Settlers and Airlift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlers and Airlift

I have found that I cannout airlift a settler between two cities like I can other units. Anybody else have this problem or a solution?

Click airlift on in the settler screen of the editor
    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

hmmm I guess that entails going into the editor. Is it not possible in the regular game?

Comment

Nope, it isn't. In the default rules, settlers, workers, and artillery can't be airlifted. I think scouts and explorers can't either.

Comment

It's some weird oversight, or something.

Comment

If it was an oversite why wasen't it covered in a patch. Maybe they assume that airlifting those units would be too advantageis(sic) I can see where one city with an airport would let you swarm all over a landmass quickly, whereas transporting them takes time and can be dangerious in wartime.
            It is interestin to note I saw nothing in the manual excluding land units from being airlifted??

Comment

Because they don't care enough. Really, are you going to be settling after you have airports?

Comment

Well yes I often settle after building airports. I often raze cities and dont want other civilizations building back their cities.

Comment

I will sometimes settle after airports even when not razing cities. Sometimes the AI leaves a gap that needs to be filled when it is initially placing cities.

Swarming a continent isn't really an issue by the time you get airports/airfields. The issue is beating that friendly civ next door to that suddenly attractive city site.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

You knew what I meant, new territory. Simply resettling conquered land with settlers from airports isn't any more unbalancing that sending over the military units themselves through an airport.

Comment

The fact you cannot airlift Arty annoys me, but it at least helps the AI a bit.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

if you're taking over a continent it really helps. I think the problem is the worker doesn't want to fly in a military craft, and commercial jets aren't available in the game.
                        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

actually I have found that I can airlift workers but still not settlers...hmmm makes no sense at all

Comment

It makes perfect sense (from a game design standpoint) to not be able to airlift settlers. Settlers are the most powerful unit in the game!

Personally, I have disabled airlift from tanks and other mechanized units. While some modern airlift aircraft can lift modern armored vehicles, they cannot lift them in quantity enough to be meaningful.

Comment

I disagree some of the largest of transports can carry a company of armor. I also think you need to look at the scale of things. Who says that each unit modern represents a single of its type? I think airlifting mechnizied units is intergrial(sp)to alot of stratagies and can provide the much needed firepower, if only to delay, till you can move enmass to the conflict area.

Comment

Working...
                              X