Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: Once you've started trading a resource, can you stop the trade or does it go for all time. AI renegotiates after 20 years. I'd like to be able to do that as well. Not sure if this is happening for me behind the scenes or not. Also it would be nice to negotiate the number of years in the agreement as part of the terms of contract. -- Vercingettyrex
    A: At the bottom of the diplomacy screen, there is a button labeled "Active", next to a grayed-out button labeled new. By clicking on the Active button, you can see what agreements are active between you and that nation, and renegotiate them (or cancel them) by clicking on an agreement. The number in parentheses next to the agreement is how many more turns it lasts (before it can be canceled peacefully). Note that, as part of this, you can renegotiate peace, which can be very useful if you want something from an enemy who's scared to the death of you . From the active screen, you can click the "new" button to get back to the original diplomacy screen.
    Civ 3 Democracy Game:
    PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
    Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Q. Where can I find a manual online?
      A: The manual is available on the CD in PDF format.
      Last edited by MarkG; June 3, 2002, 04:11.
      Word is Bond

Comment

Few questions.

I'll add a question to the FAQ I don't have an answer to, hopefully someone does.

Q. Is there a way to "Wake All" units of a certain type much the way you can upgrade all? Or is there a way to wake them all from the military advisor screen without it automatically closing the screen and focusing you on the unit each time you try to wake one.

(it's very annoying having to individually activate every tank each time you go to war)

Comment

Q. How do you establish an embassy with another civ?
          A. After you have discovered writing….right click on your capital city and choose conduct espionage.
          read page 199 of the manual (Keystrokes: Game Stuff: Establish an Embassy). Planting a Spy, and Using an Embassy or Spy are also on the page.
          Last edited by MarkG; June 3, 2002, 04:19.

Comment

Q: How do you check embassies after you build them?
            A: Double click on the star icon in their capital city. See picture below.

Q: How do I contact Civs which I can't see on the map, but I have been introduced to by other Civs?
            A: Double click on the leader's face in the F4 screen.

Q: How change what faces are displayed on my foreign advisors screen when I am playing with more Civs than the screen allows?
            A: Hold down Shift and right click on the leaders face you want to replace, again in the F4 screen.
            Attached Files
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Q. Once you've started trading a resource, can you stop the trade or does it go for all time. AI renegotiates after 20 years. I'd like to be able to do that as well. Not sure if this is happening for me behind the scenes or not. Also it would be nice to negotiate the number of years in the agreement as part of the terms of contract.

A. [Discussed elsewhere, but here it is again]. AI may renegotiate after 20 years (especially if they want a better deal). In Negotiations screen, click "Active" on the bottom (near the "New"). If a trade has an number in parentheses by it, that is how much of the 20 years remains. If it doesn't have the number, then renegotiate without diplomatic penalty.

Q. Bombardment by air, land or sea has limited effectiveness. I accept the logic of this because at the end of the day, in history, to take any land you've got to put boots on the ground. Still I'd like bombardment to have more tactical worth than it has just now. Wonder if its possible to give some other options like interdiction, suppression etc which would then help other units ?

A. Bombardment interdiction etc. is only represented by destroying improvements on a square. If you have destroyed an improvement, subsequent bombardment may destroy all remaining improvements (assuming it works similar to pillaging).
              Last edited by MarkG; June 3, 2002, 04:21.

Comment

Q: How do you place a spy into an embassy?
                A1: Ctrl-Shift-E will plant a spy in an embassy.
                A2: Double click on the shield icon in the city that built the Intelligence Agency wonder (same position as the Embassy Icon in the Bejiing picture previously). This will also allow you to place spies in other civilizations.

(Thanks to Wal35 and Shankey Burns for the information)
                Last edited by GodSpawn; November 26, 2001, 08:47.

Comment

Q. What good are the cruise missles if they are an air unit and you can't put them on ships?

A. Cruise Missles do NOT function as air units -- they are like artillery units except they can DESTROY units (take out the last hit point). They move like ground units, so they can go most anywhere (on land, and on transports I hear).

