Limit to units_32.pcx file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit to units_32.pcx file

I've been trying to help sort out another members problems with installing units. In the course of this endevour I made a pcx file with about 100 icons for him. New problems have cropped up and after a lot of testing I've found something new.

You can increase the number of spaces of the units_32 file and add multiple icons to the file. The editor sees them fine and it looks like no problems. If you create a unit and link it in the editor to any icon over #82 the game will either show no icon in the city screen build queue (I guess its gonna crash sometime soon) or it completely crashes as soon as you enter it. Re set the icon number to 82 or below and its fine.

Given that this is the same magic number (82) as causes problems for the tech tree icons (no more than 82) I think its real.

We're limited to 82 icons, of course we can re-use icons.

Wheres the logic in this? Thanks so much firaxis!
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Interesting.
    Is that if you specifies icons for the civilopedia separately as well?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I havent bothered to even add text to the civilopedia so I cant say. But it does seem to be a strange coincidence with the 82 icon limit in two locations, so I wouldnt be surprised.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

So you haven't added icons for it in pediaicons.txt?

Comment

No, I never planned to release it as a mod for anyone else so I never bothered. Since I used your copy tool it might have added the original icon somewhere (you'd know better than me).

This doesnt seem to always cause a crash on my system, but the icon isnt present (after 82) in the build queue and I suspect it causes a serious fragility to the program so that for some people it crashes all the time. Damned if I know why though!

Comment

Well, They did change the loading system for it, with 1.21, sdo it might change

Comment

Working...
            X