Rush Building with Great Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Building with Great Leaders

In my recent game I have had 4 great leaders. One scientific and three military leaders. The scientific leader only gave me the option of having a scientific age. Of my military leaders only one has allowed me to rush a wonder.

Is this how the leaders are supposed to work? In some games my scientific leader will let me rush a wonder, but not all. What are the requirements? I cannot find detailed information about this in the civilopedia.
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Yes, sort of, in C3C you can only use an SGL (scientific leaders) to either rush a great wonder or increase the research rate temporarily. You can hold the SGL for as long as you want. This is the case if you get one and have no wonder to build currently. Wait until you do have one. (You can have as many as you want at any pone point in time.)

MGL (military leader) can only be used to create an army, rush a small wonder and certain structures.

Some restrictions exist to the creation of armies. Namely you can only have one for each 4 cities in your empire. They are few small wonders, so it is not so easy to have one available to rush.

In the main it is best to create armies, if you have room for another. They are times in some games where you have no need to create armies via a leader and may need to burn one on a structure.

This is common, when you have lots of armies and can build them from the MA.

The thing to be aware of is that you cannot create another MGL, if you have an MGL already. This means you will want to use one, if you have lots of elites and many battles going on at that time.

This is where I tend to burn them on structures. If you are allowed to make more armies, you can do that and not fill the army at that time, another good option.

Comment

Good information to know. Thank you.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I believe you can't rush a wonder with a SL if you've cut down Forest in the area.

Comment

You can't build a wonder in a city with "tainted" shields. That is any chops or disbands.

You could however rush the wonder in some city that did not have any tainted shields or wait for the current build to be completed.

Comment

Yep, that sounds right on the chopped, disbanded sheilds.

How about where you rush (through cash) a small improvement and then switch the build to a larger improvement.

I dont think that will work either.
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
              Yep, that sounds right on the chopped, disbanded sheilds.

How about where you rush (through cash) a small improvement and then switch the build to a larger improvement.

I dont think that will work either.
              No, it won't - the rushed shields are marked "tainted" as well. If you need to start a wonder in this city, make sure it finishes it's current build as fast as possible (for example switch to something that wwould be done in a turn). Then you can start building the wonder.
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't think that would work as well.

Building wonders is so linear.
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Are you guys sure about the "tainted shields"???

I can't remember ever having a problem with the SGL in rushing wonders were I chopped down forests. And I chop down forests a lot. When you have railroads going through its has the same effect as a forest, plus you get an extra food on grassland tiles that are mined.
                  "And his word shall carry
                  death eternal to those who
                  stand against righteousness."

Comment

Were you, by chance, already building the wonder when you chopped? Tainted shields in the production box prevent you from switching to a wonder, but when you're already building one the tainted shields just get thrown away.
                    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

No.

I was already building something else when I stole a tech from the AI, then switched production to the wonder from the tech I stole, and then finished the production with a SGL. Wonder was completed next turn.

Comment

And you're certain you had tainted shields? Do you have a save?
                        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"

Comment

Yeah I'm sure. I was in Industrial Age. My culture rich, shield rich city was building a factory. I was currently researching Fascim. One of the AI's completed Electronics. Switched city to Hoover.

The game I'm currently playing has progressed too far. All wonders have been built.

Maybe be it's a bug. Because my paratroopers can't capture unoccupied cities. Everytime I try to drop one, I get a "Air Drop Failed" message and I lose the unit.

Comment

Is it possible you were trying to do the infinite forest exploit, where you chop and replant ad nauseum?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib
                              Maybe be it's a bug. Because my paratroopers can't capture unoccupied cities. Everytime I try to drop one, I get a "Air Drop Failed" message and I lose the unit.
                              No, that's what is supposed to happen. Unlike in Civ 2, paratrooper can't capture undefended cities. The same thing happens when trying to capture an undefended radar tower (as I found out the hard way ). It's unfortunate, IMO, that the designers did this because paratroops are pretty useless as they currently stand.
                              "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X