Licence to print money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licence to print money

If you offer a civ X gold per turn but i) you have no gold ii) are running a deficit and iii) have no army costs or improvements costs the recipient civ still gets the gold.

There is a potential huge exploit here, primarily present in the early game. Player A can gift massive amounts of gold but not actually having to pay anything, whilst player B would start to roll in the dough.

I asked about this at CGN and miccofl said when this happened "it gave a pop-up [a declare war prompt] when you push the button to end the turn, it prompts you to go back and make changes. It won't say why you are declaring war but if you will not have the funds [...] you agreed to make payment with then you will get the pop-up. Confused the hell out of me the first time it happened."

I played a hot seat game the other day to test it out. No pop-ups appeared, the gold was not 'given' but was still 'received' between the two human players. Cash used for science and luxuries still went towards them. I presume the feature described by miccofl no longer exists in v1.15 Conquests.

Anyone here know what the dillio is on this issue? I've found in my own testing that this licence for co-operative civs to print money can be very lucrative indeed. Of course most people will accept this as cheating and agree not to use it, but I wanted to raise the question - how well known an issue is this?.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

It sounds like part of the gold bug that was patched. Were a gpt deal paid the civ twice and deducted it once.

Comment

Patched in which version?

The problem does not come in being making the deal, or making a deal that pays twice. It comes from the payments 'to other civs' exceeding your national income.

Comment

Screen shot of what I mean attached.

Research funds are going in, the money is being received by other civs - but the mismatch of income and expenses is not leading to a negative bank account.
        Attached Files

Comment

LOL! Ironic that you have to be broke to cash in your license to print money.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Good one!

Fortunately, it seems you can't offer more than 4gpt each time if you don't have a surplus (I tried to offer 10000 gpt and when the other player got the deal, it was showing as 4 gpt).

Also note that the player with the deficit doesn't get his units disbanded because as long as he is under the free support limit, it's not the units that are causing the deficit.

Comment

Conquests

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                Good one!

Fortunately, it seems you can't offer more than 4gpt each time if you don't have a surplus (I tried to offer 10000 gpt and when the other player got the deal, it was showing as 4 gpt).
                You can repeat the action each turn though, so you could conceivably be offering up to 80gpt as minimum.

Comment

opuch - all very sad

wonder what will be found next
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

You can repeat the action each turn though, so you could conceivably be offering up to 80gpt as minimum.
                    How does this work, precisely?
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Each turn you go to the diplomacy screen, offer 4gpt and accept. As deals last 20 turns the maximum concurrent 4gpt deals you can have is 20. 20*4=80gpt. You can multiply by another 2 to 160 if you repeat the deal with another civ.

As problems go its not that major, just don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        Conquests

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), this is not C3C-specific.
                        It happens the same in PTW.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                          Unfortunately (or fortunately?)
                          Makes no difference for me, at the moment.

Comment

Well, fortunately, in that it isn't another bug CAUSED by Conquests, unlike the army problem (or lack there of).
                            I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Funny that this wasn't caught before. Damn accountants.

I always assumed units were disbanded, or if under the limit a building was sold.

Comment

Working...
                              X