AI Allies??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Allies??????

Ok, I have been playing CivIII for a long time, and I absolutly love it. And call me a n00b if you soo desire, but is there NO AI ALLIES?!?!? I mean, in all my games, the one i am playing now is the most peaceful, so I am trying to gain some good allies to back me up if I come across some trouble. My past expirences with AI Alliances have proved poor, and from what I read from the wise leaders of Apolyton, there is not much hope for any type of Loyalty from the AI.

Maybe I dont fully know how to MAKE the Allies, or maybe AI Allies are just not available in Civ3. If they are not, does anyone know if there is or could be a Mod for more Loyalty?

I would be happy to hear what ya'll have to say! THANKS!

Yes, with Conquests you can create your own mod with locked alliances, like the WW II : Pacific and Napolonic conquests.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Allies?

just stomp everyone into submission

my point is the quality of the AI as allies is questionable at best. Amazingly SMAC was better at this I believe. They actually gave you units to help in your war. I thought that was just so cool. Something civ4 should have. It would help represent the lend-lease of ww2.

Comment

THANK YOU! Finally someone who thinks as i do! lol, SMAC was better! At least back then, when a nation hated another one, they REALLY MEANT IT! I mean, there was rarely those times when two nations would war for years and then turn around and join forces. I mean, in Civ3 I dont think that there is enough emphasis on alliances. I WISH we could transfer units! THAT was the greatest thing i thought. And as someone in another thread intelligently pointed out: "Giving resources to another civ is like giving resources to a future enemy." I agree completely, however i wish it were not so true. Where is the loyalty? Why do they constantly bit the hand that has fed them?

You guys rock! Thanks for the input!

Comment

yep, at least they should have system that if you are in the same goverment, they should be friendlier and not be so easy to declare war on you.

Sometimes I play with the settings (if you have conquest) on least aggressive. I find the AI too easily declares war on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            yep, at least they should have system that if you are in the same goverment, they should be friendlier and not be so easy to declare war on you.
            They are a little friendlier, especially if it's their favorite government. It doesn't mean they're noticably less likely to declare war, unfortunately.

Comment

diplomacy is non existant in civ3-smac is so much fun in this regard.play civ3 for the more modern game and SMAC if you want more features
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

It all depends, I guess. If you know how, then you can use the AI quite well. But you'll need to actually keep yor deals, and you will usually need to have something to offer them. Oh, wait, isn't that what real life diplomacy is about?

The whole game model is different from that in SMAC, if you aven't noticed. In Civ, you don't have a couple thousand people and an outstanding leader, all in very difficult conditions. You have millions, with some sort of government. Why is it so difficultt to understand, that personal hatred doesn't rule this system? National security comes first, that's all (actually RNG does ). Yes, it flattens the diplomacy (I too like the one in SMAC better), but that's not a strange thing IMO.
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

so your saying lack of diplomacy=realism?countries are on freindly terms and alliances all over the place.as is now,MPP's are just 20 turn deals that simply prevent war.even with locked alliances,like in that tutorial scen,the ''allies'' treat you like trash
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Well, to you it is lack of diplomacy. Sorry, but I disagree.

Personally, I greatly enjoy orchestrating AI actions with my diplomacy. You have to know what to trade, when and to whom (make them go to war, win or lose one - when you want it). You have to know with whom to ally and when.

And no, an alliance turning into a war is nothing strange to me. Does the name "Cold War" ring a bell? I'm saying, lack of everlasting vendettas and constant alliances = realism. It fits the Civ3 model.

Comment

Yeah, countries often act in their own interests and pay no more than lip service to their allies in RL.
                      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

they still go to war too easy. That's why I recommend playing on least aggressive setting.

Comment

I tend to think "least aggressive" generally makes the game easier on any level from Monarch to Diety.
                          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            they still go to war too easy. That's why I recommend playing on least aggressive setting.
                            Have you ever actually counted how many times an AI will go to war, if not enticed by you? I mean throughout it's entire history. Because, somehow, I think it would be far less aggressive than it's real counterpart. Brief review of medieval history shows more wars than an entire civ game can have. To me, the Civ3 world is an extremely peaceful place, by comparison.

Comment

Alright Modo, I would be very interested as to some of the specific ways in which you 'orchastrate' the AI through diplomacy, I would honestly be very interested on how you manipulate the computer so easily with such limited options available.
                              Thats one of the reasons I started the thread, I wanted people to give me some ideas as to how to do just that.
                              Thanks for the posts guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X