No announcement yet.

Settlers and Airlift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ2 model was more realistic though... one airport ought only be able to recieve one unit at a time.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Civ2 was a tad underwhelming in that regard. Perhaps a compromise, like say 3 units per turn and no armor until the modern era. The civ2 model was so restrictive as to be almost useless.

Comment

leaders are scared of flying.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
          Civ2 was a tad underwhelming in that regard. Perhaps a compromise, like say 3 units per turn and no armor until the modern era. The civ2 model was so restrictive as to be almost useless.
          In CIV II you didn't need as many units in your army to begin with as one unit could do so much more in CIV II considering the HP and FP of advanced units. Given the power of advanced units in CIV II, I think that the CIV II model was appropriate for that game. Before devising a proper model for airports in CIV IV, some information would have to be provided on unit strengths.
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Well, yes, however I consider the gross inequities between units to be a major flaw of CivII. Combat was always way too predictable.

So while there was airlift in CivII, you really didn't need it at all. Just fill up just 2 transports with modern units and you could take an entire continent. The main use I had for airlift was moving freight (upgraded caravans) between continents to get those huge trade bonuses.

In any case I was speaking more in general game terms for what seems fair. IMHO, CivIII's method of allowing any number of units to land in one city per turn is too lax, while CivII's restricting each city to one airlift is too restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
              Well, yes, however I consider the gross inequities between units to be a major flaw of CivII. Combat was always way too predictable.

So while there was airlift in CivII, you really didn't need it at all. Just fill up just 2 transports with modern units and you could take an entire continent. The main use I had for airlift was moving freight (upgraded caravans) between continents to get those huge trade bonuses.

In any case I was speaking more in general game terms for what seems fair. IMHO, CivIII's method of allowing any number of units to land in one city per turn is too lax, while CivII's restricting each city to one airlift is too restrictive.
              I can't say that I disagree with you, but I find it hard to be speculative concerning units. I find the CIV III combat system inadequate as too many advanced units are destroyed by ancient ones. Either the AI needs to be revamped where they upgrade their obsolete units or modern units made to be stronger than they are in stock CIV III. Also the RNG needs to be MORE RANDOM.... I'll leave that for now as this isn't really the place to discuss flaws in the combat system (which are numerous)
              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Re: Settlers and Airlift

Originally posted by hobbit1
                I have found that I cannout airlift a settler between two cities like I can other units. Anybody else have this problem or a solution?
                I believe the rules are that only military units can be airlifted unless altered in the editor.

Comment

Workers can be airlifted, as of C3C, maybe it was in the latest patch.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                  X