Palace improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palace improvements

I just saw a thread lately posted with almost the same subject line. But what i hoped to find was how to get those improvements.

Not that i have problems in getting them, but for me it is something that just happens accidentially. What i believe it could be is something like this:

Culture points (total)
    First battle won

What else can it be - can anyone set of a list for how to improve it?
    "The world is a fine place and worth figthing for." (Ernest Hemmingway)
    "Non progredi est regredi"
    "Let's make things better." ("Phillips")

Why? I would just as soon have it disabled as an option. It was annoying in civII and still is in CivIII.

Comment

When I 1st started playing CivIII I tried to figure out the purpose of the palace screen. Nowadays I just ignore it. Playing on my own mod it doesn't appear. I don't know why it doesn't, but it's bliss
      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I think you can build new improvements when you're significantly improving your kingdom.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Yes i know, but this doesn't quite help me with my question, does it Can anyone give me a list or something that tells me how to improve on my palace. Like i said, winning the first battle if i'm not wrong etc. etc. etc.
          "The world is a fine place and worth figthing for." (Ernest Hemmingway)
          "Non progredi est regredi"
          "Let's make things better." ("Phillips")

Comment

Originally posted by RMS
            When I 1st started playing CivIII I tried to figure out the purpose of the palace screen. Nowadays I just ignore it. Playing on my own mod it doesn't appear. I don't know why it doesn't, but it's bliss
            In Conquests it only appears if you are playing under default game rules. Tweak the editor and it dosnt appear
            "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Sporally
              Yes i know, but this doesn't quite help me with my question, does it Can anyone give me a list or something that tells me how to improve on my palace. Like i said, winning the first battle if i'm not wrong etc. etc. etc.
              I've never noticed any pattern, always assumed it was fairly random, although when your overall performance is good then the screen pops up more frequently.
              "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I can't recall any post that gave any real data on it, but you could try the search.

It is not random, I am sure it is tied to the happiness of the empire. Get in we love you and you will get the pop up soon.

Comment

Improvements do seem to come rather predictably, especially in the early game... Perhaps we could try to figure it out by taking notes of our number of cities, number of units, culture, number of wonders, rankings in score etc for the early game and try to find a pattern.

I have searched around and found no real info about this.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

It oftenly happens as well when war is declared upon you.
                    And sometimes it happens every 2/3 turns, when things are going fine.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

My understanding of palace improvements is that they come with a set of conditions. When each condition is met, you get a palace improvement. Some of these conditions are score goalposts (when you reach X score or something like that), some are specific types of events such as the first time you kill a barbarian, the first time you conquer a city, etc.
                      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

IMHO,1st time you kill a barbarian always triggers the palace.
                        A thought: if the palace improvement screen serves no viable game purpose, what is the point of conditions and score goals? Oh well, if people like it, why not?
                        "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

...and you can always turn these things off.
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

yep- I'd say happiness.

As soon as I get into a war- which I never start. The ai declares war on me. This will cause a popup for palace improvement. The ai declaring war on you will boost nationwide happiness. So I'd go with happiness being the reason.

Comment

From experience I can confirm that there's no trigger for the first time you destroy a Barb unit (this is easy enough to test out).

I'm reasonably certain there's one for the first time you successfully defend against a Barb assault on one of your cities.

Your first Wonder (not conquered) is also a trigger, I think.
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X