Play CIV III and LOSE WEIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play CIV III and LOSE WEIGHT!

Ok, this is totally On Topic! I'm not selling anything, certainly not some diet supplement or such.... I debated whether or not to bring this up and I'm throwing caution to the wind here and here it goes:

This thread is about playing CIV III and losing weight.

If you're a CIV III player who goes to the gym, or has a high metabolism, or only plays CIV III when your not out playing sports with your super model girlfriend all the time, you won't find this interesting, you are excused.

The rest of us chubby computer game players will find this interesting (well, I did...)

I burned off 2000 calories last night playing CIV III for 2 hours. Heres how:

Put a treadmill in front of your computer.

My Treadmill and PC setup

Stay with me here! I'm not making this up. I"m only bringing this up because I wish I thought of it sooner.... It all makes sense now...

In the summer of 2003 I weighed 245 lbs. I was tired all the time. I ended up with heart trouble and was in and out of the hospital for different tests related to health problems. I was pre-diabetic. My doctor told me I would have diabetes in 5 years. He put me on heart medication. When I told him I didn't want to take it, he said "if you don't take it, next winter you will go outside to shovel snow and die right there of a heart attack".

Yikes.

I tried riding my bike (not enough nice days in Boston to really ride a bike) jogging on a bike path (bad knees and out of breath), dieting (just made me more tired).

So I thought, what if I could harness the power of my computer game addiction (which partly is responsible for the problem...) and make it work for me?

JANUARY 2004:

I got a medium price treadmill (nice big shocks on the bottom - good for knees) $650
    I put together a spare PC I had kicking around (amd 1.1 - 512mb - 80 gig hdd) It didn't cost me, but it could be bought for just a few hundred.
    I got an ATI all in wonder card ($50 32mb card. You don't need much to run CIV III and it does other things too, more later...)
    I got a wireless finger mouse on Ebay. Search Ebay for wireless finger mouse

I put Civ III complete on the PC and started out slow. 3 mph, with no incline.

OH MY HEAD MY LEGS HURT BAD! You'd think I just ran a marathon... I stayed on the treadmill for an average of 1 hour a day at just 3 mph for the first month. Each month I increased the speed, incline or both.

Playing CIV III with just the mouse takes some patience since I was used to the keyboard short cuts, but once you get into it, its not bad. The longest I've ever played CIV III on the treadmill was 2.5 hours. Thats around 2500 calories now (I'm currently up to 4.5 mph at a 7.5% incline, its like climbing a hill for 2.5 hours!)

In 1 year:
    I lost 30 lbs.
    I went from a size 40 pants, to size 36.
    I sleep like a baby.
    I don't need so much coffee
    I feel great. I'm a lot more alert during the day.
    I LOVE running into people I haven't seen in a couple years. "WOW, did you lose a bunch of weight??"

Also, there is a lot more you can do on the treadmill too with the above setup:
    I beat Halo (can't play Civ III ALL the time )
    I watch TV on the All In Wonder card (had the cable company run a line into the workout room),
    The All In Wonder comes with software that allows you to record TV shows like TiVo.
    I put all my .mp3's on the PC.

By far though, the one thing I can count on to pass the most time on the treadmill is Civ III. I played for 2 hours last night and the time passed like it was nothing....

This is not off topic, THIS IS INCREDIBLY ON TOPIC.

The billiance in this idea is the simplicity. I am going to see what I can cook up. I have an old computer, an old monitor and have been thinking about getting some type of work out machine...
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well done, IG!! Great idea... the boredom of treadmills and exercise bikes has always been a problem for me.

/me plans for a Civ4 exercise bike.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Hmm, never thought of that before. Problem is: I'm so used to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes while I'm forwarding my plans for global domination that I would have a hard time doing these things on a treadmill...
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

pure genuis....

way to make it work for you, guess no one can say playing video games isnt always productive....

P.S. is there any way i could post this on another site, i think its pretty sweet, just thought id ask for permission before i did....
          Last edited by Footballgod128; May 10, 2005, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Footballgod128
            P.S. is there any way i could post this on another site, i think its pretty sweet, just thought id ask for permission before i did....
            Please Do! Post away!

I can also answer any questions that might come up.

There were a few other things I realized about this idea too, like the monitor and PC were originally on some old furniture I had kicking around, but after I realized how easy it was to work out while playing games, I had a friend of mine build a custom cabinet (in the picture) that holds the monitor at my head level.

I even got Dragon Naturally Speaking with a headset and tried to program it so I could speak the commands in Civ III, but that didn't quite work right. The units were going the wrong way and the menus were coming up when I didn't want them. I might try again sometime though...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
              Hmm, never thought of that before. Problem is: I'm so used to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes while I'm forwarding my plans for global domination that I would have a hard time doing these things on a treadmill...
              It might sound crazy, but you could do both on the treadmill. The coffee would dry you out though.... I keep a 32 oz. jug of water (with a small splash of juice added) next to the treadmill on a shelf as I work out. I go through 32 oz per hour. Without the water, I fall apart after 20 minutes.

DISCLAIMER: anyone who wants to try this should consult a doctor first. I am not a doctor. I didn't consult my doctor first, but considering how bad my health was at the time, I figured I had nothing to lose....

Comment

I just made a similar set up, best of all playing Civ no longer feels like I'm wasting time or procrastinating.

IG how about a few more pics. Is that keyboard mounted on the treadmill?
                Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
                The continuing saga of The Five Nations
                A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Hum, a treadmill? A walking thingy? I'm hooking up my excercice bike to feed the comp with juice!

Not a bad Idea... I just lack the space for anything like that...

I could use exercise... 100kilograms is a bit much... And I have the symptoms you described...
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

maybe you should patent this, you could make some serious $$$$

Comment

Originally posted by 1889
                      IG how about a few more pics. Is that keyboard mounted on the treadmill?
                      I only have one other picture that came out:

Original setup without the custom made cabinet

The room is extremely small so its hard to get decent pictures. When the treadmill is down the back is only 1 inch from the wall and the monitor is up against the wall on the other side.

The keyboard fits nicely into a shelf that was made to hold a book for reading. I tried reading, but its really hard to do. Plus I have a fan on the floor facing me, a fan on the treadmill (you can see it in the picture) and a fan in the window behind me pulling air out of the room so its too windy for the book....

I have thought about using this idea to make money, but can't see how. I was thinking about spending more time really designing the custom cabinet with a metal arm to hold the keyboard better. I'm supposed to be moving this summer and when I do I also might build a thin metal pole "shell" around the treadmill. Then I'll put the keyboard on a metal bracket so its closer, and put 4 speakers around the treadmill for surround sound. I've watched many movies on the treadmill too, like Star Wars and LOTR.

There are some gyms that do something similar to this now where they give you a tv for your treadmill, but no xbox, no computer.

Comment

I'm a runner/rower and I spend hours on the treadmill. I added a TV a while back and it's much easier to stay on there. Nice idea with the PC

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Giant
                          I have thought about using this idea to make money, but can't see how.
                          I get plenty of exercise IRL (working on the supermodel ), but having a more physical interface with the game would be welcome. Civ4 is being designed with MP integrated, so they need innovations for expansion packs. Maybe they should make one with a floor pad to emulate number pad movement and call it the Civ Civ Revolution expansion. If you like to micro-manage, it would sure burn some calories...
                          Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel2D

the Civ Civ Revolution expansion. If you like to micro-manage, it would sure burn some calories...
                            "Civ Civ Revolution". That is classic A pun of a pun of a pun...

Comment

Civ Civ Revolution

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X