TOW Infantry and Mobile SAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyOlde
    Couple of questions, Theseus: what are MIs and MPs?
    And why would you need Flak AND Mobile SAMs? Aren't they both doing the same thing?
    MI = Mech Infantry
    MP = Military Police

Flak upgrade to Mobile SAMs
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

The Indian elephant rush is cheesy ?!

That and the spanish rush has to be one the most powerful rushes in games starting in anything after Industrial ages.

I have seen the Indian UU dominating early in future age games. In fact, the Spanish UU is probably a lot better, if you can be lucky enough to find a horse near-by very early on.

On a side-note, I think the Spanish should have recieved "Expansionism" instead of "Religious". Mainly because of the Spanish exploring a good part of the new world, setting colonies up all over South, Central, North America, and Mexico.

In addition, the Spanish were one of the most imperialistic countries in history, rivaling that of England for a good while.

Finally, the Spanish religious trait has much less affected the world then their lust for exploration during the 1500's. Why, their language is spoken in many nations, from the Americas to Africa.

-Ron
      "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaires

Comment

Originally posted by barbeerhj
        Finally, the Spanish religious trait has much less affected the world then their lust for exploration during the 1500's. Why, their language is spoken in many nations, from the Americas to Africa.

-Ron
        I totally agree. The Spanish didn't do very well exporting their religion . . . oh, wait.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Exporting religion?

That comes after imperialization....which in turns comes after explorers have found the land...which comes after the nation decides to try and uncover the unknown.

And what does "exporting religion" have to do with being a religious nation?

-ron
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaires

Comment

Since I started this thread, I've moved quite far along in my current game and have concluded that I will, in future, only build TOW if I have to. They certainly don't compare with Mech Infantry.

I'm not so sure about mobile SAMs. I still like watching my jet fighters scream across the sky and pick off those lumbering bombers! I'll probably stick with them, too.

I'm playing a full out domination game which I've never done before. I got to the point where I sort of had to decide whether I wanted to build a space ship and thought, "Oh hell, not again!" And since Portugal (and the others, for that matter) had been picking on me on and off through the game I decided to just sweep them off the map. I won't wipe them out entirely but make them kiss the ground at my feet. Right now I have 8 or 9 armies in the field and have finished with Portugal; now I'm teaching old Joan of France a few lessons.

I love those armies!
            Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
              By the time I've built up any significant number of Flak/Mobile SAM, my strategy has shifted to a heavy bombardment phase before unleashing with marines and armor, which means I usually have two very vulnerable unit concentrations: air units stacked a mile high on an airfield or two at the front line (to maximize bombardment coverage) and transports in the coastal border city or cities (to let my marines complement the main invasion by taking care of coastal cities). Flak and Mobile SAM prove very useful here, as the AI will invariably target those two concentrations with its bombers, as would I, in its shoes.

Usually this phase will go several turns, until I feel like I've got soft targets everywhere I want to attack in the first invasion turn. This means that the AA units tend to get a workout right up to the point that my enemy's air power is rendered non-existent. There's something very satisfying about seeing every enemy border city left completely unguarded after a round of air raids.
              See..I love Tanking it up!

I go to mass Tank building and Bulldoze my way through, sure, lose a few tanks but overall, wipe em out..I do when well into the game have SAMS set upas well as a few T O W on mountain tops..Love this game

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I tend to end up with TOW Infantry due to defender upgrades for earlier in the game. (I like to hold onto units whenever I can, not always the best strat). I frequenty place an archer in each base as a defender as early on (or longbowman a little later) if I feel relatively safe, on the basis that they bombard defense and can be used for attacking later. Even guerilla's work okay for that.

TOW aren't a primary defense unless needed, but the bombard defense can keep your other units alive if there is a suprise attack.

Mobile SAMs are pretty good. Moving air defenses that can back up jet fighters are never a bad thing.

I guess I like to have a good spread of units. As an example, I would rather have 3 mech infantry and 2 TOW than 5 Mech Infantry in most defensive situations, and 2 Jet Fighters and a Mobile Sam than 3 Jet Fighters.
                Fitz. (n.) Old English
                1. Child born out of wedlock.
                2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by barbeerhj
                  The Indian elephant rush is cheesy ?!

That and the spanish rush has to be one the most powerful rushes in games starting in anything after Industrial ages.
                  Yes, the elephant rush is considered cheesy in MP Future Start games. Why? For the same reason a Future Start jag rush is considered cheesy. Elephants and jags aren't modern units. Future Start isn't about these units. Don't get me wrong - I personally have nothing against it; just explaining the way some people feel about it.
                  "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                  - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

Working...
                  X