Barbarians! Bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarians! Bug?

In all versions of Conquest barbarians will only attack or move to attack any unit (with the exception of units with a defence of 0) located in an exact NW or SE direction of barbarians themselves. A unit positioned in any other direction - no matter how close - wont even make the largest horde of barbarians move an inch or take any initiative to do anything but get slowly killed one by one over the following turns.

Since barbarians was for more active in previous versions of Civ I can only assume this is in fact a bug and one that appears to have been overlooked or ignored so far. I for one would like to see it fixed.

Interesting observation... It is well known that Barbs in C3C are neutered - they always tracked down your workers/settlers/undefended cities in PtW and were pretty ruthless then. Not sure why the change for C3C though....
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I think they wanted to make barbarians a bit smarter. Rather than trying to attack strong units they have no chance at all to kill, they aim for weaker targets, pillaging or attack if nothing else can be attacked.

I'll look for the NW/SE-attacking that CyberChrist discovered and see if the same thing happens in my games. My it is a kind of workaround that the designers made or forgot

Comment

Re: Barbarians! Bug?

Originally posted by CyberChrist
        In all versions of Conquest barbarians will only attack or move to attack any unit (with the exception of units with a defence of 0) located in an exact NW or SE direction of barbarians themselves. A unit positioned in any other direction - no matter how close - wont even make the largest horde of barbarians move an inch or take any initiative to do anything but get slowly killed one by one over the following turns.

Since barbarians was for more active in previous versions of Civ I can only assume this is in fact a bug and one that appears to have been overlooked or ignored so far. I for one would like to see it fixed.
        hi ,

what version and patched or not , ....

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Re: Barbarians! Bug?

Originally posted by panag what version and patched or not , ....
          Hmm, I would think that I already said that by saying "In all versions of Conquests..."

Comment

I posted a thread on this when C3C came out. Citing several silly situations. More than a dozen barb horsemen forted next to a single unit defending a town and not being willing to attack.

They would sit there while say a horse or AC will kill one each turn. It is very sad. I just had an uprising of 16 units not willing to attack a single AI horse, that was damaged. They just moved past it.

Comment

Yep, the C3C barbs are a shame.

I'll keep my eyes open for that NW-SE phenomenon - I seem to recall having seen barb attacks in other directions, but I'm not certain.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yesterday I started to play on a map of Arda (The world Tolkien wrote about, see the files-section). This map has a lot of huts and that means a lot of barbarians. I kept and eye open for this phenonema and it's true! They will only attack units on the NW-SE-axis. If your are NW of a barbarian and there are more barbarians on the same axis, they will move against you. If you move, they will stop.

Comment

This must be a bug then.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Barbarians! Bug?

Hmm, I would think that I already said that by saying "In all versions of Conquests..."
                    hi ,

so one can asume hat you have disks of all versions , from all languages , ......

funny how the barbs on this end dont have that bug , ....

so , ...... what versions is a nice Q , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Have the latest patch installed. I won't bother with trying with earlier patches, but it happens with my version anyway. English version, don't know if there's a difference in UK and US

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Barbarians! Bug?

Originally posted by panag
                        funny how the barbs on this end dont have that bug , ....
                        Are you sure you understood the problem correctly? Barbarians will ONLY move toward nearby 0 defence units or toward ANY unit that is in their direct NW or SE path. Also single barbarians on barbarian camp will only ever move to kill 0 defence units. This does not mean they will only move directly NW or SE themselves, but they will stop moving once there is no units in NW or SE direction of them.

Just to make sure than we are talking about Conquest expansion only.

If your version works diferently (which I doubt) then could you please post your laguage version/patch # as well as a few screenshots from consequetive turns showing you either barbs not moving during those conditions and/or moving during other conditions (remember far away units will trigger them to move also - if in a direct NW/SE direction).

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barbarians! Bug?

Are you sure you understood the problem correctly? Barbarians will ONLY move toward nearby 0 defence units or toward ANY unit that is in their direct NW or SE path. Also single barbarians on barbarian camp will only ever move to kill 0 defence units. This does not mean they will only move directly NW or SE themselves, but they will stop moving once there is no units in NW or SE direction of them.

Just to make sure than we are talking about Conquest expansion only.

If your version works diferently (which I doubt) then could you please post your laguage version/patch # as well as a few screenshots from consequetive turns showing you either barbs not moving during those conditions and/or moving during other conditions (remember far away units will trigger them to move also - if in a direct NW/SE direction).

hi ,

well maybe its due to mod and other scen rules , but huh tried with units all around and nope , they go for each direction , .....

anyway , a message is send to the makers , just in case , ....

have a nice day

Comment

This bug is hardcoded, has nothing to do with mods, scenarios or any possible player setup (unless you are really talking about AI player that has been modded to represent barbarians).

What language and patch version are you playing with?

Comment

panag is a Mac user. Quite possibly the game has some difference between PCs and Macs.

Is there even a C3C or v1.22 patch for Macs?!?
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X