Quick question for a MODERATOR about zip files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Th0mas

I was wondering if Belchingjester was trying to be ironic..

Eitherway it's an unwritten universal law that the Pkzipfix download would need to be fixed..it just makes to much sense.

...just goes to show there is a supreme being afterall.
    I wish - that's just too funny. Next time I post a .zip I'll definitely test it. I definitely wouldn't want to put someone else through the frustration I had...

Mizaq - good work.
    -belchingjester
    ----
    "Come to the pkzipfix! All are welcome... All are welcome..."

Comment

I've seen several people complain about not being able to unzip files, I think this thread is worthy of a sticky, or at least be added to the faq (hell, it could already be there I haven't read it in ages myself). LOL, this was like the only thread that the troll didn't dredge up from the depths of the board. Too bad he missed the one that can effect all the rest.

Remember to rate this thread!

Comment

For those of us who don't really remember how to use dos....huh?
        I dl'd the fix, now what?

Btw, I really think something else is wrong. A guy posted a unit he created in two zipped posts, in sebsequent posts. The first zip went fine, but I could never get the second part to work. These files obviously had everything in common, exept one was named ha1, and the second ha2, yet one worked for me, and the other did not.

Comment

Can I jump in and say something, I might sound stupid, I haven't read the posts and I don't know exactly what's going on, but I have experienced problems downloading files here recently.

Ok, basically I have found that it will download, but it won't download the correct file, it seems to be downloading something else, I open it in winrar, and see that there is the file I want, and a file in there that is 1.7?megs big. But the zip file is only 55kb big, and thats the other strange thing, ALL the files I download, no matter what they are, are all 55kb big. (On Apolyton only of course).

Once, I decided to try the "save target as" option and it worked, but it didn't work a second time. I don't think it's anyones program, I think its the forum. I would contact UBB MarkG and check it out, just in case.
          be free

Comment

sn00py I have experienced the same thing and it is because the compression got corrupted but it can be fixed using pkzipfix. I mean I have seen the exact thing that you described and I fixed it with pkzipfix. I have no idea why apolyton hasn't fixed their board, but there is a work around. Here is a walkthrough.

1. Open up windows explorer to the directory where you have both pkzipfix and the corrupted zip file.

2. Go to the start menu and click run. Run the command called "command"

3. You will now have a dos prompt that opens automatically to the directory that windows explorer was in.

4. Pkzipfix your file. Here are the steps:

a. Determine how many characters are in the zip name. Are there less than 8?

If the name is Longtime.zip (8 characters or less) then it is very simple to proceed. In the dos window type

pkzipfix Longtime.zip

If the name is longer than 8 characters, for example the name is LongtimNosee.zip then it is also simple to proceed. In the dos window type

pkzipfix Longti~1.zip

If the Longti~1.zip does not work it is because you have another file with a long name that is very similar, say you have a file named LongtimeNopee.zip and also a file called LongtimeNosee.zip: Nopee will be referred to as Longti~1.zip and Nosee will be referred to as Longti~2.zip. If it is too complicated to figure out, use windows explorer to rename the file to noob.zip and then in the command window type

pkzipfix noob.zip

5. Once you have run pkzipfix then it will create a file called

pkfixed.zip

6. Open pkfixed.zip and now you have access to the corrupted zip. If you want to keep the fixed version for personal storage just rename the file to whatever you want and move it to a safe location.

I think it IS REALLY STUPID THAT LEADING SPACES ARE DELETED.
            Last edited by Mizaq; March 11, 2002, 01:32.

Comment

yeah!!
              my thread is helping people!!!!

(cassembler feels useful)
              "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Thanks, Mizaq. I did not know the trick with Internet Explorer, and I had forgotten about putting both files in the same folder.

Comment

Working...
                X