This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modmakers Guide: Common Crashes, Glitches, Errors, and AI problems

I have ran into many things that causes Civ3 to crash, lockup, or something just as bad, I am also sure that other mod makers have ran into problems I have yet to encounter. Though as of now there isn't any conclusive list of these problems, so many mod makers are needlessly stumped by crashes other mod makers have already discovered, this will be a guyide to those thing. I'll start with some common things I have encounted, and I please hope everyone else will share things that break the game.

Crashes

*DataIO operation System Error: CNSL
    this happens when you load a save game that you have added new buildings to with Gramphos's multi tool, save game are not compatable with a civ3mod.bic that has a different number of buildings

*Changing the entertainer to require a tech
    this causes the game to hang without warning whenever the AI attempts to switch one of their citizens to an entertainer

*Playing a modded civ3mod.bic that has added units
    if someone has used the C3MT to add new units to the game the player must create the appropriate unit files in the civ3/art/units folder, if not the game will crash when one of those units are built

*Changing the Civ's colors
    this has a work around, and firaxis promised to also fix this, but as of now selecting anything but the original 16 colors will cause the game to crash when you first start

Glitches

*Playing a modded civ3mod.bic that has added units
    even after adding the unit files the player must add in a new units_32.pcx file to the game that has added unit spaces, otherwise the units in the build queue will experience problems, most notably the settler's picture will disappear and the worker will now have the settler's picture

*Playing a modded civ3mod.bic that has added units or buildings
    even after creating the proper unit files and adding the units_32.pcx file you must update the civilopedia.txt, and the pediaicons.txt to have many of the pictures and the text to display correctly

*Government Specific Wonders do not work as advertised. If you make a wonder government specific and a player builds it, when they switch governments it will disappear from your list of buildings but its effects will remain in effect

*Free buildings from wonders cannot be used as a prerequisite for other buildings. Additionally if you set a building to require a wonder it can only be built in the same city as the wonder, while this is useful in certain situations and should remain in the editor, there should be a way so that if you have the wonder you can construct the building in all of your cities. Additionally, free culture buildings from wonders don't show up in the cultural advisor screen, the additional culture point per city does, however. One last problem is that free culture buildings from wonders don't get the 1000 year culture bonus.

AI Problems

*giving a unit the build road command
    unless the AI has all available terraform commands, and has its AI set to terraform it won't build roads

*making a great leader like unit
    to gain the leader AI, a unit must be able to both hurry improvements and build armies, if you give a unit only the ability to build armies and set its AI to army, instead of changing into a great leader it will only set in the city (this was an attempted work around of the pre 1.16f situation where the editor couldn't allow the mod maker to determine if a building needed a victorious army or not

this is just a short list for now, i will go back and look for other problems we encountered in working on the blitz mod and add those, but i am sure that other mod makers have ran into other limitations, and please add those! the more items on this list the easier it will be to discover why your mod is having problems

Gramphos could you top this? please
    Last edited by korn469; March 5, 2002, 08:21.

Very useful thread.

About changing of civ's colors:

It is possible, if the attached file is unzipped in the Art\Units\Palettes directory.
    Attached Files
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

giving a unit the build road command unless the AI has all available terraform commands, and has its AI set to terraform it won't build roads
      I'm not quite sure what you mean by "all available terraform commands". I've added "build road" to the Roman legions with no problems. Perhaps I had all terraform commands available?
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Great post, Korn

You should get in contact with civ3.com to host your list in their new section.
        MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          I'm not quite sure what you mean by "all available terraform commands". I've added "build road" to the Roman legions with no problems. Perhaps I had all terraform commands available?
          Did the AI use the unit to build roads?
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I would have prefered to be able to move legions on roads faster than other foot units (which was in part why the Romans built the roads, to rapidly move their armies). I settled for allowing them to build roads and fortresses. Since that Mod we've had two patches and I've had to reload CIV3 (twice?) so I kind of lost track of it and I dont know if the AI used that command.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

ok i added the problems with free buildings from wonders, free culture buildings from wonders, and government specific wonders

please if you have encountered more problems in the editor add them here so i can make them part of the guide

Comment

If you add 25 or more icons in the resources.pcx file, they wont show on the map.
                Up The Millers

Comment

At least some of the small wonders effects (e.g. 'increases army size') work only for the first wonder that uses them.
                  "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Let me get this straight.
                    If a gov't enables a building, then the building and its effects disappear correctly when you change out of the gov't.
                    If a gov't enables a wonder, then the wonder's effects disappear but its culture remains when you change out of the gov't.
                    The problem is when a gov't-specific wonder enables a building. When you change govt's, the effects of the buildings remain?

Btw, nice sig Lockstep.

Comment

Hi Korn,
                      You mention that gov't specific wonders don't work as advertised, but what about government specific small wonders and improvements-do their effects disappear after you change governments?

The_Aussie_Lurker

Comment

WesW

apparently government specific buildings disappear but their effects do not, like if you had the statue of liberty for democracys and it had the same effect as longevity, when you switched to communism it would still work but it wouldn't be there

if a government enables a building, like a library then you can't build universities, because buildings enabled by a wonder don't count as prereq buildings, and then you can't build them either

The_Aussie_Lurker

improvements disappear, and i am not totally positive about small wonders

Comment

Another thing I noticed if you give the "hidden nationality" to a scout (land unit with 0 attack/defense) the computer will try and attack it, but instead just end up on the same square as your scout. And this happens a lot.

Here is a pic. Look closely and you will see what I am talking about:
                          Attached Files
                          Yours in gaming,
                          ~Luc

Comment

Question about terraforming and the AI:
                            If you check all of the terraform functions, you can then set the AI to use terraform strats. If you then uncheck one or more terraform functions, the Terraform strat box remains checked but greys out. Will the AI then use the strat because it's checked or not use it because it's greyed out?

Comment

I noticed that myself, however I didn't test it...anyone esle try it out?
                              Yours in gaming,
                              ~Luc

Comment

Working...
                              X