Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization III BIC file format (2nd thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've figured out a bit more about rivers in BIC files.

At the beginning of this thread, in the TILE section there is this part:

Code:
    2   short           bonuses (binary):

bonus grassland .......1

player start    ....1...

snow-capped mts ...1....

pine forest     ..1.....
    I think it should be:
    Code:
    1   byte            bonuses (binary):

bonus grassland .......1

player start    ....1...

snow-capped mts ...1....

pine forest     ..1.....

1   byte            river source info  (binary)

river in north  .......1

river in west   ......1.

river in east   .....1..

river in south  ....1...
    It appears that the "river source info" is only non-zero if the following conditions are met:[list=1][*]The given location is the point where a river was started by a human using Civ3Edit. That is, when it was initially placed it was not an extension of an existing river. If a river is extended so it looks like it starts at a different location, the river source info remains unchanged. Single-point rivers are encoded in the river source info. I think that single-point rivers can only be created by starting a new river source, and not by deleting part of an existing river.[*]The river still exists in the given location. It was not deleted and replaced by a river extension.[*]The tile is a land tile.[/list=1]
    The river source info is similar to the "river connection info" posted by Gramphos for BIX 11.18 on page 2 of this thread. Maybe that data follows the same rules.

David Arndt

Comment

Interesting observations David I think you are right that the river connection info and river crossing data (as posted in p2 of this thread) are actually swapped over, and that the river crossing data is actually river source info.

I had noticed that something wasn't quite right with those parts but hadn't quite nailed it (ie. I had shelved it until I came to add overlay gfx to my utility). On a quick examination your observations seem to fit, thanks for the info
      Civ3DuelZone - Home of the Civ3 PBEM Ladder

Map Tweaker Utility beta (copy/paste/resize biq files)

Comment

I can confirm that the observations by darndt are correct. (I've not had time to update this thread for too long. I actually worked on the rivers while making the Civ2->Civ3 mapconverter of C3MT)

(I'll try to post the BIQ format very soon now)
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

i'll be on holidays for 11 days beginning of february. with my notebook, but no internet connection.

if i can be of any help finding stuff, just tell me which sections (eg FLAV, UNIT, etc.) you havn't completed.
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Give me another two hours to turn my code into a formatted post. But in general, I think that the C3C UNIT/CLNY/CITY sections are uninvestigated if ther are any changes.

Comment

appart from that there are some binarry flags that I've not investigated fully (I know what the flags are for, but not the specific flag values)

Comment

no rush for me... my holidays are still several weeks away
                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Well, I'm almost ready for posting now. Just have to put the things I know on thye maps together and post it.

Comment

Comment

Hey does anyone have or know where the source of SAVExpnd.exe is? I'm using cedega under fc5 linux to run civ3 and running command line tools under cedega is a pest, so I would like to recompile it to run under linux. Thanks.

Comment

There's Java source in chiefpaco's MapStat code. Find it here on CFC, or probably on 'Poly somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X