Better flood plain graphic please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fezick31 and Sn00py

Nice Graphics. They might be more appropriate for an oasis resource though. I think that most flood plains are found in temperate of tropical climates since you need lots of rain or spring run-offs from the snow melt. The Nile floods in this way but it is a pretty unique river and I dont think it is typical of flood plain geography. I think that what may be needed to represent flood plains are tiles with heavy grass, bushes, and a few small trees. Its fertile land but I think that the (semi)-annual floods tend to keep down tree growth.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
      I think that most flood plains are found in temperate of tropical climates since you need lots of rain or spring run-offs from the snow melt. The Nile floods in this way but it is a pretty unique river and I dont think it is typical of flood plain geography.
      good point, but for this game, i have to disagree. The only place that flood plains are available are desert regions, which would make the Nile the norm (it is the model I used). I think Firaxis was trying to account for the narrow band of fertile land that borders rivers in desert regions. Flood plains that exist around the Amazon and the Mississippi are already on fertile ground, and we really can't place flood plains there anyway.

Now, if we could stick flood plains along any river, then I would agree with you 100%.
      "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

ahh, OK, now I get the point of flood plains. I miss swamps though. are you gonna post the file with your graphics?

Comment

Modified flood plains graphics

Here is the zip file containg the new floodplains.pcx file.

note--fixed the transperency error that mizaq pointed out

edit -- this file has been moved to the files forum.
          You can find it here
          Last edited by fezick31; March 21, 2002, 21:23.
          "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

I like these. The second tile to the right on the top row has some weird thing hanging off the tree, but I fixed that myself. Good job!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Mizaq
              The second tile to the right on the top row has some weird thing hanging off the tree
              I don't see it, but if you could point it out somehow, i'll fix it in the zip file. I just cut and pasted the same palm tree for every tile, so if it's in one, it will be in all of them.

Comment

The only place that flood plains are available are desert regions, which would make the Nile the norm (it is the model I used).
                I guess I missed the connection between flood plains and desert in which case your graphics fit perfectly. Thanks for the effort.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Comment

thanks Mizaq. For some reason, turning the file into a zip created the error. I had to actually open the file from within the archive and fix it, because everytime i uploaded it into the archive, it generated the white. Weird.

Comment

The default graphic is desert, so in the floodplains file where it has the purple (=transparency) desert will show through probably (unless it is a coast and the water shows through).
                      Ooops I didn´t know that!

Yo hablo un picino espanol, paro no muy bein. I'm glad you like the palm trees though
                      I see...

I will write it right:
                      "Yo hablo un poco español, pero no muy bien" just to help you and don´t worry i don´t speak english very well as you can see too.
                      The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

WUJUWWWWWWWWWWW and this Palm`s Treess??
                        ... Look like.... mmmm. ... the Plaza of Perez Zeledon in Central America.. searching for a pic..... ...... ah! Dosent matter!
                        Good work.
                        Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                        religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos113
                          "Yo hablo un poco español, pero no muy bien" just to help you
                          I took 3 years in high school, but that was 5 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty...

Godinex, thanks, i think.

Comment

Start a new thread posting those floodplains graphics so Gramphos can put it in the files forum. They really kickass to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizaq
                              Start a new thread posting those floodplains graphics so Gramphos can put it in the files forum. They really kickass to play with.
                              done.

I'm glad you enjoy them.

Comment

Working...
                              X