Lumberjacking Disabled!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumberjacking Disabled!?

Before patch 1.21f I used to be able to pump up a city's production by stacking 7 Workers in a square and having 3 Plant Forrest, then have 4 Clear Forrest to give 10 shields back to that city. I could stack several 'crews' near a city and actually get large projects finished fairly quickly.

Since patch 1.21f this only works once per square. After the initial 10 shields returned to a city that square will not produce shields for that city again.

With such massive corruption (even w/ Courthouse & Police Station) the cities on the 'not my home' continent (away from Palace and FP) produce improvements VERY slowly. Using lumberjacking was the only way that I could get them to actually build anything in less than 50+ turns (and I'm not talking Wonders here, I'm just talking about Temples and such.)

Does anyone know of a way to re-enable this tactic, or any other tactics to help boost production amidst 90%+ corruption?
    Last edited by steven8r; May 25, 2002, 14:29.
    "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

It was changed with v1.16f (first patch)
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I wanna jack the lumber

Is there a way to re-enable it?
      "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Nope, it was concidered an exploit, and taken out. You would totally avoid wast.

Comment

Why only get a one-off bonus of deforesting ? Surely every time you do it, you get to wood to build stuff, wood to burn for fuel, etc.
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Well, let's say that it takes longer for a forest to grow old enough for getting production of more then once. At least if you do it every turn. It would be possible if the plant forest time didn't depend on the number of workers doing it, but always is ready id X turns. And then you should have to wait Y years from started (yes, they grow when they are being planted as well). before you caould get any production from it by choping it down. Lets set Y to somewhere between 80-100 (maybe depending on the base tetrrain). Then you could do it every X turn in the early game when the time goes fast, but only once in a while in lategame.

That would probably work, but the way it was was totally unrealistic.

Comment

How long would you need? 50 years? 100 years? That's 1 or 2 turns in the early game
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Yeh, but the game doesn't work that way. I was just telling that it was an exploit, and that it is unrealistic, at least in the end game. So you never get the bonus more then once.

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                  How long would you need? 50 years? 100 years? That's 1 or 2 turns in the early game
                  In the early game you can plant forrest, however. So Gramphos' rules wouldn't have any impact in that period. I'd like to see that proposed mechanism in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
                    In the early game you can plant forrest, however. So Gramphos' rules wouldn't have any impact in that period.
                    Oh yeah...Doh!
                    Up the Irons!
                    Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Sorry, I meant you CAN'T, not you CAN. But, you interpreted it correctly, already

Comment

I didn't have that in mind when I wrote it. But it makes the idea even better.

*this is the right thread*

Comment

I ain't jacked my lumber baby, since my chain saw you.

Perhaps consistent Lumberjacking is an exploit, but it's the only way to actually build stuff later in the game for cities w/ high corruption.

I would like to see that 'feature' put back into the game. Perhaps not every turn, but at least more than once per square. Even once per square per project would be more benificial for the cities and wouldn't be too exploitative.

If the game wants to exploit corruption so much, shouldn't that be balanced by some exploit that the player can accomplish??? I mean, come on, how could a city in a rich, democratic culture with awesome military might be more than, say 50% corrupt. (at this point I'd settle for 50% corruption.) 90% Corruption is just way to unrealistic.

If the cities could actually use their production instead of it being wasted by corruption I wouldn't want Lumberjacking so much, but there has to be some sort of balance.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Well, corruption in the real world is always higher then you think... But probably not up to 90%. But anyway, I don't think they should put it back in. It would not be good for MP.

Comment

Changing the corruption rate in the editor is a lot easier than lumberjacking.
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X