This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First of all, buy Civ4.

Second, well, there isn't really a second.

Comment

• You might actually be able to win a culture race. I don't know how playing without opponents works. But yes, building components after 2050 is your problem; you cannot win (which would be included in launching the SS) after 2050.

BTW, I'd recommend using opponents even if you're still trying to learn the basics. Everything from the early game to the late is far different if you have more to worry about than barbs; if you get too used to expanding and building by yourself, you'll be in for a rude awakening when you have to actually compete. If you don't feel quite comfortable with opposition yet, just use either Warlord or Chieftan difficulty; the AIs are handicapped on those difficulties, particularly heavily on Chieftan but also somewhat on Warlord.

I think you'll also find your difficulties launching a SS before 2050 are greatly decreased with opponents, especially if you play on Warlord and above. The lower the number of civs in the game, and the more handicapped the AIs playing them are, the slower technology will go. If there are no civs, there are no trading partners.

Comment

• ...So I need to build the SS and get FT8 before 2050. Whee! I'm sure it'll be much easier with a builder civ!

I wanted some cheap entertainment, so I bought the $10 version of Civ3 at evil Wal-Mart. I've only been playing it for a week.

After reading this thread, I started a game with one other civ last night (me, Babylon, them, Aztecs), and made sure domination and military victories were off

Comment

• First do not listen to anyone telling you to buy Civ4. Well it is not that bad, but you can wait till it is much cheaper.

The game ends after you plant your town with no opponents. If you had civs in the game and got to 2050AD, the game would end then.

If you play beyond the victory condition, no other conditions will work. IOW you can build the space ship, but it cannot be launched.

You should go ahead and play a std map with at least 6 civs to get some idea of how the game actually works. What is the worst that could happen? You could lose, so what. It won't cost you anything and you could still have fun and learn something.

Comment

• Originally posted by vmxa1
            First do not listen to anyone telling you to buy Civ4.
            Surprised to see you say that vmxa.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginseng332
              ...So I need to build the SS and get FT8 before 2050. Whee! I'm sure it'll be much easier with a builder civ!
              Forgot to mention, you don't need Future Techs at all; you don't even need to research all the regular techs. Just build all the components before 2050.

Originally posted by ginseng332
              After reading this thread, I started a game with one other civ last night (me, Babylon, them, Aztecs), and made sure domination and military victories were off
              Doesn't really matter if you turn Conquest off; killing everyone else is still a great way to ensure a win.

And I agree with vmxa. Mix it up with multiple civs.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Surprised to see you say that vmxa.
                I really liked it the first 2 weeks, but soon I stopped playing. I tried again with 1.52, but they did little other than wreck the combat.

I have not applied 1.61 yet. I think it is just me and not liking so many options with the tech tree paths.

I have noted that I have some company from III players. The SG's on CFC seem to bog down.

Anyway I am trying to follow my old friends from GS and maybe get fired up again.

Notice I did not say do not buy it, only wait till it is cheap. Maybe after the expansion comes out. May as well get in some playing with the III, since he just got it.

Comment

• Haven't played recently myself, though it isn't really a fault of the game. What did the patch change in the combat model?

Comment

• Tsk, tsk, Spikey's looking for CIV tips in the Civ3 forums- and here I thought you'd reformed...
                    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• 1.52 made it so strength was calculated as if you were not damaged. So if you had something like knight Vs Cossacks, you were in big trouble.

Prior to 52, you could defeat superior units with numbers and or bombardment. Now you must use bombardment. The bonus Cossacks get would let them be nearly dead and still beat knights.

1.61 fixed that some, it looks like. It makes strength part of your original and considers your health currently. I have not applied it and tested it out.

Comment

• I have repeatedly tried to install Civ3 to no avail. During installation at the end when it gets to the music an error message pops up. It says something along the lines of

Error 1305. Error reading from file C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III\Sounds\build\IndModern\StarsFull.mp3 Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I've checked and it definitely exists. I've even listened to it. It's catchy.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Suggestions welcome.

Comment

• I would remove all folders, then run regedit to clear any registry entries for civ and then try to install it. First do try to uninstall.

Is this from a CD for Civ3 or from Gold/Complete? The latter should not need any patches, the former may.

I probably would try to copy the Cd to HD and install from it as I have seen errors reading from CD.

Have you checked their web site to see if this is a known issue?

Comment

• Got rid of the registry entries and tried installing it again and that didn't seem to help much. It did actually make it one mp3 farther into the installation before the error message popped up though.

I haven't been able to get it to copy to my hard drive either. It gets to the same point that it screws up in installation and then fails.

The disk is the original Civ3. The Civ3 website wasn't very helpful at all so I checked for forums.

Comment

• Sounds like ther could be some problem with the CD. Hav you tried to clean it? There are some tools around that may be able to read past the disk read errors and copy it to your HD.

I have used Alcohol120 to do that as it has a function to read Raw, otherwise you need to get a replacement and I don't know how that is being handled now. It was not all that good when the product was still on the shelf.

Comment

• Q: Is there a way to make your rivals remain polite towards you without having to give them gifts every two or, three turns?

Comment

Working...
                                X