Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games with no iron

What do you do?

Iron to me seems like such an overpowered resource. I'm considering quitting this game. I've never really had another game with no iron that I can think of (except one- and I quit that one).

I play random civs. I ended up as Arabia. I need iron for their uu. My only neighbor is India- who are fairly peaceful... so far. But their uu doesn't require iron (and they also lack iron). The celts are further in and appear to have 2 sources- neither are connected yet.

I need iron for factories. That's the biggie. These are what allow me to win games. I suppose by that point the celts will connect their iron, and I could possibly buy it off of them. I just don't like being in that position.

Go get some from the Celts before they get one hooked up long enough to build GS. Archers, horses and spears should do the trick if you're still in the ancient. If not, longbows and muskets.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I always try and make sure I obtain an iron resource as soon as possible. I've built a city dozens of tiles away just to have iron.

Otherwise I build up my armed forces and try and take over the nearest iron resource.

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
        Go get some from the Celts before they get one hooked up long enough to build GS. Archers, horses and spears should do the trick if you're still in the ancient. If not, longbows and muskets.
        I can't get to them unless I go through India. They are fairly far away (though they are on my continent). by the time I get there, my horseman will be facing pikeman.

my fault I guess. This is what happens when you go for republic before Iron working . I had a crappy starting position anyways. But I never restart immediately. I usually play them through and see if I can make something of them.

Comment

Send more horsemen. Pikes aren't invincible, just good.

The other option would be to beeline for MT, skip the iron age entirely and go get some when you get cavs.

Comment

slap them pikes back into the ground

it has been done before and it will be done again

ahh although the cost in troops and horseflesh may be high, you will have your iron
            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Play as the Indians

Comment

Sounds like a more interesting game than average.

A 'no iron' AAR / strategy would be worth reading.

Comment

Got ivory?
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

You better buddy up with the Celts and/or India. Perhaps an Arabia-Indian alliance against the Celts.

I agree, it does make for a challenging and potentially interesting game!
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      Got ivory?
                      That works too

Comment

Why not RoP with India and invade the Celts?
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                          Why not RoP with India and invade the Celts?
                          I have C3C, I don't think I can ROP yet. What tech does it take to get those diplomatic agreements? I always forget.

Comment

Just an embassy for ROP, which comes with writing.

Comment

I will continue with this game.

Does anyone know if you can build power plants without factories? I don't think you can- you couldn't in civ2. Though I should be able to obtain iron by then.

but I think for once I should continue a challenging game. Like I said, my start position was terrible. It took me 50 turns to research Republic!. I had no rivers to start near.

Because technically- I have never lost a game of civ3- except for the games I retired. But I will not retire in this game. I will force the AI to beat me one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                              X