A thought on resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought on resources

After reading the really negative GF review, a thought came to mind. I really like the addition of resources (no that isn't the thought), and I think it adds a new and realistic element to the game. It struck me that his criticism that oil never seems to end up in your borders is more telling of the element of realism that resources add. After all, that is precisely one of the problems in the world today. But anyways, I didn't write this to attack his review.
    My thought was, if in fact resources are turning some of the more casual Civ III players off (do they exist?? they must :-) ), wouldn't it be great if you could have an option to shut them off. From a coding standpoint, I have no idea how easy/difficult this would be. But, it might be a good option for people looking for a less complex game. I like the new realism that resources add, but I can understand how some people might find that it makes the game less fun. Just a thought.
    -- Rooster

You could turn them off by making a mod where all the units and city improvements do not need resources.

Comment

but then there wouldn't be luxuries either, how do you keep your people happy ?
      Or would you keep the few luxurie resources and make them a bit more common?
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Re: A thought on resources

Originally posted by Rooster
        It struck me that his criticism that oil never seems to end up in your borders is more telling of the element of realism that resources add.
        Rooster
        Actually that statement is not completlely accurate, especially with really large empires.oil was very plentiful in america, we have simply used a buttload of it the last 100 years. so the running out thing is good, but more is needed, especially coal. on one large map i played, there was only 2 spots in the whole world coal could be found and i used mine after 50 years

Comment

one thing i forgot to add, retrieving the oil from certain locales should be tech specific. for instance, right now in siberia the russians have huge reserves, but have difficulty getting to them because of the extreme cold, and they are using or are hoping to use US tech to get it.

Comment

no bananas, no tobacco, no copper, no zinc, no silver, no plutonium, no hemp, no tea, no corn/maize, no peat, no buffalo, no undersea resources (oil,methane or butane for example), no sheep/goats, no leopards (more furs), no sugar, no salt (used by the romans as currency for dog's sake), no potatoes, no clay, no dogs, no seals, no coconuts. Obviously, if everything human beings use as a resource (which pretty much includes everything on the planet) was included in the game, then the map would be full with resources... but no COFFEE!!?????!?!??!?!?
            "Five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what has it produced? The Cuckoo Clock... goodbye Harold"

Comment

Working...
            X