Working on a mod again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a mod again

Just for fun, I've started to work on a mod again (I stopped working on them cos of the patch and patch and patch BS).

I'm completely reworking the tech tree (first) and since I've been out of the mod-game for so long I need some ideas for techs to include and more interesting lines of research.

So far:

Genetics->cloning->x

this research line will allow creation of bioweapons i.e. dinosaurs (I wanted to use the firaxis graphics since I knew they existed)

That research line will also link into robotics to allow mech-walker-type units at some point.

I've also moved other techs and plan to move the space craft parts to later techs than now.

I've made changes to Industrial and Medieval but I cant remember exactly what so I'll post a screenshot later if anyone answers this.

IIRC I've definitely moved steel (req for chivalry) to Medieval and will add alchemy (fire galleys and catapults) prior to invention

will also add terraced farming to allow irrigation of hills

In prior mods I added copper (resource) and copper working as a tech prior to iron working

animal husbandry which puts the cows on the map is a possibility (I think that comes from the medmod).
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

11 people have looked but none have said a word.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

We have no talent or imagination. so we can't help.

Comment

Go here SpencerH, ... http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

At any one time there are around 100 modders working about, swapping ideas and help. There you will be 'loved'

Here, it is dead!
        The Graveyard Keeper
        Of Creation Forum
        If I can't answer you don't worry
        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          11 people have looked but none have said a word.
          Well, this is very inactive forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Antrine
            Go here SpencerH, ... http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

At any one time there are around 100 modders working about, swapping ideas and help. There you will be 'loved'

Here, it is dead!
            Thanks. I'm aware of the active mod group at fanatics, I just prefer poly

Comment

Originally posted by player1

Well, this is very inactive forum.
              Inactive? Dead is more like it. What the hell happened, (as I said before I stopped after the third vanilla patch) ?

Anyway I've thought of a more philosophical-type question related to this mod, which may suit poly's better.

There are mods with a hundred new techs. Does that improve the gameplay? Somehow, I dont think so. I think that the addition of techs should have a purpose other than just adding more things to research. There are useless techs already within the game that have no purpose. Why add more? In fact I plan to remove or mod those techs.

So from a concept POV, there are essentialy 3 lines of research: units, buildings, and happiness.

It looks to me that the happiness line is deficient in the ancient era. I think the addition of another 'happiness' building (ampitheatre) available from TECH_Theatre (prerequisite Republic) would be useful.

The second conceptual change is to slow down the ancient era fast expansion. I've added 3 ancient techs linked to worker functions (mining, irrigation, cattle) to

Thirdly, I think the unit availability is too limited.
              I've added the resource copper (prerequisite Bronze working) which allows bronze spearmen and swordsmen (Iron gives iron spearmen and swordsmen with slightly enhanced A/D values). Copper is also required for Colossus. Horsemen will come later in the era with TECH_AncientCalvary (prerequisite domestication (cattle) -> husbandry (horses appear)->horse riding (I forget the benefit)->AncientCalvary) and will be a fairly expensive tech. Mercenaries with hidden nationality will appear with marketplace (or maybe earlier).

Comment

SpencerH what do you mean 'linked to worker functions (mining, irrigation, cattle)'? How can you step in these functions via a tech? And if you can, how does it affect AI use of hampered workers until techs are available?

Dead, hell and vanilla. Well vanilla is dead boring and a hell of a sale!

I llike philosophical questions! Sorry I missed the opportunity. A truck load of more techs, well maybe if you keep them all and each one meaningful. I have stuffed some 46 techs into the first age or ancient age and intend to add 3 or 4 more. It works I think, however each one is multiplyingly important. Each have new units, some game features, many a small wonder, the improvement are padded with spitting out units as are the small wonders. Most diplomacy comes on line early on (1/3 thru this ancient age tech).

Anyways enough of my mod. Yes is my answer. And I like having at least three major lines of the tech tree, definately.

Other considerations have bearing on game play, but the tech is all important to control the flow. As far as settler pollution goes, withhold city settler production until tech 4 or 5 and raise the cost significately. I use a wonder an early built wonder to give settlers every so many turns, have the AI's with a number of settlers at startup.

So here are some ideas and thoughts,

Happy Modding!
                The Graveyard Keeper
                Of Creation Forum
                I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Antrine
                  SpencerH what do you mean 'linked to worker functions (mining, irrigation, cattle)'? How can you step in these functions via a tech? And if you can, how does it affect AI use of hampered workers until techs are available?

Dead, hell and vanilla. Well vanilla is dead boring and a hell of a sale!

I llike philosophical questions! Sorry I missed the opportunity. A truck load of more techs, well maybe if you keep them all and each one meaningful. I have stuffed some 46 techs into the first age or ancient age and intend to add 3 or 4 more. It works I think, however each one is multiplyingly important. Each have new units, some game features, many a small wonder, the improvement are padded with spitting out units as are the small wonders. Most diplomacy comes on line early on (1/3 thru this ancient age tech).

Anyways enough of my mod. Yes is my answer. And I like having at least three major lines of the tech tree, definately.

Other considerations have bearing on game play, but the tech is all important to control the flow. As far as settler pollution goes, withhold city settler production until tech 4 or 5 and raise the cost significately. I use a wonder an early built wonder to give settlers every so many turns, have the AI's with a number of settlers at startup.

So here are some ideas and thoughts,

Happy Modding!
                  Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the enthusiasm. I definitely like the idea of limiting the production of settlers for a few techs. It's something I've never thought of.

Worker functions can be linked to a required tech so they cant build mines until mining is discovered or irrigate until irrigation etc. Its the same for all resources. So in this mod cattle dont appear until domestication has been discovered.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of Mesopotamia conquest.

Comment

Heres the ancient era tech tree. It still needs tweaking but its generally ok. I cant figure out why some units appear in the tech tree and others dont.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks nice, however a little uncluttered!
                        Did you post the new unit icons in... I'm sorry I am away from the details right now, but their are two places you need to look at for this. CivFanatics has these details down to a science.

I haven't played the Mesopotamia conquest player1, funny thing when I first purchase C3C, I just jumped in to get it looking like what I had done to CIVII. However, I hear there is good material there in that scenario.
                        The Graveyard Keeper
                        Of Creation Forum
                        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Heres the modern age

Comment

Heres the modern tech tree (try two)
                            Attached Files

Comment

And a snapshot showing two of the dinos that come with one of the new techs. I'm Gonna tweak some more and streamline some of the unit builds but at least I've eliminated the few unit bugs that occurred.

The game played slower than the default, but I only played it on regent so maybe that was a factor. The world wasnt completely colonized till 1000 AD though, so it seems like some of the changes worked.

The AI was quite capable of using the one major strategy change i.e. the hidden nationality land unit "ancient merc".
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X