If APCs, why not horse convoys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If APCs, why not horse convoys?

I have seen some mods including an APC - a unit with zero attack rate, but the ability to carry one foot unit (or several), much like a helicopter moving on the ground. I have not yet tried to make an APC, but I have thought of bringing the idea into the early game.

The Worker should be made a foot unit so it can take advantage of such means of transportation.

The cost and capacity of these units should be balanced.

I wonder though: What happens if a zero-defense unit, carrying a nonzero defense unit, is attacked? Are both captured? Or can the carried unit defend? Does it matter whether the carrying unit is a ship, a plane or a ground unit?

Horse Convoy
    Moves 3, requires Horseback Riding (maybe Chivalry) and Horses.

Horses are expensive to breed and keep, so they were uncommon in ancient armies. In post-medieval Europe, horses had become essential for civilian and military transportation as well as agriculture and scouting. Riding a horse is much easier than fighting on horseback, so infantry used horses when moving, and dismounted to engage in battle. After the rapid-fire guns of the 19th century made "real" cavalry obsolete, horses were still used for troop movement until automobiles became common. Horses were also useful for colonizing the New World.

Truck Convoy
    Moves 4, requires Motorized Trans. Iron, Oil and Rubber.

APC
    Moves 4, requires Computers, Iron, Oil and Rubber. High defense rate.

Camel Convoy
    Moves 1, treats all squares as road, "wheeled" (cannot enter mountains and jungles).
    Requires the new resource Camels, found in deserts and floodplains.
    Camels are slower, though stronger than horses. Throughout history, they have been the superior means of transportation in rough terrain without roads, except in extremely wet or cold climate.

Llama Convoy
    Like camels, but can enter jungles and mountains. Needless to say, they would require Llamas.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Nice ideas. In fact, if you need a Army Truck animation, I have already created one which you can download from Civfanatics

As to Horse, Llama and Camel convoy, there are units that ride these but I don't think any army use them to transport troop enmass in history. Mostly they are used to transport supplies if I am not wrong.
    If the animation is not there, lets create it!! :D

Comment

Horse convoys... now that's a really good idea.
      Oh and by the way dark sheer, love the truck
      "Five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what has it produced? The Cuckoo Clock... goodbye Harold"

Comment

Did some testing, and it seems to work. I don't know what AI role to give the units, though.

I think I skip the llama rider. Llamas can carry 50 kg, which can hardly include an armed soldier.

Comment

horse convoys are good idea, but also having llamas and camels? Let the horse convoy stand for the others. It's way to detailed, and IMO there are better choices for new resourses.

Comment

Allright, let's not waste resource slots. However, Camels would be really interesting to use in Mongolian or Arabian scenarios.

Comment

Maybe you could have Camel Warriors instead.

Comment

Working...
              X