No announcement yet.

Installing custom units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah - I got that too. Followed it up, and the process that starts in 5 seconds is actually the download.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

It looks to me like you've left out some of the dirctory routing for the amb files in the Dragoon_modified file.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Which one? The Dragoon_original wasn't modified by me in any way (i.e. someone else wrote it to direct to the cavalry sounds in the cavalry folder) - do I need to put the full path name, e.g. C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive...?
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I dont have the files in front of me now, but there were two ini files. One was named something like Dragoon_original. Its sound files pointed to the calvary sounds. The same files in the Dragoon_modified were missing the full pathname. I'm not 100% sure what's needed and what's not but I do know that it is a source of error since I had a similar problem with the flc files early on.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Surely, if the cavalry sounds are in the dragoon folder, I don't need the path name, e.g.

RUN=CavalryRun.amb
            ATTACK1=CavalryAttack.amb

(that's assuming both those files are actually in the dragoon folder)

I don't think I need to rename the files DragoonRun.amb and so on?
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I would copy and rename the calvary sounds in the dragoon folder(I have a 40Gb HD). Then use another (default) ini i.e. "tank" as a template to make sure the path of the dragoon ini is correct. Its probably not the most elegant way to do things but it tends to work.

PS watch the names of the units I've had problems with names with spaces ie Iron Spearman so I use IronSpearman instead.

Comment

ok - I have a dragoon folder, in which are the bandit(x).flc files (I'm calling bandit dragoon) and all the cavalry(x).amb files. I'm thinking that the dragoon.ini should look like this. Am I correct?

[Speed]
                Normal Speed=225
                Fast Speed=225

[Animations]
                BLANK=
                DEFAULT=BanditDefault.flc
                WALK=
                RUN=BanditRun.flc
                ATTACK1=BanditAttackA.flc
                ATTACK2=
                ATTACK3=
                DEFEND=
                DEATH=BanditDeath.flc
                DEAD=
                FORTIFY=BanditFortify.flc
                FORTIFYHOLD=
                FIDGET=BanditFidget.flc
                VICTORY=BanditVictory.flc
                TURNLEFT=
                TURNRIGHT=
                BUILD=
                ROAD=
                MINE=
                IRRIGATE=
                FORTRESS=
                CAPTURE=
                STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=

[Timing]
                BLANK=0.500000
                DEFAULT=0.500000
                WALK=0.500000
                RUN=0.500000
                ATTACK1=0.500000
                ATTACK2=0.500000
                ATTACK3=0.500000
                DEFEND=0.500000
                DEATH=0.500000
                DEAD=0.500000
                FORTIFY=0.500000
                FORTIFYHOLD=0.500000
                FIDGET=0.500000
                VICTORY=0.500000
                TURNLEFT=0.500000
                TURNRIGHT=0.500000
                BUILD=0.500000
                ROAD=0.500000
                MINE=0.500000
                IRRIGATE=0.500000
                FORTRESS=0.500000
                CAPTURE=0.500000
                STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=0.500000

[Sound Effects]
                BLANK=
                DEFAULT=
                WALK=
                RUN=CavalryRun.amb
                ATTACK1=CavalryAttack.amb
                ATTACK2=
                ATTACK3=
                DEFEND=
                DEATH=CavalryDeath.wav
                DEAD=
                FORTIFY=CavalryFortify.wav
                FORTIFYHOLD=
                FIDGET=CavalryFidget.wav
                VICTORY=CavalryVictory.wav
                TURNLEFT=
                TURNRIGHT=
                BUILD=
                ROAD=
                MINE=
                IRRIGATE=
                FORTRESS=
                CAPTURE=
                STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                [Version]
                VERSION=1
                [Palette]
                PALETTE=
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

What I'd do is this.

I looked at the bic. You have a unit "Dragoon" but no "Bandit". I assume you've renamed that.

The directory, flc, and amb files then also need to be named "Bandit" in place of "Calvary"

Then change the sound effect part of the ini. Replace "Calvary" with "Bandit"

That should work. I dont remember which unit I added where I ended up with sound problems but I think this is what I did to fix it.

Comment

I take it that that also means if I want the unit to be called Dragoon, I need to rename all the flc and amb files to Dragoon?

I seem to remember posting a thread about copying sound files from another folder, and I asked if I had to rename them and someone said no I didn't.
                    Up the Irons!
                    Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Yes.

You dont have to. If you use the multitool it'll set up the correct path to another file so it can be doen and it looks easy. I just remember having problems with an amb file (it may have been the file with the spaced name) so rather than spending my time fiddling with it I copied the sound files I wanted and renamed them and it worked.

Comment

Ah. cool - thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.
                        Up the Irons!
                        Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I don't get it. I renamed all the Bandit (x).flcs to Dragoon (x).flcs, copied all the Cavalry sounds to the Dragoon folder and renamed them to Dragoon (x).amb, edited the ini so that it referred to Dragoon (x) files but still the only sound that I can hear in-game is the Fortify sound. What gives?
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Correction: I get Fortify and Victory, but no Attack or Run sounds.
                            Up the Irons!
                            Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Why dont you try setting up the dragoon.ini to point to the calvary sounds? I've attached the changes to the ini.
                              Attached Files

Comment

This is actually exactly the same as the sound portion of the Dragoon_Original.ini I poseted in the Dragoon Sound Problems.zip. That one didn't work. What puzzles me is that some sounds work and some don't. I've noticed that thre are 5 Cavalry Attack sounds. I copied all to the Dragoon folder and renamed to Dragoon(x).amb like you said earlier but no joy. I can't think what's actually wrong? Is ot that there are 5 attack sounds?
                                Up the Irons!
                                Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                                X