or 50.
                      None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

well, i like playing on an island by my self, so settler diarrhoea isn't much of a problem, unless you havn't settled on every square before they can build galleys!

Comment

Originally posted by miccofl
                          Don't give the settler worker abilities. This causes a "sometimes" crash when building cities.

This thread deserves to live; especially with the new patch coming out.
                          I don't understand. I am working on a mod where settlers have all the worker abilities, and even ICSing like mad, I've never had a crash when building a city.
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast

I don't understand. I am working on a mod where settlers have all the worker abilities, and even ICSing like mad, I've never had a crash when building a city.
                            Perhaps you may have noticed that he had "sometimes" in quotation marks?

I hope you understand as well that the AI will have no idea of what to do with a Settler/Worker. By giving that unit those particular abilities, you're giving yourself a very big advantage. Considering how stupid the AI is overall, I wouldn't consider it very fair myself.

Comment

Originally posted by star mouse
                              A good solution for the settler diarrhoea if settlers cost 1 pop each - raise the shield cost for the settler to 40 or 50.
                              OTOH, 1 pop/50 shields for the human player is 1 pop/35 shields for the AI on Deity, which means the AI's will REX you out even more crazy than now.

(2 pop/30 shields vs. 2 pop/21 shields, as it is now, isn't that much of an advantage - normally, the AI will get the necessary shields for a settler very fast, but the city won't have grown to size 3 yet.)
                              "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Don't complain that Deity is too hard. It should be!
                                The difference between industrial society and information society:
                                In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                                In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Working...
                                X