No announcement yet.

Palace improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I was conquering Rome, and doing good, so all the Roman citizens were revolting. However, I finally killed them off, and almost every former Roman city had a We Love the Queen Day (I was Egypt under a Monarchy), and it didn't trigger a Palace improvement.

While the palace improvements are useless and serve no strategic advantage, they are just interesting eye-candy, which I like. So, I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't interrupt the flow of the game for me.
    I always hear about the innocent bystanders. Where are all of the guilty ones? -Vince278

Comment

I still like doing my palace.

In fact, playing a random game I got to build a architecture I have never done before. middle eastern.

I'm playing the persians.

I did not get one after defeating my first barb unit. I do believe I got one after my first wonder. I got several during my golden age.

Comment

I actually never finished my palace.....
        what happens when you finish your palace?

Besides that, in civ1 you saw your enemy with his palace in the background. That was quiet cool, a good indication on how happy his people were with him.
        In mp games that's a cool feature. In civ4 we want that as well (at least I want it)
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I turned off the Palace long ago, but back when I did have it on, I could never shake of the impression it popped up as soon as anything went seriously wrong, just to mock me.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
            I actually never finished my palace.....
            what happens when you finish your palace?
            It's finished.

That, and you don't get any more pop-ups about being able to add on parts since none are left to be added.

Comment

yes.

It doesn't actually tell you it is finished. But I've played enough times, I cant tell when I'm placing the last couple of parts.

Comment

That's a problem with civ3, if you achive anything, nothing cool happens. Even the victory screens suck.

Civ1 had a very good ending with your planet-lander on the planet next to alpha centauri...............
                Or was that civ2? Whatever...

Comment

Actually, the palace screen would be the perfect place for hiding those easter eggs

Imaging your palace shake and crumble into a heap of bricks just because it was UNs international geophysican day

Any good palace mods around btw?
                  Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

You should see your palace in your capital.
                    And meet foreign visitors in it.

Comment

I concur CyberShy.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I think that you palace is also changed in the city view screen depending on how your palace is doing in it's own screen. I could be wrong but I don't think so...

Comment

Yes, the city view palace does change. It isn't an exact following of your palace improvements, though; rather, I think it goes through several stages depending on the number of improvements made rather than where you made them.

Comment

I don't mind the palace view but it is meaningless. It would be better if you got a benefit with each build such as increased optimal cities, decreased corruption, etc. Maybe they could do something like the HFOG reduction in MOO3.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

If you would meet with foreign visitors in your palace, a bigger and more beautifull palace could impress your visitors, so you can get better deals.

In that case it differs if you go to your neighbour and ask him for something then if your neighbour comes to you.

And his power should be visualised with armies surrounding the palace.
                              A little bit as in civ1, but better.

I surely would rethink an attack on my neighbours if I visit him in a palace surounded by avanced soldiers and very wealthy treasures.
                              And of course, see the leader himself sitting on his trown.

Comment

Reminds me of Louis XIV and the building of Versailles.
                                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Working...
                                X