Directed Forest Chopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directed Forest Chopping

In one of my recent games, I have tightly packed cities (2-space and 3-space). I have 2 cities (call them A and B), with 2 tiles between them, and the tile touching A is a forest. I would like to chop this forest, and have the 10 shields go to B. Is it possible to direct the shields there?

I was thinking the turn before the chop completes I could switch A to a wonder temporarily, and the shields would not be able to go to that city. Will the game simply throw out the shields, or will they go to B?

Thanks in advance. This is for a PBEM I'm in so no rush
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Re: Directed Forest Chopping

Originally posted by Uber KruX
    I was thinking the turn before the chop completes I could switch A to a wonder temporarily, and the shields would not be able to go to that city. Will the game simply throw out the shields, or will they go to B?
    That's the way to do it: the game will not throw away the Shields if there's another city within distance that can use them.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Although I've not tested this out, I think the game selects which city to give the Shields using the following criteria (in order of importance):

1. Build (Wonders never get Shields)
      2. Distance (closer cities are always preferred)
      3. Rank (i.e if there's a tie, your capital always wins)

It's the last one that I'm not certain of.
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I think 3 may have to do with number of shields left on the build.

Comment

My experience was that the first criterion was if one city or another was WORKING that forest tile, and the shields would go to that city (if applicable).

Comment

Thanks guys. I switched to the Pyramids real quick and it worked like a charm.

Does anyone have any expierence with Jaybe's assertion?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've used the city-working-the -tile method to get the shields to go where they are needed before, sending the shields to the more distant of two cities without switching to wonders.

Comment

When you chop a forest, the city receiving the shields is determined in this order of priority (keypad directions to city location from forest):
                9-6-3-2-1-4-7-8-98-99-96-36-33-32-12-11-14-74-77-78

Of course, cities building a Wonder or belonging to a different civilization are not considered. And contrary to popular belief, worked tiles make no difference to where the shields end up.
                Last edited by alexman; June 14, 2004, 13:37.

Comment

Not that alexman needs me to bolster what he's saying, but I distinctly remember in a recent game trying the "worked tile" method to direct the shields and being surprised when it failed.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                    When you chop a forest, the city receiving the shields is determined in this order of priority (keypad directions to city location from forest):

Of course, cities building a Wonder or belonging to a different civilization are not considered. And contrary to popular belief, worked tiles make no difference to where the shields end up.

you know far too much.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                      Very interesting, though you forgot the 2-straight-tiles cases. Since the pattern is obvious, the order is 9-6-3-2-1-4-7-8-98-99-96-66-36-33-32-22-12-11-14-44-74-77-78-88. And I second Uber KruX. You know far too much!

Comment

Cities in the 2-straight-tiles cases (66, 22, 44, and 88) do not have the forest in their radius, so they cannot receive the shields.

Comment

True, of course. Perhaps I should begin to play a bit again to remember, that what's straight on the numpad is diagonal in the game, and vice versa.

Comment

You scare me

Who gets the shields if you cut someone else forest?

OT-warning:
                            A couple of weeks ago I was flying over europe on my way home from holiday. Luckily I got a window seat(I just love that ) and during the trip I was doing my usual switch-off-sentient-parts-of-brain-and-see-what-happens routine. My train of thought went something like this:
                            ...there's a lot of people living here...but not much forest...2000 years ago there were nothing but trees*...wondered what it looked like?...how would a tree planting unit in civ3 work?...what if I modded the cruise missile to plant forest in one turn and renamed it 'flying treehugger'?...would give some interesting strategies...everyone would starve to death if you made the units cheap enough...there would be no pollution problems though...

*I was over spanish territory when the first thought arrived so 2000 years might not be enough.
                            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Don't we have a tree planting unit called a worker?

Comment

Working...
                              X