Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UTILITY: Civ3MultiTool - A thread for the Program ;)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview of new MultiTool Member

This is a screenshot on the new tool I've been working on for a while. I hope it can come in handy. It is not mush left to do, just some final integration, filtering, and make it use the rules to get the name of all units left before I can have the first version of it ready (just edit existing keys.) Adding keys wouldn't be very hard, I just have to write a good sorting function, so it might be possible in the future, but right not I'll focus on getting this version out. If wanted I might make a standalone version of this tool, as it doesn't need to read the BIC, as it is just the names it should get from there.

Tell me what you think, and give suggestions for the final interface.
    Attached Files
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

• v0.90

v0.90
      - A Civilopedia editor has been added (started with /pedia)
      - Some crash bugs fixed

233 kB

377 downloads
      Last edited by Gramphos; April 19, 2002, 18:15.

Comment

• A question for Gramphos:

How much diffrence does it make to use on a computr without Civ 3. I installed on my laptop (full install) v0.90 and the save editor and the copy tool work. However when I try load th Civilipedia editor it doesn't work. I don't get a crash it just doesn't appear. Are there any *.ocx's not included in the installatioon that this editor uses?

heardie

Comment

• Originally posted by heardie
          A question for Gramphos:

How much diffrence does it make to use on a computr without Civ 3. I installed on my laptop (full install) v0.90 and the save editor and the copy tool work. However when I try load th Civilipedia editor it doesn't work. I don't get a crash it just doesn't appear. Are there any *.ocx's not included in the installatioon that this editor uses?

heardie
          There is an ocx extra for v0.90 not needed in erlier versions. It is included in the 0.90 setup, and IIRC listed in the first post. I don't know how the effect of not haveing civ3 is. If it can't locate the civ3path it might fail to load civilopedia.txt

Comment

• Just a note about next version:
            It will be translateable by the use of a textfile. (I got tired of reentering all popups, so I started by adding them, and as the Poles showed interest in translating it to Polish I extended the support to allow editing af almost all strings. Threre are still some that can't be changed, but most of them can be.

If you want to translate it to another language I can send you the files required (including prebuilds of the upcoming version so you cantest it. (All changes has not been made yet)). Just send me a PM with the email I shall send i to, or use the email function.

Comment

• Flat world problem

Hay Gramphos I am haveing some problems keeping the map a flat world.
              I am currently working on a scen that MUST have a flat world w/ correct starting posistions. I can get it to work before I change starting posistions, but once I do, the map is reverted back to a round world. I have tried many variants to this like importing the bic map once the correct posistions have been set, but no matter it is still a round world.

If you want I can send you the map I am wanting to fix. You may find it interesting... Is there anyway to set the save game maps to a fixed flat world instead?

Comment

• My time is very limited until after Easter, so I don't have time for any extensions of my tool. I'll however look into this matter as soon as I have the time. Did you make the position change with CPT or C3MT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gramphos
                  My time is very limited until after Easter, so I don't have time for any extensions of my tool. I'll however look into this matter as soon as I have the time. Did you make the position change with CPT or C3MT?
                  I completly understand...
                  And I did use C3MT...

Comment

• Just questions for ...anyone out there.

(1) When you add new buildings, does that mean that you cannot create the old one? For example, I've seperated the Airport (Commercial) and the Air Force Base (Military). But if I build both, then look on the 'Aerial View' graphic screen, won't it try to put the two graphics in the same spot, and crash? Or does it paste one on top of the other?

Just a thought.

(2) I'm trying to make a much more complete and complex tech tree, as I find that on Emperor level (and the odd Diety, though usually I'm so far behind in technology after a thousand years that its just funny) I end up building the Apollo project and starting Spaceships in the 1400's, which to me is just too early. Adding new buildings would be nice...I've added several new units, though I haven't done graphics because I'm not much of an artist. But I don't want to ruin everything by adding too much. Does anyone know if or what are the limits on units, technologies, buildings?

Thanks for any help.
                    ===Harpoonz=>

Comment

• Buildings you add can't have a image in the city view, as far as we've found out yet. There is no practical limit to buildings and units, but techs are limited to the icon problem. I'm not very well informed on that part, but each time you add a tech I think you'll have to use one icon less.

Comment

• I'm guess with the prohabition until Easter getting a text comma / tab delimited export of the units is out of the question

(What I want to do is rebalance units, and I'd like to use a spreadsheet to do it with...)

Thanks,
                        Shawn
                        Waiting for 1.18

Comment

• Oh...

Lacking massive amounts of work being done at my whim by Gramphos, I put together a spreadsheet of the 1.17 unit values, their depth in the tech tree, and the age they are in (See attached).

The eventual purpose of this is to scale up the attack and defense values "by age", and I had put some age in "half" values since they come late in the age -- i.e. "3.5" for tanks. I was pondering what the impact of this was, and when considering the "soft" combat model used in CivIII (spearman / tank etc), I realized it didn't really matter all that much. Changing a value by a point or two just doesn't do much after the middle ages.

That was when the lightbulb went on

The AI doesn't need to understand the tech tree!
                          1. With the combat model relying heavily on luck, quantity matters more than quality (consider the threads about doing Jaguar Warrior rushes in the middle ages)
                          2. Tech devaluation keeps the AI from getting very far in technology
                          3. Ages keep you from taking wild branches in the tech tree

All the AI needs to do is build the unit with the highest (attack / shields) or (defense / shields). Strategic planning is moot and ROI is guaranteed. While the AI may understand there is an offensive unit available with military tradition, it doesn't really need to know how effective that unit is to do a ROI calculation. (FWIW, calvary wins almost twice as often against a fortified musketman in a town, for only 10 more shields!)

I suspect that fiddling with the numbers to too great a degree will set the AI back, since it would not be able to recognize "breakpoints" (i.e. military tradition).

Cheers,
                          Shawn
                          Attached Files
                          Waiting for 1.18

Comment

• This may be completely unrelated to C3MT, but does anyone know of way that I can kill a civilization? In my current game I've eliminated the Japanese, but the computer won't recognize their demise, so I'm locked in eternal war and my Japanese citizens are beginning to get uneasy. I used C3MT to search for remaining Japanese units, but there aren't any. In Civ II it was possible to use the "cheat" function to kill a civilization. Is there a utility available that can solve my problem?
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              This may be completely unrelated to C3MT, but does anyone know of way that I can kill a civilization? In my current game I've eliminated the Japanese, but the computer won't recognize their demise, so I'm locked in eternal war and my Japanese citizens are beginning to get uneasy. I used C3MT to search for remaining Japanese units, but there aren't any. In Civ II it was possible to use the "cheat" function to kill a civilization. Is there a utility available that can solve my problem?
                              C3MT can currently not kill a civ. I don't know ehere the game keeps the info if a civ is alive or not, and haven't had the time to check on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Knight
                                I'm guess with the prohabition until Easter getting a text comma / tab delimited export of the units is out of the question

(What I want to do is rebalance units, and I'd like to use a spreadsheet to do it with...)

Thanks,
                                Shawn
                                Exactly what do you want?

I don't plan to release any new version before as easrliest a week after Ester... So if it is a simple change I might be able to add it.

Comment

Working...
                                X