Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigantic World map...

Hi folks!

Well, I still don´t have Civ3, but I have received a confirmation Email by Amazon that my game has shipped

Anyway, I have made a huge Earthmap originally for Civ2 MGE / ToT (150x200), but I think you could use the design also for Civ3...

Compare this with the original map...

You can find the new map here:

Have fun!
    http://www.worldtour.cc/rest/civ/

Comment

MrNett, would you be so nett and email me that map to andz83@gmx.net ? thank you

Comment

Update

Matte979:One thing, maybe add more resources? There might be to little of them if you play 16 civs.
        I added additional resources to the map. I determined what resources to add where from various websites I went to. I could not get the website Mr.Roger suggested to work right, but anyone can feel free to adjust/update the map.

Currently there are about 11-20 of each strategic resource on the map... before some where as low as 4.

Attached is the updated version...
        Attached Files

Comment

The map is much better than the default almightbob! Thanks alot!

Of course you can never get a fully realistic map since the world is flat in civ and sphere in the real world.

Either you have to sacrifice the shape of the world (continents have a different form than they do in the real world) or the landmass of world (continents are bigger or smaller than in the real world).

But this map is a vera good compromise on both areas, thanks alot!
          If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
          And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

oops, no reason to send the map, Nett... I didn't realize there's a link given

Comment

Hey Mr Nett

Your huge Civ2 map looks fantastic!! Beautiful work, first class. I hope someone with the know-how, and the patience, can transform it into a Civ3 map before my copy of the game arrives from Canada.

Comment

For those of you who asked I did it by hard old fashion work, I opened my Civ 3 editor and my civ 2 editor and went screen by screen, tile by tile. I cant get an All world screen since the editor won't allow me to zoom out. I guess i could play the game all the way through and use the mini map screen, but I don't think Im going to. and i'll take A look at that large world map Mr.Nett and see what I think.
                "How can you shoot women and children?"
                "Easy! You just don't lead 'em as much!
                Ain't war hell?"
                - Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Well, I'm not at home this week, and I don't have Civ2 installed on this machine. But as soon as I get home to my comp and my DSL , I'll download all the stuff

Comment

Just to let you fellow civers know, I am currently working on an excelelnt very large world map. its looking sweet right now.

It is 250W by 180H

Im thinking i will copy the 1st version of it and make it so one will feature a already completed panama and suez cannels while the other will be uncompleted forcing you to travel around south america and Africa.

What do you think?
                    "Its a great day for Hockey"
                    - Badger Bob Johnson -

Comment

What about resources on these maps? Do they exist, or does the game assigns them randomly?
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Yes you have control of where you want each indivitual resource. this iwll make my map much more realistic.
                        "Its a great day for Hockey"
                        - Badger Bob Johnson -

Comment

Re: Update

Originally posted by Pyrodrew

I added additional resources to the map. I determined what resources to add where from various websites I went to. I could not get the website Mr.Roger suggested to work right, but anyone can feel free to adjust/update the map.

Currently there are about 11-20 of each strategic resource on the map... before some where as low as 4.

Attached is the updated version...
                          Cool. Question, though: if you start a game with this map, will it put villages around in places? As in goody huts and barbarians, etc?

Also, if you want to avoid that annoying science advisor bug that keeps you from clicking on it, just make a copy, set that copy for 'use default rules' and save it. It keeps that annoying bug away quite nicely.
                          |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
                          | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

ok, I looked at Pyrodrew's map too see what he had done with it. There was only one real problem that i could find with it. This is the problem of Horses in the americas. any one who knows history will tell you that horses were imported by the europeans and that native americans didn't have horses untill then. other than that his map looked good. So I updated my map with more rescources and then I placed goody huts and barbarian villages. I then play tested it several times adding rescources when ever I found a major problem and things seem to work better. Some of the resources were left with a low number for the specific purpose of making compitition to aquire that resource. It adds a level to the game that I found some what lacking in Pyrodrew's version. But i do plan to play for some time more on the map as different Civs in different locations, just to see how it all works out and because this game rules, even with the problems we have been having.
                            Last edited by AlmightyBob; November 6, 2001, 00:55.
                            Ain't war hell?"

Comment

Thanks pyrodrew, Almighty Bob and everyone for all the great work.

I can't use your maps yet as I'm still waiting for my game to arrive from Canada. Can you tell me whether Civ 3 will start each civ in its historic location on your maps. Will the English appear in England, or might the game cause them to start anywhere on the map. If the latter, can this be fixed so that civs start where they historically belong.

Comment

This is one of the major problems of the game. In this version of the editor you cannot put a Civ in its historic place. You can only make a tile a place for a civ, any civ to start. I say this version of the the editor because rumor has it that Firaxis will update it in the future to include these options. what I have been doing to work around this is simply pick the civ I want and if I don't start where I want to, I simply start a new game until I get the right spot. unfortunatly this doesn't help for computer civs. You might play against the Americans in Europe and the Chinese in North America. I thought about just placing a single player starting location where I wanted to start, thinking that the computer would place me there and the other civs would be placed randomly but this did not seem to work. has anyone else tried this?
                                Ain't war hell?"

Comment

Working...
                                X