Do you raze Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you raze Wonders

NOTE: this is playing on a mod of my own, a modified version of the All Units mod from civfanatics on the Marla gig world Map.

I am playing as the Maya, and I had been in a race with the American for control of North America. I was able to secure all of Central America, the Carribean, and the Western US, with the Rockies, the Missouri and the lower Mississippi as the border. Well, playing on the Americas, we American civs fell behind the Eurasian civs in tech- I have been tyring to catch up, but unfortunately the Americans went ahead of me as well, after a short superiority of my own.

So, I decided to end my American problem with the most radical action, my first ever genocidal campaign. I got my GA and used it to build a massive army- the Americans, who lead the world scoreboard ignored their military might and then, had the gaul to use a right of passage to sneak attack me! Their pitiful sneak attack was turned back, and on the very first turn of war 5 American cities were burned to the ground.

My problem is this- the war is for all intents over- no way the Americans can recover from having now 11 cities burned down, including many of their largest. Now a massive army moves on their capital and other masisve armies on other cities- but I remember that the Americans have the temple of Artemis (now obselete) and perhaps other obselete wonders. Now, part of my genocidal rational was that they have more culture than me, and I don;t want to risk cultural flips while trying to secure cities.

So, should I simply sack all American cities and exterminate them, or should I secure the cities with wonders? Are obselete wonders worth it, or can they safetly be destroyed?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

If the wonders are obsolete then they are of no benefit to you while any city with ancient wonders is likely to require massive amounts of units to keep. I see no advantage to keeping the city, my advice is...

BURN BABY BURN
    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

burn cities with obsolete wonders.

Comment

Burn obselete wonders.

If, on the other hand, they have Leo's, Sistine's, Bach's, etc get some culture of your own and fight!

Comment

yes, yes I do.

Comment

almost never- unless I have no hope of keeping the city.

Comment

Burn'em, burn'em all.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Oh hell yes. Don't just burn the obsolete ones, either. There is just something very invigorating and liberating about that moment of "To hell with it" as you decide to raze the Pyramids or Sistine's (never Sun Tzu's or Leo's, though, of course ). Seriously, sometimes it just feels great to go against the obvious game benefits and raze a still-functional wonder. Makes me feel like Chingis Khan.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I don't oftenly burn cities at all.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Depends on my mood I guess, and local geography

If you can wipe them out completely in relatively short time, you should try to keep as many as possible. Use large amounts of obsolete troops to pacify them, and keep troops around to recapture them should they flip. (AKA 'I don't care if they flip'-tactic)

If they got unaccessible cities, or can put up with enough resistance to give you a prolonged war, just burn them all

One positive side-effect of keeping them is that the other AIs won't swamp newly freed territory with their own settlers (but then again, this may be exactly what you wish )
                    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Or just starve them....
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Well, so update- the war was a nasty Phyrric victory.

I took the Americans down from about 20 cities to 3. There were a few issues, but in the end, it was always just a matter of getting my army there and crushing him.

The problem is, the war was costly (had to put my luxury slider up to 50% due to a seevre lack of luxuries- as you may know, in marla's map luxuries are spread out to force trading, and I had little to trade) and I have fallen deep in a tech hole- I am about 7 techs behind the tech leaders in the industrial age- first time that i can remember that someone else begun and got Hoover dam!

Now I am involved in a campaign against the Inca to secure rubber, which i will win, but just means my tech gap shall remain huge.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

MWAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Take that pyramid down - Stargate style!!!!
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I'll raze/abandon cities only if I can't keep them. This happens very seldom, but when it does, not even active wonders survive.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

A note to burning cities. Instead of razing them, take the city, sell the improvements, then right click on it and abandon it. To my knowledge, it isn't considered an atrocity to abandon a city, only to raze it, and therefore preserves your undocumented integrity with the other civs...

Comment

Working...
                              X