Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization III BIC file format (2nd thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, here's my 3rd installment of "Things that are different in BIX 11.18" I know Gramphos probably doesn't have time to verify any of this, but comments and corrections from anyone else are welcome too

RACE section:
    • A 4-byte long has been added to the end of the section for "King Unit" which is an index into the unit list.

TERR section:
    • As mentioned in my first post on this the "possible resources" binary flags is actually variable-length based on the number of actual resources in the BIC
    • 6 additional bytes have been added to the end of the section which are similar to the "allow cities" and "allow colonies" entries in BIC 4.01; that is, they correspond to checkboxes in the editor and are essentially additional terrain flags. In order, they are:
          1	byte		Impassible (to all units)
      1 byte Impassible to wheeled
      1 byte allow airfields
      1 byte allow forts
      1 byte allow outposts
      1 byte allow radar towers

WCHR section:
    • These are 13 4-byte long values corresponding to options in the "Generate Map" dialog of the editor. Most options have a "selected" entry which is what was the user chose and an "actual" entry which is the value used on the map. The actual entry is only useful if the selected entry was "Random"; in all other cases it is the same as the selected entry.
          4	long		Climate - Selected 
      4 long Climate - Actual
      (0-Arid, 1-Normal, 2-Wet, 3-Random)

4 long Barb Activity - Selected
      4 long Barb Activity - Actual
      (-1 None, 0-Sedentary, 1-Roaming, 2-Restless, 3-Raging, 4-Random)

4 long Land Form - Selected
      4 long Land Form - Actual
      (0-Archipelago, 1-Continents, 2-Pangaea, 3-Random)

4 long Ocean Coverage - Selected
      4 long Ocean Coverage - Actual
      (0-80%, 1-70%, 2-60%, 3-Random)

4 long Temperature - Selected
      4 long Temperature - Actual
      (0-Cool, 1-Temperate, 2-Warm, 3-Random)

4 long Age - Selected
      4 long Age - Actual
      (0-3 bill yrs, 1-4 bill yrs, 2-5 bill yrs, 3-Random)

4 long World Size
      (0-Tiny, 1-Small, 2-Standard, 3-Large, 4-Huge)

WMAP section:
    • The ellipsis ("...") on the posted format is 124 bytes of data whose purpose I can't even guess at. In one recent test map the first dozen looked like 4-byte longs with values between 1115 and 6617. I was hoping these would be something like terrain counts since there are 12 terrain types, but I can't make a correlation if they are. The remaining 76 bytes were all "ff" which might by 19 longs of -1 or might be something completely different.
    • There is an additional used bit on the flag section at the end. Bit 1 (......1.) corresponds to the "allow y-wrapping" option which is now available; this is the bit between the two previously known flag values.

TILE section:
    • Gramphos recently posted an updated version of this after some discussion on save files

UNIT section:
    • Is the 32-byte "name" entry simply legacy which is no longer used? I couldn't figure out how to get something to appear there.
    • There are 61 bytes added to the end of this section. The first 57 (which seems a strange length) look to be a "custom name" string which gets filled if you put something in the "Name:" field on a unit's properties after you place it on the map.
    • The last 4 bytes are a long value corresponding to whether or not the "Use Civ-Specific King Unit" box is checked on the unit properties page. 1 for checked, 0 for unchecked.

CLNY section
    • There is an additional 4-byte long value added to the end of the section. I call it the "other structure" value. If the value is zero, this CLNY entry is an actual colony, but if it's non-zero this is a different structure. Defined values are 1 for an airfield, 2 for a radar tower, and 3 for an outpost.

GAME section
    • There are more flags defined for the second byte of the victory conditions and rules entry. These are:
      			accelerated production		......1.
      elimination enabled .....1..
      regicide enabled ....1...
      mass regicide enabled ...1....
      victory locations enabled ..1.....
      capture the flag enabled .1......
      allow cultural conversions 1.......
    • Following this, there are 25 new 4-byte long values. These are:
          4	long		auto-place capture units (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)
      4 long auto-place king units (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)
      4 long auto-place victory locations (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)
      4 long use Debug Mode (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)
      4 long use Time Limits (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)
      4 long base time unit (0-Years, 1-Months, 2-Weeks)
      4 long starting month (1-January ... 12-December)
      4 long starting week (1-52)
      4 long starting year (negative if "BC")
      4 long time limit in minutes
      4 long time limit in turns
      4 long time scale entry #1 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #2 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #3 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #4 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #5 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #6 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #7 (turns)
      4 long time scale entry #1 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #2 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #3 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #4 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #5 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #6 (time units)
      4 long time scale entry #7 (time units)
    • Finally, there is a humongous 5,200-byte string for the "Scenario Search Folders" list

Once again, comments and corrections from anyone are appreciated, particularly filling in the holes like in WMAP. I might combine these into a new thread at some point, but I'll probably just start trying to figure out the next set of differences that Conquests introduces and post that whenever it gets released.

Comment

Thanks for yuor investigation of the WCHR section. I've never figured out more than the worldsize of it.

Now I can improve my map statistics of the SGE.

Oh, and why don't you start a new thread with the BIX format? As they exist in the same time there could be one thread for each of them.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I've just spotted a small correction to the TERR data structure as listed here.

The structure begins with a LONG defining the number of possible resources, but the next field is not always 3 bytes. It's a variable length bit field with one bit for each possible resource, and uses N bytes where:

N = (numPossibleResources + 7) % 8 .... i.e enough bytes to store the number of bits required.

In a some games N may be 3, the size quoted in the listing, but it ain't necessarily so.

This applies to the Civ3 BIC format embedded within a .SAV file. I haven't investigated any other file formats.

