MAP: The Roman World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what pic?
    I've increased my medication and I am now able to experience pleasure... especially when my Legions march on Berlin and capture the Great Wall! >:-)

Comment

He means a small screenie of the map.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Yeah, it would be a good idea
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Re: Map of the Roman World

Originally posted by Hail Caesar!

5) Germans - According to Caesar, they are nasty and irritating and double-crossing. Which means I won't need to modify the AI Caesar also says they are hairy and hunt deer that have no knees.

(These little emoticons are very cute)
          I don't know of what origin your ancestors are but most of the Amricans got Ancestors from England, German-Speaking Countries and Scandinavia. The Germans mentioned by Ceasar in his books are the anceastors of all that people not only Germany.
          The Germans don't call themselves Germanen but Deutsche, close to the name Dutch. Germans is just an inexact englich name that causes such mistakes and racistical ideologies. In sciences there is a different name for the ancient people called by Ceasar Germans its Teutons.

If u r of english origin then u did kidd yourself.

But its funny all the same I only wanted to tell this circumstance for I know such knowledge is less known in America than in Europe. Don't take critics personally.

I'm also interested in ancient history. But my region is Mesopotamia and its pre-islamic cultures like the Assyrians and their ruler sargon2. When I get enough time I'm gonna make a map of that reagion.
          God gave the earth only one kiss,
          that's just where Germany is!
          translated from "Die Prinzen"-Band
          It's ironical against nationalism.

Comment

Caesar referred in Latin to the entire region east of the Rhine as Germania. He mentions some German tribes called the Teutoni who occupied what is now Eastern Europe, Poland, and Ukraine... If my history is correct, these are the same tribes that sacked the city of Rome a few times, leading to the downfall of the empire. There was a show on the Discovery Channel recently about Attila the Hun... the Huns came out of Central Asia and dispersed the Teutoni from Eastern Europe thus leading to them migrating to the Rhineland region and the sacking Rome.

I would not dispute that the Germans referred to themselves collectively as Deutche or Teutoni but Caesar calls them Germans and so does Russell Crowe's character.

I take it you might be German? And yes I was only kidding. Caesar's depiction of the Germans is hilarious... of course it is just propaganda; he is trying to convince his audience that the Germans against whom he was campaigning were a dirty, uncivilized, barbaric tribe.

Anyway I have not worked on my scenario in quite some time and I still haven't figured out that Civ3MultiTool either.

Scott
            I've increased my medication and I am now able to experience pleasure... especially when my Legions march on Berlin and capture the Great Wall! >:-)

Comment

Yes what u say is right. But i.e. a group of that Germanes many of the Saxons and the Angels did go by ship to Britannia and founded the English. The rest of the Saxons, a huge part of the Franks (another went to Gallia and created France), Bavarians, Suebs, Alemans, Thyrings, Frieses stayed in what later became the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation dominating the whole Middle Age.
              The tribes called by Ceasar Germanes spread over the whole world later. In Amerika and Austarlia some fractions again unified (English and Germans).

Germanes=/=Germans
              because: Germanes -> Netherlands
              -> English
              -> Germans
              -> Austrians
              -> German Swiss
              -> Dutch Belges
              -> Luxemburgians
              those melted in other countries:
              Germanes: Visighots-> Spain (ask a Spanish about it)
              Ostrogoths, Langobards -> Italy

They all were Germanes (Ceasar got no contact to the Swedes, Danes and people from Norway but they also counted as Germanes)

By a inexactness of naming the Germans of todays Germany got the name of the old latin name Germanes alone. But its not the same.
              But I don´t have a problem with the inheritance, for every people was once less cultural and later more. The Romans were Babarians when the Greek were on the pike of Culture. And the Greeks were a group of culturless savages when the Babylonians wrote their first epics.
              God gave the earth only one kiss,
              that's just where Germany is!
              translated from "Die Prinzen"-Band
              It's ironical against nationalism.

Comment

Working...
              X