They have a 'Rate of Fire' of 3, which is as high as bombers, but their bombardment strength is 16 instead of a bomber's 8, so they are almost effective at taking out mech infantry. They are the best bombardment unit until Radar Artillery, with the advantage of being able to destroy units and the disadvantage of being a one-shot deal (at least they're cheap).

Comment

coin on capitol star

See the image earlier in this thread.

The game starts without that little yellow dot. Even before I have met other players, it shows up for some reason. My original guess is that it is related to embassies but I don't see how that can be with no diplomatic contacts whatsoever.

Q: What does the coin on the capitol star signify?

A:

Comment

Originally posted by adaMada
                      Q: Once you've started trading a resource, can you stop the trade or does it go for all time. AI renegotiates after 20 years. I'd like to be able to do that as well. Not sure if this is happening for me behind the scenes or not. Also it would be nice to negotiate the number of years in the agreement as part of the terms of contract. -- Vercingettyrex
                      A: At the bottom of the diplomacy screen, there is a button labeled "Active", next to a grayed-out button labeled new. By clicking on the Active button, you can see what agreements are active between you and that nation, and renegotiate them (or cancel them) by clicking on an agreement. The number in parentheses next to the agreement is how many more turns it lasts (before it can be canceled peacefully). Note that, as part of this, you can renegotiate peace, which can be very useful if you want something from an enemy who's scared to the death of you . From the active screen, you can click the "new" button to get back to the original diplomacy screen.
                      Do I have the same version as you? (1.07f)
                      By diplomacy screen, I am infering you mean the Foreign Advisor screen.

My diplomacy screen only has an "active" check box to the right side and it just toggles lines to the pictures of leaders with whom I have routes.

I'd like to have access to this information you describe here.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHat

Do I have the same version as you? (1.07f)
                        By diplomacy screen, I am infering you mean the Foreign Advisor screen.

My diplomacy screen only has an "active" check box to the right side and it just toggles lines to the pictures of leaders with whom I have routes.

I'd like to have access to this information you describe here.
                        No. The foreign advisor is the foreign advisor. The diplomacy screen is when you can see another leader's head. You know...the head screen with two boxes for making deals. Below the place that lists options and such, there is another box that says "new" and "active". Usually you are making a "new" deal. "Active" deals are what you already have going on, like trading gems for oil, or trading 9999999999 gold for nothing (heh). If you aren't at war, there will be a "peace treaty". If it's been 20 turns or more, you can re-nogotiate any deal. You can't re-negotiate if it hasn't been 20 turns. You can tell how many turns it's been for each deal, because there is a number in parentheses, such as (18) Gems.

Wraa.
                        Tremble, foolish mortal, for I am the mighty SPEARMAN, and I shall destroy you where you stand!

Comment

Q: Ok, I made an army of three knights, but now I want to replace my units. How do I remove units from my army? I see no "unload"-button available.
                          A1: Either it can't be done, because noone ever thought that you would remove units from an army to replace them. I mean, EVERYONE has groups of knights riding around with their tanks nowdays... OR, it is some bug assiciated with the fact that silly you never have played without changing this and that in the editor first... such as the research-bug when playing scenarios without default rules.
                          If you don't like it, MOD IT!

Comment

Ok, I made an army of three knights, but now I want to replace my units. How do I remove units from my army? I see no "unload"-button available.
                            Wyrno: This is a last-minute gameplay decision. It´s in the Readme file on the CD. I guess they thought armies would be too powerful else. But still, its silly that you can´t upgrade the units in the army.

Comment

Q: How do I make Great Leaders come about?

A: A Great Leader occurs approximately 1 in 16 times when an Elite unit wins a battle. So to increase your chances of aquiring a GL, increase the number of times you attack with elite units. Building barracks helps, so your units dont need two promotions before becoming elite. Having a militiristic civ helps, but is not essential.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Q Can I play say 16 civs on a small sized map? Or for that matter any amount (up to 16) on any size map?

Q If this is posible, how would I go about doing this?

Q How do I play on earth with historic locations?
                                Last edited by Pythagoras; November 28, 2001, 00:14.
                                "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X