[edit] Whoops! Just found pdescobar's posts covering this error. I'll go back in my hole.
        Last edited by AlanH; August 9, 2003, 05:24.

Comment

Link to my bic/bix spreadsheet (compiled version of this thread).

Comment

@AlanH: The terrain thing may have been covered, but we appreciate the help anyhow; the more people who are looking into these things, the more accurate it will be. Don't stop poking around

Closer to the main topic: PTW 1.27f has updated to BIC version 11.19. The only change I have seen so far is an additional 4-byte value at the very end of the GAME section (after the search path) corresponding to the new "Map Explored" checkbox on the scenario properties screen. In the standard format used for the main post this would be:
                4	long		Map Explored (checkbox; 1=checked, 0=not)

Comment

Hello Gramphos, I just wanted to know (because I don't know were to find this info) what is the maximum of MB you/Poly allowes me if I want to post/upload a mod here.

Ii isn't finished yet,and the first version will be a beta (I'm doing it alone, so I wanted beta-testers with I finished my work), but I have calculleted is about 150 MB (compressed and auto-executable with WinRar), because it combines the new TeT civilizations with the new techs and units from DyP, and also some flavour units and mod graphics.

So please, I just wanted to know if I'm going to be able to upload my mod for beta-testing with I finished on it.

Thanks in advance.

The Slayer
              Fortune and Glory, here I come!!!.
              Indiana Jones
              Spanish Empire Civ for Civilization 5 (in Spanish/en Español)

Comment

i know you didn't ask me.

but you could ask the people to download either ToT and DyP seperatly and then just your stuff.

another solution would be to create a diff. only upload those files which are not included in the PTW-distribution.
                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Excuse me, I just learning english and I don't understant very well this...

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                  i know you didn't ask me.
                  Do you mean I had to ask you for uploading the file??

Or perphaps you are one of the modders who create the TeT or DyP files. If you are, my extensive apologises, I just wanted to improve and mix this two excelent Mod's in just one.

Well, about your ideas, I thought also to tell everybody "download DyP and next TeT, and finally my mod" but for me later it sounds like... "piratecy"??.. so I decided to join them together in one mod and then add my modifications.

Thank you

The Slayer
                  Indiana Jones

Comment

no hablo español, pero estoy apprendendo. tu ingles es mas bueno que mi español. (?!?!?). espero que tu comprendes que quiero scrivir aqui:

no no, i'm not the creator of either of these mods, i was just trying to give you an idea.

it's no piracy to use DyP and TeT, because -as far as i know- the creators just ask to be mentioned, if you use their files...

saludos
                    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

English/español post

tu ingles es mas bueno que mi español. (?!?!?).

Well thanks for your "cheers"?? / Gracias por tus halagos

But, my real question is to know what is the maximum amount of MB y could be able to upload to Poly?? / Pero mi verdadera pregunta era cual es la canditad maxima de MB que puedo subir a Poly..?

it's no piracy to use DyP and TeT, because -as far as i know- the creators just ask to be mentioned, if you use their files...
                      Yes, I thinked that also, and I'm going to include their names and the names of all the unit creators in the final version of the game. My idea is in the beta version that if somebody recognises his (or another person) unit, setting or graphic mod, e-mail me to add the creator's name in the credits of the mod section / Si, eso creia, y voy a incluir sus nombres y los nombres de todos los creadores de unidades en la version final del mod. La idea es que en la version de prueba del mod, la gente reconozca sus (o de otros) unidades, configuraciones o graficos, me escriba un correo electronico y de ahi yo agrego su nombre en los creditos del mod.

I prefered to join all together the files in one only mod to avoid expressions like "what?.. first I have to download two different mod and later yours??? .. go to h**l!! ". So I think combine the mods would be the best option for them / Preferi juntar los dos mods en uno, para no oir fraces como "que??!, primero me bajo los otros 2 mods y despues el tuyo??.. andate a la M**** . Pienso que juntar los 2 mods pueda ser la mejor opcion para ellos.

Best wishes / Saludos, nos vemos

The Slayer
                      Indiana Jones

Comment

Oh!. I forgot.. if you want to learn spanish, you can practise with us in the Spanish Forum. We are going to be glad to "teach" you more spanish there. You are welcome, go there when you want.

The Slayer
                        Indiana Jones

Comment

Well, it was a nice conversation, but please, could somebody tell me if it's going to be possible to upload my mod?? (150 MB). Thanks in advance.

The Slayer
                          Indiana Jones

Comment

This is the wrong thread for sush a question...

But as I happen to read it now and then, but not as often as I used to due to real life matters I might try to answer.

There is no said limit on the ammount of files I can upload to Apolyton. (Other than the hd limit of Apolyton) However, for the size you are speaking of I will have to first check with the owners before giving a final answer as no file yet is so big, and I'm not sure how they put themselves to sush a file.

Comment

How to compress/uncompress BIX files?

Hi!
                              Please, help me to understand how it is possible to compress/uncompress BIX files so they becames like BIC files?
                              I mean, BIX files have some compression and it's not possible to change them without Civ3Edit.
                              But I hope that you know some way to decompress BIX files to make changes and then compress it again.
                              I have tried to use the SAVExpnd.exe app, but cannot understand, HOW to use it.
                              Thank you kindly for any help by the question!
                              Dreyk

Comment

Originally posted by The Slayer
                                Well, it was a nice conversation, but please, could somebody tell me if it's going to be possible to upload my mod?? (150 MB). Thanks in advance.

The Slayer
                                I've had it confirmed that I can upload your mod for Apolyton to host it. Contact me when you are ready to release it.

Comment

Working...
                                X