No announcement yet.

MAP: Real World Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 2.3 is here. See the first post.

All Civs now have at least 40 cities, some 60.

Tech rate is now 340.
    "It is not given to man to know what is right and what is wrong. Men always did and always will err and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong."

Comment

Re: Civ3Breed file

Originally posted by narmox
      For those who are too lazy to check the coordinates for all 16 civs, here's the file to use with civ3breed and the worldmap v 2.2. I don't know exactly how civ3breed works, so it may need changing "Iroquois" to "Inca" to actually work. When I used this I just reset the map to the
      Nah, change the *americans* to Inca.
      Americans are just an offshoot of the other civs anyway.

Comment

Help!!!
        I am using the real cities map and the year is around 1750 AD. I can no longer build cities because I get a, 'too many cities' message and the city converts back to a settler.
        This is causing my game to lock up, because when the computer tries to build a city it goes into a loop with the settler trying to build the city. The lockup occurs anytime I have a unit in visual range of the settler.
        Has anyone else had this problem? ?
        Is there anyway to correct this?

Comment

Re: Colorado River

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
          In the options it has the following for the World Sizes:
          Huge (180x180)- Tech Rate: 200
          With a map this size (255x255) a Tech Rate somewhere between 250-350 would be more accurate.
          to use these you have to set with edor the "optimal" amount of cities to much more than 30, take 200 or more

the city limit is 250 total, after patch 500

watch sav file size. If the sav file size is more than 8 MB the game crashes.
          This with the extendet 255x255 map happens normal around 1800-1900
          So the huge map the maximum playable size is if you like to play a long running game without early victory by diplomatic or culture or space racing, but make a game until 2050 or until you own the whole world.
          http://AlphaCentauri.US/ in English and German
          http://civ3.2be.cc/
          http://1steuro.net/

Comment

lordmoore, I wish someone else had replied to your post as I too have the same problem and havent been able to find a way around it. For a while I could avoid places where the AI was trying to colonize, but settlers soon overran everything. Another trick is to capture and raze cities since their is a city limit per world (500 I guess), not per Civ. I had captured opposing cities, razed them, and then built my own in other locations. But sooner or later, too many settlers will show up on the map. It has rendered this otherwise great map unplayable.
            God protect me from my friends, I can protect myself from my enemies.

Comment

Can't get it?

I can't get the map, it just keeps saying "cannot find page" everytime I try to download it What's wrong?

Comment

They were going through a server change. Anyways...

I suspect the server change wiped out my last attempt to update here goes:

Terrain changes have been made to try and limit cities in desets and tundra (and therefore the total number of cities in the game). Tundra and desert provide no food even with irrigation. You can no longer plant trees on tundra. Let me know how this works.

See the first post for the download.
                "It is not given to man to know what is right and what is wrong. Men always did and always will err and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong."

Comment

Is there any way to fix the problem of the civs being in the wrong place (Zulus in Japan, Germans in south africa) etc?

Comment

MisterV a player start location tool has now been added. It's the one by Gramphos. It's pretty straightforward to use. See the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterV
                      Is there any way to fix the problem of the civs being in the wrong place (Zulus in Japan, Germans in south africa) etc?
                      I prefer CIV3BREED http://apolyton.net/forums/attachmen...&postid=626094
                      http://AlphaCentauri.US/ in English and German
                      http://civ3.2be.cc/
                      http://1steuro.net/

Comment

Great Job!

This map is exceptional. I am just about finished my world map 256 x 256 and I can tell all you people it is the most time consuming thing ever. Curious, Selanne how did you make this map so accurate (said it wasn’t by free hand)? It seems flawless?

I will post my map tomorrow if able to finish on time.
                        One question though, on my map I constantly had to struggle trying to balance the right terrain with correct shape. For example switching from grassland to the plains causes a huge size change, around coastal areas this change can totally distort the shape. In the end I opted for shape over correct terrain - wondering now after reading the comments how picky people will be

The Robinson Projection does it not show the Antarctic? Or is that a something you excluded? If you did I think it was a smart choice, with the additional space you saved it gives your map a more detailed look. Your Mediterranean is much more detailed than mine though both our maps are the same size (wishing I had excluded those useless ice blocked areas)

Anyhow, once again this map is by far the best world map I have seen – Great Job!
                        Last edited by teturkhan; August 1, 2002, 23:29.
                        TETurkhan Test of Time Map & Mod - Version 2.0 soon to be posted
                        TETurkhan Strategy Thread - Discuss ways to play the mod
                        [COLOR=sky blue]TETurkhan Stories & Tales - Zion Ambition[/COLOR]

Comment

I don't have Civ3 on this comp... is there a screenshot or something available of the map? I want to see it!!
                          You make my life and times
                          A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

Thanks Teterkhan, great to hear from a fellow Canadian.

Math. It's all in the Math. Get a map. Plot out the dimensions. Do the conversion from that map size to the civ3 size.

For example assume the civ3 map was 200x200 and the map I'm using is 10mmx10mm. If London is 50mm from the left margin and 22 mm from the north margin then it's civ location would be about 100 in by 44 down. Often you'll get multiple possibilities (ie an odd and an even coordinate) so you just place it where it looks best.

I purosely excluded Antarctica so the playable map would be bigger.

I've got another slightly smaller world map coming soon. Just been playing with different starting locations and adding civs.

As for screenshots, I'm embarrased to say i have no clue how to do them. Pointers?

Comment

Did the same thing

I did the same thing, used longitude and latitude lines... where they crossed on a globe I placed a pollution spot on the Civ map. Once the grid was completed I proceeded to work on each square one by one. Right now I am still fine tuning it (coast, resources etc), and utilizing the new editor's zoom feature which makes it much easier to pick out mistakes.

Your choice to leave the farthest northern & southern hemispheres out was very smart. Some might not like it, but this frees up space that you can apply to more important parts of the world, the more squares you have the more detailed map you will get - very good move - big time.

I know many people are not keen on large maps, but in time, as systems get faster the larger maps will be put to use more often. Right now there are a number of excellent maps out there - Yours, Kalel's, Marlas, and mine due to be posted soon...

anyway once again awesome job!

Screen shots, get this software:
                              CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers

after downloading open the program, then open the Civ Editor with your map, click on the minimap, then click back to the snapshot program and go to capture active window, it will take a snapshot of the minimap, and the rest I am sure you will figure out...
                              Last edited by teturkhan; August 5, 2002, 12:18.
                              TETurkhan Test of Time Map & Mod - Version 2.0 soon to be posted
                              TETurkhan Strategy Thread - Discuss ways to play the mod
                              [COLOR=sky blue]TETurkhan Stories & Tales - Zion Ambition[/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Re: Civ3Breed file

Originally posted by carioca

Nah, change the *americans* to Inca.
                                Americans are just an offshoot of the other civs anyway.
                                Being an American (though Texan First) I think I'm insulted. While we did rebel from England and we have a highly diversified ethnicity We DO have a civillization of our own.

But suppose I'll forgive ya for it.
                                "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it."-Robert E. Lee

Texas Above All

Comment

Working...
                                X