No announcement yet.

Installing custom units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, my civ3 is patched up to & including 1.17f. The only thing I can think of is, as you say, a subtle difference between the U.S. and European releases of the game - but then again the patches would be different, wouldn't they?
    If this is the problem, then Friday's patch won't fix it. It seems that only the relationship between the bic file and the pcx file will be altered. Presumabley all this means that anything made by american modders is useless to anyone else, but that can't be - can't it?
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I didnt think of the fact that you have the UK version. Firaxis may have been tipped off to this problem by comments at their UK site. The fact that it will be fixed before anyone here knew there was a problem says something. Anyway you'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out for sure. Maybe there's a celtic match on tonight. I hope it works out. If I can help out more with the graphics just let me know.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Damn. I can't add new units to see if it works - the add/delete function in the editor's gone and Gramphos' CopyTool isn't compatible with the new patch!
        Last edited by zulu9812; April 19, 2002, 19:12.
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Since I can't add new units right now, this is an appeal to everyone. Is there anyone who was unable to use new icons for the build queue but can with the new patch? Thanks.
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

It's alright - I got the hacked editor.

SpencerH - the new icons seem to be working now, so thanks again for all your help.
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

well it seems that whatever the problem was, it's been fixed by the latest patch. If it was the result of different release versions, I hope that all this has been of some help to other UK users.

I was just wondering - does it matter anymore if an icon is added to the units_32.pcx after the modern worker (i.e. I could quite happily fill in some of the spaces afterwards and not have to draw in new blank rows before the modern worker)?
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Maybe you can help me now! I cant add new units properly with any method!

You can add units after the modern worker. With 1.17 I couldnt add more after icon #82 that worked.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

have u tried the hacked editor? If the ini is already written (i.e. someone else created the unit) this is probably the best way. At first, Gramphos' newest copy tool didn't work properly. That's apparently been fixed now, but I've not tested it:I always use the hacked editor.

Is adding units in the editor the problem, or something more serious?
                  Up the Irons!
                  Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Thanks I've figured it out. The problem with the hacked editor was that the attack/defend flags werent activating when I added a unit. So I thought something was wrong and would exit. Eventually I found that you have to give the unit attack and defense values, then those flags activate.

Comment

Right. Okay. This doesn't make sense. SpencerH - I was using that icon sheet you posted and everything worked fine - the APC unit worked fine, including several others with icons you didn't put in (they were already there form the Alien Legacy mod). However, the first unit to crash the game was something called a Spetznaz (a commando-type unit), but that just used the Paratrooper icon so there shouldn't have been any problems - it wasn't even a case of duplicate icons because I'd deleted the Paratrooper unit.

The next unit to crash the game was the NeOmega Assassin - just crashed as soon as I clicked on it in the build queue. Sam thing happened with the Star Wars unit - Laser Turret.

Could it be that an icon sheet created for use with 1.17f is incompatible with 1.21f? Thing is, some of the new icons work and some don't.
                      Up the Irons!
                      Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

As far as I know, those types of pcx files (unit_32 , resources) should be completely compatible so I think its our least likely culprit. In essense those files didnt cause the problems with 1.17. It was the hard coding in the game that stopped at the magic number 82 (now why would anyone want to add more units?). Firaxis has done away with that coding so it shouldnt be a problem.

I havent yet tried any mods with 1.21 so I cant remark about its stability on my system yet. Was this mod from 1.17 that you're using in 1.21? I'll start my 1.17 mod tonight to see what happens.

Comment

Zulu9812

I started a 1.21 game with my heavily mod-ed 1.17 game. I allowed my assasin and a crossbowman with no requirements and I could build them fine. I used one of your amazon icons from the pcx file for the crossbowman. There were no problems with the units or the new tech! So I think firaxis did fix the hard coding.
                          Last edited by SpencerH; April 23, 2002, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                            Was this mod from 1.17 that you're using in 1.21? I'll start my 1.17 mod tonight to see what happens.
                            I'm not actually using any mods, bar that modified units_32.pcx and my own rules.
                            Up the Irons!
                            Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

God damn it! The NeOmega Assassin and Laser Turret still aren't working - the city advisor even volunteered to build the NeOmega but as soon as I clicked ok the game crashed! Usually if the advisor offers to build a unit then it should work ok!?!

I don't suppose anyone could try taking SpencerH's icon sheet (even Spencer if he's listening) and actually try and use those two icons for any unit and see if it builds? So far, those are the only two causing any problems.
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812

I don't suppose anyone could try taking SpencerH's icon sheet (even Spencer if he's listening) and actually try and use those two icons for any unit and see if it builds? So far, those are the only two causing any problems.
                                Sorry if it wasnt clear. The assasin that worked perfectly with 1.21 uses the neomega icons and flcs etc. I think I've got your email but I'm not sure if its broadband. If it is I can send you a zip file with my mod (a work in progress ) and the units. If its not broadband I'll just send the bic. Let me know what you need.

I'll also try the laser turret icon!

Comment

Working...
                                X