No announcement yet.

Is anyone doing a 256x256 Map of Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone doing a 256x256 Map of Earth?

Just wondering who else is giving it ago

I am doing it now, I've only done NZ at the moment; did a small country so I can work out the scaling easily. I played it (with just NZ) to see how it would run with such a large map, (and also to see how NZ looks coz there's no map view thing in the editor ).

Funningly, with just one tiny NZ at the bottom right corner, it ran quite slowly..
    be free

Just finished one. Took me most of the last two days. New Zealand is there, although all the way on the other side of the map from Australia which is a little confusing. I can't believe they included Hawaii in the origional map but not New Zealand -- 100 Hawaiis could fit comfortably in N.Z.

Comment

How big is the file size? could u upload it?

btw, I think they simply forgot to put in NZ, coz the standard one has NZ in it
      be free

Comment

1 suggestion (which you may have already done)... don't forget to remove the remove the polar ice caps. There is no glacier at the North Pole. Antartica (South Pole) could be made with tundra for now.

Comment

they can't be removed..
          be free

Comment

Yes, it's a preference somewhere, you can remove the ice caps.
            -Karhgath

Comment

I find this ineresting, Although the GIGAWORLD map from CIV II is listed at 127 x 230, It is actually 254x 230 in Civ III.

So, if you copy maps from CIV II (by hand or on graph paper) you have to double the listed width.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to make a bigger map than 256x 256?

I'm trying to modify GIGAWORLD now.

Flash
              Flash
              Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
              the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

I´ve tried making larger than 256x256 Civ3 maps by hexediting a BIC file, but it doesn´t work. Any dimension larger than 256 will simply be reset down to 256.

[rant]So while I thought I heard Civ3 maps could be way larger than in Civ2, they can´t (not compared to MGE/ToT anyway) and their width can only be much smaller.

I was expecting maps with a surface up to 65536, so I had prepared a truly huge map, but even my gigantic 170x170 Civ2 map (not done yet) is too large for Civ3.[/rant]
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

mercator,
                  I hear you clearly. I was working on a nice huge map until I recently discovered the numbering change from Civ II to Civ III, Frustrated the hell out of me.

At least CTP 2 allowed for som huge maps. and also CivII with the mod.

While we're ranting, I still think undersea units and cities and space units and cities were cool.

I'm curious if AC 2 or MOO 3 would add on to CIV III, so after you launch your space ship.... you import your civIII data and continue where you left off.....

Flash
                  Flash
                  Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                  the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Working...
                  X