Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sign the pledge: Patch Civ3 or we'll wait for the bargain bin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign the pledge: Patch Civ3 or we'll wait for the bargain bin!

Maybe I'm just feeling pedantic today... it is old news that Firaxis is apparently abandoning Civ3 Conquests from further patching, leaving it with game-crippling bugs.

If I were truly ready to abandon Firaxis, I would argue for never buying another of their games again. But one of the things that makes the current situation so frustrating, is that we know Firaxis is capable of giving us what we want. Everything on our top 5 list of issues, so to speak, they actually got right at one phase of the game.

Firaxis seems to think that they do not need to fix up Civ3--they are assuming that their new projects are more important. I believe that we the fans, without rudness or complete abandonment, need to make it clear that ongoing support of previously released games is essential. Since Firaxis seems to be making it as a financial decision, we need to make a financial point to them.

Pursuant to that, I propose the following pledge:

I do not agree with Firaxis dropping patch support for Civ3 and until they revise that decision I pledge not to purchase another Firaxis game at full price.

Let's all wait for their new games to hit the bargain bin before we give them any more of our money. It's not financially justified to do otherwise, if they are released incomplete and abandoned with major problems remaining.

I'll keep a list of usernames here:

Gnome
    Antrine
    Tattila the Hun
    Cataphract887
    OzzyKP
    Kingof the Apes
    Niessuh
    Switch
    Mad Bomber

Anyone who agrees with me and wants on the list, follow up with a post that says "Put me on the list"... I welcome discussion of how this pledge could be re-worded to greater effect, or any words of wisdom that will knock me off this rant and get me to calm down
    Last edited by gnome; September 29, 2004, 19:02.

Well gnome, you are expressing much of my sentiment, much of my feelings on this issue. To wit; I waited until Conquests to buy CIVIII, simply because of the 'editor' issue. CIVII editor spoiled my thinking/playing on what 'should' be available in a game.
    Now, unless CIV4 sports a deluxe go get em, wondrous all encompassing, can't live without 'game editor'; that is also, easy to use (easier) and access to random event or AI sub-routines then I AM out of supporting Firaxis, except to bug them to 'release the Conquest code' to someone, anyone caring competent and prone to timely action.

So you have my vote!
    One more year? Of limping along with Conquests, until we even know if CIV4 is smelling like a 'rat'? Gosh, at this rate, my Mod (unfortunately) is still in the running for being this Christmas' smash hit or next years wonder. And that is pathetic, not because my Mod is less than wonderful, but because a 'nobody' fan is competing with the 'big boys' just because of a too long lasting incompetence. Now that stinks!
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

No way will I have enough fortitude to delay buying Civ4. I will fanboy out and get it ASAP, sight unseen. If it then sucks as Moo3 sort of did, I will be unhappy, but I have to take that chance.

A number of franchises fall into that category for me:

Homm
      Moo
      Civ
      Disciples
      Might and Magic
      C&C
      Warcraft
      Space Empires

and maybe AoW.

Comment

Well, you are on the front-lines then with this one (along with others I know), no problem though, it ain't the money with me anyway. It is having something beautiful that 'works'! I had patience, will have patience, besides I have 'payoffs'; modding. And within the next year I anticipate new wonders to hit the market. If not, you have a front-line seat ticket for the upcoming wonder (my mod), now with working title; 'how to mod to the top of the game designers' heap', or sub-titled, 'how to gain glory through Alice's Looking Glass as a back door'. Catchy eh,?
        The Graveyard Keeper
        Of Creation Forum
        If I can't answer you don't worry
        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

I have much admiration for anyone that does a serious mod.

Comment

I will buy Civ4 (I refuse to call it cIV; this title has yet to be earned), no matter what it costs (in reasonable limits of course), as soon as I restore my cravings to play TBS. This may or may not happen within the next five years. The presence of a halfway bugfree and enjoyable TBS game could speed this up, but oh well... At the moment it's a "sigh", when I think of PtW (fun killing RCP exploit which is hard to resist), and a "bah" when I think of Conquests.

Comment

You know, I understand the problems some advanced players have with this game. I have run into frustrations even at my meagre playing level. I understand the advanced fan base and its analyses and feedback that have helped polish this game and make it even better. But sometimes the rhetoric sounds like I should feel guilty for enjoying the game at all, or at least go get "idiot" tatooed on my forehead. This is especially true when it comes down to "Do this or else" type rhetoric. Personally, being just as contrary-minded as many others I have observered here, whenever I am faced with a "Do this or else" converstation, my instict always leaps towards the "or else". Then again, maybe Firaxis/Atari is less intolerant of veiled threats. Then again, maybe that's the only way to get their attention. Maybe.

As for me, as I think about it, I think I need to go find a tatoo shop. After all, I'm still having fun. What's wrong with me?
              If you aren't confused,
              You don't understand.

Comment

Sign me up.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Eris, mind I tag along for that tattoo? Could use one myself .
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                    No way will I have enough fortitude to delay buying Civ4. I will fanboy out and get it ASAP, sight unseen.
                    Particularly, as the run up to the game gets closer, anticipation on boards like this become more tangible, screen shots and reviews start appearing, and buzz becomes louder and louder. As with C3C, I will buy it day one.
                    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

While I admire the ide of pettition, I'm just too weak willed.

Comment

Originally posted by eris
                        You know, I understand the problems some advanced players have with this game. I have run into frustrations even at my meagre playing level. I understand the advanced fan base and its analyses and feedback that have helped polish this game and make it even better. But sometimes the rhetoric sounds like I should feel guilty for enjoying the game at all, or at least go get "idiot" tatooed on my forehead. This is especially true when it comes down to "Do this or else" type rhetoric. Personally, being just as contrary-minded as many others I have observered here, whenever I am faced with a "Do this or else" converstation, my instict always leaps towards the "or else". Then again, maybe Firaxis/Atari is less intolerant of veiled threats. Then again, maybe that's the only way to get their attention. Maybe.

As for me, as I think about it, I think I need to go find a tatoo shop. After all, I'm still having fun. What's wrong with me?
                        Nothing. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game. Going through another phase of addiction now with a "flavor mod" I got from CivFanatics.

I just don't see myself paying full retail price for the next installment.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                          While I admire the ide of pettition, I'm just too weak willed.
                          It's not even so much of a petition, as (I hope) an education for Firaxis.

They believe that it is financially sound to abandon a buggy but popular game. I wish to show that it is not.

Comment

why wait for the bargain bin if you dont want to pay?

put my name on,i would very much like a patch.and yes,i did buy the conquests versiann
                            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by gnome
                              ... Going through another phase of addiction now with a "flavor mod" I got from CivFanatics.

I just don't see myself paying full retail price for the next installment.
                              Rhye's of Civilization works well for me as a base. I have modified that (heavily) for my own purposes.

I wouldn't be "surprised" if the new all-in-one Civ3 Complete includes a new version of C3C as a surprise. Also, once CIV is released, I am sure I'll purchase it within a week (at most)!

Comment

Working...
                              X