Is this the F3 bug? or just one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the F3 bug? or just one?

Does anyone else have the issue of Pressing F3 to see the military screen & next thing being on the MS Windows desktop? Its a pain, mainly if the last auto save was a couple of turns before!!

I am playing CivIII Conquests Version 1.22

thanks

I haven't had that problem.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Is this the F3 bug? or just one?

Originally posted by MartynC
      Does anyone else have the issue of Pressing F3 to see the military screen & next thing being on the MS Windows desktop? Its a pain, mainly if the last auto save was a couple of turns before!!

I am playing CivIII Conquests Version 1.22

thanks
      do you get the pop up that asks to send an error report to microsoft?

I've had that a few time. I'll press F3, the hard drive will run for a few seconds, then that window comes up. I'll hit don't send, and then I'm back on the desktop.

I've been lucky with the auto saves lately.

And to think, I used to not use autosave feature

Comment

Yes, this happens to me very often. I now am in the habit of saving before pressing F3. I also try to go without looking at the military status screen unless necessary. I don't know what the exact bug is, but it has happened on every computer I've played Civ3 on since December 2001.

Comment

Curious, I've never experienced this.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Is this the F3 bug? or just one?

Originally posted by Dissident

I've had that a few time. I'll press F3, the hard drive will run for a few seconds, then that window comes up. I'll hit don't send, and then I'm back on the desktop.

I've been lucky with the auto saves lately.

And to think, I used to not use autosave feature
            I have never been asked for the MS Error Report popup screen in Civ III. At least the save & auto save functions work

Comment

I didn't get it in the game I just finished. So it's not often for me. Maybe once every other game at the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

Isn't the report thing new with XP? I don;t recall ever getting it with my 2K machines.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                  Curious, I've never experienced this.

Comment

Yes, the "Report this to Microsoft" is a feature of XP.

I kept wondering why the F3 bug was never fixed and then I realized that it doesn't affect a lot of people. Hits me all the time. I suspect it has something to do with how you play. Something in how I build my military creates a problem often when loading that advisor.

Comment

Re: Is this the F3 bug? or just one?

Originally posted by MartynC
                      Its a pain, mainly if the last auto save was a couple of turns before!!
                      The game executes an auto save at the beginning of each turn, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple

The game executes an auto save at the beginning of each turn, in my experience.
                        it has in mine as well.

It was only recently I've been using autosave. It seems to save the last 5 turns or so.

Comment

AFAIK, the problem was found to have something to do with spies... until you planted a spy with a rival civ, you were fine. Once there is a spy planted, the game may crash - it happened to me many times, too.

Autosave on.

Comment

Using Microsoft Multimedia keyboard, does not happen to me. One possible thing to try is make sure you have the latest driver for your keyboard, assuming you can find one. This can be tough for generic keyboards. Try using a different keyboard also.
                            i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

I don't think it's related to the keayboard you are using. However, I've never had that bug myself.
                              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                              X