Rank the Traits: Seafaring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the Traits: Seafaring

Hi all. Long time reader, 1st time poster.
    I was curious how everyone would "rank" the traits.
    This time: Seafaring

On a scale of 0-5, 0 being totally worthless and 5 being the best, how would everyone rank the Sea. trait?

Update

Seafaring averaged 3.405 after 37 votes.
    5th highest ranked.

Chart coming soon
    2.44%
    0.00%
    7.32%
    41.46%
    41.46%
    7.32%
    Last edited by kobo1d; May 4, 2004, 10:13.

I voted 3, but I am not a big fan of this trait as some. You just don't need it that much even on archipelago maps. I do see a scenario where having dromons could make things easier, but not required.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

An important new trait and easily exploitable to great advantage by a human player against the AI.

I simply don't see how people can rate this trait below Religious.
        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Max points if you play on archipelago. Without curraghs from turn one, you don't explore and you don't trade techs...

And since all your cities will be on the seashore, half-priced harbors are always a good deal...
          The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
            And since all your cities will be on the seashore, half-priced harbors are always a good deal...
            And let's not forget the extra commerce in the centre square for cities.
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Mmmmm....
              Byzantines that have built the Great Lighthouse....

5 move Dromans.....
              :drool:
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Fairly good, particularly with the early contacts. Virtually useless for the AI. Doesn't provide the fun that other traits to IMHO.

Comment

Start with alphabet. Bonus commerce for coastal cities. Extra move/lower sinking chance.

Very powerful in most situations. On a pangea, not so much. But on arch/continents, it rocks.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Same here, 4. Cheaper Harbors are always nice too.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

A 4 for me. The seafaring trait is much more useful especially after I've moved up a level to Emp.

Useful for being in the trade loop, making full use of the GL (if you get it), plus not to mention the long term power of having that slightly faster sea unit (in my opinion, sea units lose a great deal of their mobility bonus after the railroad).

Of course, the draw back is that it's heavily map dependent. If you're on a pangea, then it's quite useless, and on archi maps, it's not that hard to cross sea/ocean tiles since the gap is much smaller. Very useful on continent maps for those 'suicide' ships looking for the other 1/2 of the opponents.

Comment

I like this trait quite a bit on the large continent maps I play: slightly decreased chance of sinking, early contact, cheap harbors, control of communications and an earlier understanding of the shape of the world are all good. And with wonder enabled +2 movement, overseas invasions are little easier as well as catching and picking off the occasional ships the AI sends to harass (bombardment, or dropping off the one or two units on your soil) before they reach the shore or disappear back into the fog of war.
                          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

The logistics of naval matters in Civ drive me crazy. It seems clumsy and slow compared to other parts of the game. I know it adds to the complexity and multi-level nature of the game, and I even appreciate the gameplay when I do have to address water-based issues. However, I still hate water and often reload maps that are archipelago or just too darn flooded. My hydrophobia lowers my appreciation of this particular trait, whose advantages have already been well described.

Voted 3.
                            If you aren't confused,
                            You don't understand.

Comment

updated stats
                              seafaring dropped from 3rd to 5th

Comment

Working...
                              X