MOD: TheRascal Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: TheRascal Mod

OK, I steeled myself and did some serious editing to Civ3. I think I covered most of the game's major malfunctions, but I also took out some stuff that some people might like. Have a look at everything I did and then decide if this mod is for you:

-Great Wall provides city walls in every city once again!
    -Police Stations reduce corruption and make the city more resistant to propoganda.
    -Civilization-Specific units removed to add new units named below.
    -Multipliers applied to ALL units to better emphasize the importance of the development of certain weapons as follows:
    -Ancient melee units retain their old ADM.
    -Units with firearms have attack and defense multiplied by 2, as do other rennaisance units..
    -Units with semi-automatic or automatic firearms have attack and defence multiplied by 3, as do other modern units.
    -Ship movement increased by approximately 50%.
    -Units added at expense of civilization-specific units (keep in mind that the attack and defense of units has been significantly increased):
    Fanatic; 10/10/2, bombards as cruise missile, hidden nationality, available with Motorized Transportation.
    Native Archers; 3/1/1, hidden nationality, available with gunpowder.
    Phalanx; 1/2/2, available with bronze working.
    Native Spearmen; 1/2/1, available with gunpowder.
    Legionary; 3/3/1, builds roads, forts, and clears jungle, available with The Republic.
    Nomads; 5/4/1, hidden nationality, available with metallurgy.
    Native Scouts; 0/2/3, hidden nationality, available with education.
    Grenadier; 8/4/1, available with gunpowder.
    War Elephant; 4/1/2, available with polytheism (oldschool!).
    Modern Nomads; 18/9/3, hidden nationality, available with Replacable Parts.
    Mercenary Tank; 32/16/2, hidden nationality, available with synthetic fibers.
    Man-O-War; 5(5)/5/6, available with magnetism.

Modified Units:
    Multipliers applied to all units.
    Privateer; is now 4/2/4.
    Paratrooper; no longer requires oil.
    Tank, Mech Infantry, Artillery, Carrier, Submarine, Destroyer, Battleship, Nuclear Submarine, Fighter, Bomber, Helicopter; now require iron.

Other Modifications:
    -Corruption reduced significantly.
    -Tiny world size removed, "Cramped" world size added; Cramped worlds are 120x120 with 16 civs present.
    -Advanced Barbarian changed to Native Archer.

I'm pretty sure that that covers everything. If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.
    Yes, I am the King of Babylon.
    No, you don't have to bow if you don't want to.

<~~Balloons are the BEST!

EEK

After all that, I forgot to attatch it? Ahh well, here it is.
    Attached Files

Comment

A couple of problems with that mod, both relating to how the AI works.

First, the AI will not use any worker-type abilities on a non-worker unit. You are giving the human player an unfair advantage when you make fighting units that can also build roads, clear jungle, etc.

Secondly, the AI will use hidden nationality units indiscriminately, even on civilizations which they are friendly with ('Gracious'), if they are of any use at all. I found this out when I beefed up privateers a little and found myself under constant attack by a nation I was friendly with. With all those units available you will be under constant attack, no matter how well you handle your diplomatic relations.

Comment

Yeah, I know that stuff. Here are my rationalizations:

Legionaries are extremely expensive to build. In fact, I've pondered taking them out and using something completely different instead because they are so worthless.

The hidden nationality units are extremely weak compared to the other units in their technology category (compare native spearmen [1/2/1] to musketmen [4/8/1] for example). Also, I have not encountered the problems with them you have laid forth except in boondock colonies (even my continental borders have little problems with nomad attacks). They are all movement 1 units except for Modern Nomads and Mercenary Tanks, so it's easy to run your workers and settlers away from them. I think I'm going to remove the mercenary tanks in the next edition, too. They seem a bit silly. The AI actually seems to use the hidden nationality units effectively, ambushing the workers on my outskirt colonies and skirmishing my units in their territory. I'm actually very pleased with how it came out, for the most part, although I'm a bit worried that corruption may be too low.

Comment

I like the foundation, but I think the new units should be towned down a bit.

Comment

Suggestions?

Alright, thus far the changes I've made for the next version are as follows:

1. Legionary no longer has worker commands, is 4/3/1, still available with The Republic. I think I made it cost 20 shields less than a knight, although I'm not sure if 20 shields for 1 additional movement and a slipshod Zone of Control is worth 20 shields, will decide on that after more testing.
            2. Increased corruption again, but not by too much. After playing a long game and finding that power balances were too heavily impacted, I increased corruption. Having one or two more cities than an opponent made far too much of a difference, in my opinion, with corruption so low.

I'd like any suggestions anyone has to make this MOD better, particularly suggestions on what might be a good thing to do with all of the other once civilization-specific units. I was thinking about making agenda-specific units (all religious civs get one unit, all expansionists get another one, etc). Input is appreciated. I would like to have more done by the next version.
            Last edited by TheRascalKing; December 14, 2001, 06:19.

Comment

Working...
            X