No announcement yet.

Numidian Mercenaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I don't yet have conquests, it seems as if to assess the shield usage of the NM fairly you'd need to look at the alternative. How many players would build a spearman first, and then build/upgrade it to a pikeman when it comes around.

So that's 20 sheilds for the spearman and 30 for the pikeman, meaning 50 total whereas the Carts could just build it once and keep it until muskets.

Granted the Hopilite does this too, and is better, but the NM is still a net gain as a unit.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

By the time you upgrade to a pike the 30 gold is not a big deal to you.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
        By the time you upgrade to a pike the 30 gold is not a big deal to you.
        I would have to disagree. With the upgrade costs being so much more expensive in C3C, think of the myriad other uses you could find for that gold rather than spending it on spear-to-pike upgrades. It may not seem like much until you think about everything else you could do with the same cash.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Yes, 30 gold per Pikeman is very expensive for that age.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

30 gold is not as big a deal as 10 extra shields are in the ancient age.

Comment

On the other hand, Swiss Mecrenacy doesn't need ridiculus 90gp upgrade to muskets.

Comment

Yeah, but just think of the cost when upgrading Swiss Mercs to Riflemen or Infantry!

Comment

true

Comment

Delenda est Cartago! ^_^
                    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                    X