No announcement yet.

Non-Rexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You aren't supposed to know what they look like Trip.

Comment

Mex (Modest Expansion)

I use this approach in my strictly defense-only games.

I like playing Monarch level because

a) you don't start in a hole
      b) it's quicker

To compensate for the fact that the game at this level is far too easily slaughtered by the human taking over one neighbour and/or securing resources militarily, I permit no capture of enemy cities.

This means resource problems and no spaceship, but the good old diplo win is there for the peacemonger to cash in on.

On a standard map, (continent or pangea) a modest expansion of around a dozen cities - wide spaced at the core and probably 3-space at the border (unless rel/sci) is enough. The wide spacing is to maximise the chance of bagging the scarce resources, and it doesn't matter about the loss of output early on because it's only monarch level, and you don't need every drop. If you get some round-shaped land around the capital you don't even need an FP. Golden Ages are not even mandatory either.

It's a trading game, where you might have to buy into a lux supply before anyone else can and then hold it - the whole game - otherwise you never get it back easily.

Many resources will be unobtainable - in some cases you can ship workers out to that backwater with two coal - gift them half an era in tech on the turn the 2nd coal is roaded then buy it before the AI does.

Killer AI's are a threat - but often the most likely source of resources. Building the UN can be a dash for the line if a KAI takes a whole continent, and avoiding war can be tight - but that's the challenge. Rather than playing on the high levels and fighting my way out of trouble, I like to start on the even pitch but restrict my own civ to only the land it can grab. Defensive wars can be fun too, btw. Unlike offense, there's more to lose than just units.

Comment

Working...
      X