Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sign the pledge: Patch Civ3 or we'll wait for the bargain bin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game is fun -- despite some of the serious bugs described in these forums.

I will buy the new Civ release, but Firaxis is at a fork in the road. They could potentially elevate the franchise to a new level in the new release OR they could drive this product right into the dirt. If they do the latter there will be no Civ5 and that would be a shameful way to end this wonderful franchise.

As Sir Ralph has pointed out, we have very little leverage on the situation.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

maybe we could band together and using the massive war chest here at poly (see poly membership) and thus buy them out

/me pours a drink and heads off into the corner shaking his head
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

I would hope Civ4 would be less buggy out of the box. Supposedly they are using a new code for Civ4. A big part of the problem with Civ3 is that it uses an older code that is not very easy to work with.

*Fingers Crossed*
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Well see, the quote is quite interesting... Think, these boards have trashed CIV3 Complete as a lame off-colored release of an patently unfinished, unsupported product. So, how are sales doing?

Rumors affect sales. Now in mere weeks this prophetic utterence will be scrutinized! I love that, I have been wrong before, like with house prices going up. However, I was buying and trying to get the seller to see it 'my' way.
          The Graveyard Keeper
          Of Creation Forum
          If I can't answer you don't worry
          I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Antrine
            gnome what do think of Firaxis having to go 3-D with CIV4? As a 'rumor' supports, the 3-D will come from 'Pirates' model. Is that game any good? Is it turn based 3-D? How is that workable. I wonder, is 3-D and board games even ideas that can work one platform conceptually? Why do I have a sinking feeling about all this, it seems to me that turn base games are two-dimensional, you know converted board games, and this is just part and parcel of its culture and appeal.

Any thoughts other than morbid?

Sincerely
            I have never played "Pirates," so I can't comment on that... but I don't mind a 3-d look to a 2-d game. It can be done well... think of "relief" sculptures.

On the other hand, they might be doing something radical like having a spherical map, which 3-d effects would help with tremendously.

Comment

Gnome:

Put my name on the list, its the principle that counts.

I will not buy CIV IV until I am convinced that the money spent will be worth it. If Firaxis is willing to put C3C on the commercial market as poor as it is then why should I expect a superior product for CIV IV? So If I do buy CIV IV it will definately be at a reduced price unless I can be assured that the propduct delivered will match the product hyped.

As for 3-D models from board games. interplay has done a very good job turning SFB into the Starfleet Command series
              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Thanks both for the 3-D feedback. No matter it is probably over a year away so the issues of Conquest remain as open wound. Well, any closure is starting to look nice...

However, in this time and maybe now always I am boycotting Firaxis or Atari Products et al.
                The Graveyard Keeper
                Of Creation Forum
                I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

You all should know that I keep the petition list at home, and if I will ever see any of you commenting to anything in cIV, I'll know you broke your code.

Since civ3 will never be patched, you just swore to never play cIV.
                  How stupid can one be
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I swore against everything but Conquests, patch 1.15 as stated many 'moons' ago... here in the forums, I just confirmed same. You can wait/have/drool over the up and coming wonders of CIV4, I will haunt Conquest Creation as the head graveyard keeper.

I am not even going raise my eyebrows over another patch for Conquests, UNLESS they 'farm it out'.
                    The Graveyard Keeper
                    Of Creation Forum
                    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      You all should know that I keep the petition list at home, and if I will ever see any of you commenting to anything in cIV, I'll know you broke your code.

How stupid can one be
                      At what time did I state that I would never buy CIV IV? All I said is that I wont be the first in line to pay for beta testing CIV IV.
                      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

How stupid can one be
                        You misunderstand--it is not a pledge to forego CIV 4 completely... simply to insist on paying a bargain price for it instead of full retail.

Comment

Originally posted by Antrine
                          I swore against everything but Conquests, patch 1.15 as stated many 'moons' ago... here in the forums, I just confirmed same. You can wait/have/drool over the up and coming wonders of CIV4, I will haunt Conquest Creation as the head graveyard keeper.

I am not even going raise my eyebrows over another patch for Conquests, UNLESS they 'farm it out'.
                          What are the pros / cons of reverting to 1.15?

Comment

As I remember at the time, for in truth I have not revisited the merits of this issue; it was more a matter of 'distaste' as to how subsequent patches were coming to us. That is with at least as many things improved/changes as diminished/worse. Hard to tell, got nervous and disgusted so I opted out. Why not, 1.15 works just fine. However, another problem may be in the offing, namely will my mod work for those with later patches?

I think so, as a mod comes with its own files and such. Well I do not know until it is tested.

I like the corruption model in 1.15 when using the ‘reduce corruption’ flag option. I use it on a few improvements and once they are built corruption is mostly cured even in outlying cities despite having corruption set high in game editor. I like building far off cities; they feel like having a second fledging CIV way off yonder. This scheme preserves contrast and the satisfaction of overcoming difficulties in game play.

I moved ‘radio’ to the Ancient Age so I am glad to still have it.

Any other issues I am sure I have forgotten.
                            The Graveyard Keeper
                            Of Creation Forum
                            I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

I wouldn't go back to 1.15. The 1.22 patch is alright for multiplayer, if you play without AI; this includes barbarians. It's well balanced and most issues like sub bug, barbarian behavior, lacking armies, bad city placements, bad tile improvements are AI-only issues. So considering the sad fact, that 1.22 is final and a version mess in the future is unlikely, I would recommend C3C 1.22 for PBEMs without hesitation, even over PtW.

However, as singleplayer game it is an abomination, no matter the patch level.

Comment

I'm on the same boat with the "Great idea, but I don't have the will".

Might boycot it if Half Life 2 is really good(and takes up my gaming time).
                                New American UU: Al Gore-Eliminates pollution and you get "The Internet" great wonder instantly.

New Hittite MGL: Howard Dean(listen to what their UU sounds like when it attacks)

Comment

Working...
                                X