No announcement yet.

Do you raze Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going into Anarchy does not reset WW but it does prevent more from adding up and of course you suffer no WW while in Anarchy. If you have enough units and know you can end the war within the Anarchy time frame, it can sometimes be a better gov't than Republic or Democracy. Remember, you pay no maintenance and no unit support at all under Anarchy.

Once you hit 50% lux, your research is dead anyway. Chances are most of your gold is paying for units with the remainder going to maintenance. However, it's possible in a long war that you find yourself running a deficit. Switch to Anarchy and turn over all your cities to the happiness governor to minimize riots and maximize food. Yeah, your cities may shrink down a point or two, but that's better than having to rebuild a cathedral lost during a riot.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
      Going into Anarchy does not reset WW but it does prevent more from adding up and of course you suffer no WW while in Anarchy.
      WW adds all the time, whenever you are at war, independent from the government form your civ is in. Only Feudalism, Republic, and Democracy receive the negative effects of WW, though. And you will feel that, once out of Anarchy.

If you have enough units and know you can end the war within the Anarchy time frame, it can sometimes be a better gov't than Republic or Democracy. Remember, you pay no maintenance and no unit support at all under Anarchy.
      And also, you'll be a couple turns without research, without the possibility to rush things, and with a higher flip risk. No, thanks.

Once you hit 50% lux, your research is dead anyway. Chances are most of your gold is paying for units with the remainder going to maintenance. However, it's possible in a long war that you find yourself running a deficit. Switch to Anarchy and turn over all your cities to the happiness governor to minimize riots and maximize food. Yeah, your cities may shrink down a point or two, but that's better than having to rebuild a cathedral lost during a riot.
      If you need to go to 50% lux, you should be running a different government for a long time now. 50% lux means you'd be better off even with a Monarchy, and much better with other governments that don't receive WW. You'll need to switch anyway, so you'll have to take Anarchy, whatever it brings.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

As long as you got a ww-affected government you will often end up in a situation where ww gets so ugly something drastic have to be done about it. If peace is not an option, anarchy may provide you with those few turns you need to finish someone off completely.
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44

WW adds all the time, whenever you are at war, independent from the government form your civ is in. Only Feudalism, Republic, and Democracy receive the negative effects of WW, though. And you will feel that, once out of Anarchy.
          Yes, good point about accumulating WW. However if you could finish the war while in Anarchy, you could effectively do a Republic to Republic switch and no longer need to worry about WW.

And also, you'll be a couple turns without research, without the possibility to rush things, and with a higher flip risk. No, thanks.
          If you have 50% lux, you're hardly doing any research anyway. Unit support also gets nasty with big wars. You can end up running a deficit. Again my point was simply if you are only a few turns away from ending a war, it sometimes makes sense to switch to Anarchy to save on gold and to prevent riots.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44

This is true- if the war continues, and although the WW will not reset for 20 turns, it will not matter unless you have to go to war again with this civ (which you obviously can not do if it no longer exists)

And also, you'll be a couple turns without research, without the possibility to rush things, and with a higher flip risk. No, thanks..
            its worth the risk for the anarchy period, but once anarchy ends a peace traty must be signed.

If you need to go to 50% lux, you should be running a different government for a long time now. 50% lux means you'd be better off even with a Monarchy, and much better with other governments that don't receive WW. You'll need to switch anyway, so you'll have to take Anarchy, whatever it brings.
            If
            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Back to the origional point of the thread; in the early game, i'll go pretty far out of my way to keep and protect good wonders I can take, but in the late game, burn them all. Especally wonders that give landmass-basesed bonuses on another contenent; sure, you've taken a few cities on that contanent, and yeah, it'd be nifty to have a Hoover Dam or something there, but it won't ever really do you much good, while if your opponent gets it back (usually by culture flip) it'll help him a lot more. If I'm in a situation where the wonder will probably flip back, I'll usually raze it rather then let him have it back, unless it's something I REALLY need for some reason (like a Leo's right before I upgrade to Mech Infantry, or a Sistine Chapel at a key moment). Of course, early game, it's a different story; if I a city flips or is retaken 3 times and I lose 3 whole stacks of units, but get a pyramids or an oracle or something, it's probably worth it.

Late game, there have also been times I've started wars specifically in order to raze the UN building.

Comment

Personally, I have less trouble with unit support costs during a war than in peace time with Republic.

During the war, I'm losing some units, lowering my costs while at the same time I'm increasing my number of cities, increasing my number of free units, also lowering my costs.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

there should be some penalty to razing. I was playing smac and was about to raze a city then I realized the penalty for doing so .

it's doubtful they'll include a penalty for it in civ4 though. but who knows.

Comment

Let me get this straight. Captured cities with wonders are more likely to revolt in civ3 than the same city would have been if it hadn't had the wonder?

Comment

Well you do have penalty for razing, all civs dislike it and it adds up in your rep, if you care.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                        Let me get this straight. Captured cities with wonders are more likely to revolt in civ3 than the same city would have been if it hadn't had the wonder?
                        I do not know that the wonders have anything to do with revolt chances. The reason it would appear so is that wonder cities are going to be large and that is the main danger to it. They will have more resisters at the start.

Comment

Wonder cities will also have more culture, which influnce the change of a flip.
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Wonder cities are core cities, so if you are capturing them, not much is left of the empire. If they are not metros, then I am not concerned about the flip. If they are metros, I do not want to deal with the need for pollution and pop. If you could sell off hospitals, then I may want to hold a metro.

I only hold metros to prevent border expansion, so I can get use of the surrounding tiles. I may not be able to get a settler in to grab tiles for my next move. This was bigger concern in Civ3, where you cannot just abandon a populated city on the same turn.

Comment

and if they are core cities, you should be close to their capitol. So take that too. I always take their palace.

sure it changes location, but if I'm speaking correctly, I think the new palace will take some time to accumulate culture. although preferribly I like to kick their palace off my continent completely onto an island. that's when I make peace.

Comment

I just *gave away* Shakespeare's Theatre!!!

I'm still screwing around with the Vikings (they are more and more awesome as I learn to use them better ), and I engaging in some nasty pillaging to prune the stronger AI civs... at the same time, I am gifting captured cities to weaker AI civs from other continents, just to mix things up.

Side benefit, btw: The sole Berserker in the city gets teleported home!!!
                                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                                X